US election 2016

Happy Face

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Latino population who voted for him in Nevada? Turkeys voting for Christmas?

It would be hilarious if it wasn't frightening.

The saddest part is that Cruz is an utter fucking nutjob as well so the chances of an 'acceptable' Republican being nominated are pretty slim.

If Trump did make it to the White House, how long would the CIA give him before they shot him?

Was thinking similar the other day. :lol:

(Only after reading this thread, though. I don't usually look at the ins and outs of a foreign country's general election).

:lol: Aye who would have thought going round making insulting and at times racist remarks during a presidential campaign would piss people off. I'm not all that convinced he actually believes a lot of what he says, I think a lot of it is playing up to the morons he has targeted as being his main potential voters.

I wish Bloomberg had run tbh I think he would have been the perfect democrat (provided of course he ran as that) to go up against Trump and win the middle swing vote. I just worry about the wildcard of the swing vote being put off voting for a woman, or a jewish guy who Trump will make out to be an insane communist. I know Bloomberg is Jewish as well but I think with his successful business career there is a good amount of moderate Republicans who would vote for him over Trump.

I feel bad for Americans I know as a lot of them see how massively embarrassing Trump will be, they might have a president that regularly has talked about the fact he would like to fuck his daughter and a first lady who has appeared in playboy. I can't remember who said it but there's a quote talking about how Trump himself isn't the scariest part it's the confidence and voice he gives to these racists that back him, behind this thin veil of patriotism and 'getting our country back'.

Edit: Jorge Ramos (the bloke who got chucked out of a Trump press conference) done a good job recently going and speaking to Trump supporters in New Hampshire:

https://www.facebook.com/jorgeramosnews/videos/504564833062941/

"Is there any specific idea you thought 'yes I'm going to vote for Trump'"

"Yeah... the wall"

"Ah yes so you would build a wall on the border with Canada" :lol:

Edited by Howay

I mentioned i had dinner in last week with 3 Republicans (from New Jersey as it happens). All 3 of them are Senior Director or higher in a massive corporation, highly educated post-grads with strong business / leadership and inter-personal skills.

To quote 'the democrats love the world's problems, they complain about them all the time but they wouldnt exist if the world didnt have problems'

'Nothing wrong with the 1% having all the money, everyone else just expects the state to hand out money'

'50 million people in this country are handed out food stamps thanks to Obama'

'Everyone who has ever opposed the Clinton's winds up dead, they are the most dangerous couple in America'

They all support Trump.

I started quoting Picketty and discussing the role of the aristocracy in europeans not treating the current distribution of income as a given.

Hearing things like that is the most frightening to me, people that are intelligent, successful and competent backing Trump.

I live in an extraordinarily Republican town in NJ (basically a lot of investment bankers, people high up in Insurance and Pharma companies etc) and a lot have the 'I have worked for my money so hands off it' viewpoint which I get to a certain level (of course many have also benefited from a cushy upbringing, the best schools etc but don't try opening that can of worms with them) but I still get disappointed to hear the way they can just absolve themselves of any desire to help the poor, many say some pretty depressing stuff to me as since I'm white and living in a nice area I think they assume I'm a Republican supporter as well.

I was told recently about how Mexicans are coming and taking American jobs and that 'we' have to stem the immigration problem to stop this, the person telling me this seemed oblivious of the fact that I actually am the 'problem' in that instance and not many Mexican immigrants. I recently beat out American candidates to an internship with a Big 4 accounting firm, which is probably more resembling of the job they would class as an 'American job' rather than picking fruit or landscape gardening. I haven't brought this up yet as I don't think it's worth getting into, as of course the implication of my getting a job not bothering them is their anger stems more from brown people than 'immigrants', but if I'm irritated by Trump getting close to an election win I might broach that discussion.

I think it's crackers when you see a quote like '50 million people in this country are handed out food stamps thanks to Obama' and you remember that a fair amount of that 50m will be Republican voters simply because they oppose abortion or dislike Mexicans, two things that will have little to no real impact on their lives.

The last quote is my fear with Hilary, a lot of people really don't like her. She gets a lot of flak for staying with Bill after the affair and of course the whole Benghazi email issue will keep coming up (Trump recently mentioned 'predicted' it would be him vs Hilary 'unless of course she gets indicted'). I've even heard people who voted for Obama say negative things about Hilary and then give a positive in Trumps favor like 'he wont bend over for lobbyists', it's probably the most interesting Presidential election in a long time but it's concerning.

I'm glad they finally attacked the fact he doesn't actually say anything when he speaks and they didn't just let him brush them off with one liners or insults like usual, the issue is it's probably too late, why did they not go after him like this weeks ago?

Cheers, appreciate that :up:

No problem. :up:

I'm glad they finally attacked the fact he doesn't actually say anything when he speaks and they didn't just let him brush them off with one liners or insults like usual, the issue is it's probably too late, why did they not go after him like this weeks ago?

I honestly think that they (Cruz and Rubio mainly) didn't take him seriously up until he had won two out of the first three primaries.

I honestly think that they (Cruz and Rubio mainly) didn't take him seriously up until he had won two out of the first three primaries.

Aye that's probably the reason, especially after his trainwreck of a start where he just insulted everyone, unfortunately that gave him support for 'not being a normal politician' rather than sending him out early.

Funnily enough you don't usually win elections by changing the minds of your opponents supporters, You win elections by motivating and organising your support and targeting the swing and undecided voters.

I didn't realise John Oliver was a candidate. You and Fish can have that one btw