US election 2016

Happy Face

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye she was very good in the film where she works at Guantanamo. Can't remember what it's called.

Camp X-Ray, apparently. I'll give it a go. :good:

John Oliver's bit on Trump the other day is brilliant.

Trumps speech last night was definately in a different tone to his usual stuff, looks like it's going to be out of him and Hilary which I think will be very close.

trump on clinton:

If Hillary cant satisfy her husband, how can she satisfy America?"

is there a group of voters that he hasn't offended?

A bit rich from a bloke who wants to fuck his own daughter like.

John Oliver's bit on Trump the other day is brilliant.

Trumps speech last night was definately in a different tone to his usual stuff, looks like it's going to be out of him and Hilary which I think will be very close.

i think trump has a pretty good chance. depends on how he plays it and whether he can appeal to moderate swing voters between now and november but he definitely has captured the anti-establishment/elite vote. everything that clinton stands for, basically.

i think trump has a pretty good chance. depends on how he plays it and whether he can appeal to moderate swing voters between now and november but he definitely has captured the anti-establishment/elite vote. everything that clinton stands for, basically.

Do you think many Sander's voters will switch to Trump? Seems unlikely to me.

Do you think many Sander's voters will switch to Trump? Seems unlikely to me.

no, but he may win over floating voters if he take a more moderate stance after securing the nomination, which i suspect he will. he'll have to. remarkably, he will be able to pitch himself as less in step with wall st than hillary.

no, but he may win over floating voters if he take a more moderate stance after securing the nomination, which i suspect he will. he'll have to. remarkably, he will be able to pitch himself as less in step with wall st than hillary.

How's he going to portray himself as a moderate after all the shit he's come out with, the latest being to refuse to disassociate himself from the KKK? I would have thought that any moderate american (or indeed anyone who isn't a lunatic) should be highly motivated to vote against him, including many republicans, particularly those of ethnic descent. Really, this should be a cakewalk for Clinton and utterly disaster for the GOP. Edited by Renton

How's he going to portray himself as a moderate after all the shit he's come out with, the latest being to refuse to disassociate himself from the KKK? I would have thought that any moderate american (or indeed anyone who isn't a lunatic) should be highly motivated to vote against him, including many republicans, particularly those of ethnic descent. Really, this should be a cakewalk for Clinton and utterly disaster for the GOP.

We all hope that is the case, the (hopefully completely wrong) fear is that he will win over moderate republicans with the bollocks he spouts.

I watched his speech in Florida and he simply doesn't sound like the other politicians and he makes sure to say a lot of things that make people cheer despite really saying fuck all, his new one was "I'm going to bring jobs, believe me so many jobs it'll make your head spin, I'm going to make apple bring manufacturing to America and create American jobs" putting aside the fact that an iPad would cost $8,000 if that was to happen it drew a ton of applause from the crowd, of course these were 'his people' in that room but there are a lot of moderate Republicans that see him as a successful businessman who would fix trade deficits etc.

Would the moderate Republicans choose Hillary Clinton over Trump? I'd love to think so but there is a fear that because of how deep party lines run that not many would vote for a democrat, to quote a woman that works with my wife "I would rather vote for a dog than Hillary Clinton" when asked if she would genuinely vote for Trump. Oh aye and I'm having a hard time stomaching seeing that complete fat sweaty embarrassment of a man that is Chris Christie stood behind Trump, a man with a 27% approval rating in the state he governs standing in Florida endorsing Donald fucking Trump rather than doing his fucking job (or at least giving the impression he does something) in New Jersey

The most frightening part of this whole thing is that Cruz is a complete fucking psycho who embodies a lot of that Evangelical Christian craziness many fear about Republicans so I don't like him as a viable alternative to Trump anyway.

I do agree that the logical hope is the moderates will steer clear but the fear I have is a combination of apathy (as NJS pointed out), votes from people that aren't too arsed about politics and see him as a "real genuine guy" and Republicans that will vote down party lines will give him a shot. Interestingly they were saying today on MSNBC that it's not all that certain he will get the nod because he has to reach 1,200 delegates which he will be hard pressed to do and none of the others will join with him.

Edited by Howay

How's he going to portray himself as a moderate after all the shit he's come out with, the latest being to refuse to disassociate himself from the KKK? I would have thought that any moderate american (or indeed anyone who isn't a lunatic) should be highly motivated to vote against him, including many republicans, particularly those of ethnic descent. Really, this should be a cakewalk for Clinton and utterly disaster for the GOP.

Did you not read that letter in the FT this week? It's not just lunatics who are voting for him. He's somehow appealing to blue and white collar voters.

Clinton's big advantage is in minority groups, most of whom Trump has offended.

here's the letter in the FT

Sir, My wife and I are affluent Americans with postgraduate degrees. We are socially liberal and fiscally mildly conservative. We are not the sans-culottes you see as the prototypical Trump voter. We are well aware of his vulgarity and nous deficiency yet we contemplate voting for him. Why?

Electing the standard-bearer of the Democratic Party seems purposeless. The neanderthal Republicans barely respected the legitimacy of Bill Clintons or Barack Obamas election, let alone that of Hillary who would arrive tainted with scandal and the email lapses hanging over her head. We would get four years of gridlock and hearings. The Republican tribunes, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, are backward, foolish and inexperienced. John Kasich, a moderate with extensive governmental experience and a willingness to compromise, is an also-ran. That leaves The Donald, really a moderate in wolfs garb, who would owe nothing to either party and might strike deals, for instance on tax reform.

Yes, we could be like the good citizens who voted for a tameable Hitler in 1933 to get things back on track. But the alternatives look worse.

Jon and Elsa Sands

Indianapolis, IN, US

here's the letter in the FT

Sir, My wife and I are affluent Americans with postgraduate degrees. We are socially liberal and fiscally mildly conservative. We are not the sans-culottes you see as the prototypical Trump voter. We are well aware of his vulgarity and nous deficiency yet we contemplate voting for him. Why?

Electing the standard-bearer of the Democratic Party seems purposeless. The neanderthal Republicans barely respected the legitimacy of Bill Clintons or Barack Obamas election, let alone that of Hillary who would arrive tainted with scandal and the email lapses hanging over her head. We would get four years of gridlock and hearings. The Republican tribunes, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, are backward, foolish and inexperienced. John Kasich, a moderate with extensive governmental experience and a willingness to compromise, is an also-ran. That leaves The Donald, really a moderate in wolfs garb, who would owe nothing to either party and might strike deals, for instance on tax reform.

Yes, we could be like the good citizens who voted for a tameable Hitler in 1933 to get things back on track. But the alternatives look worse.

Jon and Elsa Sands

Indianapolis, IN, US

Interesting points I guess. I certainly agree about Hillary being a waste of space, but I don't know if being a waste of space is worse than being Donald Trump...

• 2 weeks later...

Trump had a rally at an amphitheatre a half mile from my house... stayed in the confines of my home but watched it via stream. The man really doesn't say anything! Just tosses out catch phrases: "going to build a wall", "going to have the best negotiators" etc. etc. etc. Boggles the mind how many people are jumping on this bandwagon!

Trump had a rally at an amphitheatre a half mile from my house... stayed in the confines of my home but watched it via stream. The man really doesn't say anything! Just tosses out catch phrases: "going to build a wall", "going to have the best negotiators" etc. etc. etc. Boggles the mind how many people are jumping on this bandwagon!

Shit education and a deliberately provocative media?

"I have the best words" :lol: