*New Sven Revelations*

Optimistic Nut

The Football Association have been rocked by a series of revelations about England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson by a Sunday newspaper.

Eriksson reportedly told an undercover News of the World reporter - posing as a rich Arab - that he would quit as England coach if they win the World Cup this summer, and suggested he would be prepared to become manager of Aston Villa as part of a takeover bid.

An FA spokesman tonight said: "We want to reflect on the article in full before we make any formal comment."

Eriksson was contacted by the undercover News of the World reporter to see if he would be interested in coaching at a new football academy based in Dubai at some point in the future.

It is believed the Swede travelled to Dubai with the FA's approval.

The newspaper claims Eriksson, his agent Athole Still and lawyer Richard Des Voeux met the reporter, posing as an Arab, at an exclusive hotel in Dubai.

During the talks, Eriksson is alleged to have raised the idea of buying a club to the reporter.

He reportedly said "Aston Villa is for sale" before allegedly referring to the club's chairman Doug Ellis.

"The chairman is an old man today. He's sick."

He added: "Aston Villa will sell more shirts in one week than they did for the last 10 years."

Eriksson is also said to have suggested he could persuade England captain David Beckham to return to the Premiership from Real Madrid.

"I'll phone Beckham.

"Beckham and I, we have a relationship like that (he crossed his fingers). We are friends, but a lot of respect.

"He will come back tomorrow. And it's up to me to convince him that this is the right place to be."

The coach also made reference to England striker Michael Owen, who joined Newcastle in a £17million transfer from Madrid in August after a deal could not be struck with his former club Liverpool.

"I asked him if he was happy. He said 'not really with the club'."

Eriksson is under contract to England until 2008 but apparently suggested he could leave before then.

When the undercover reporter stated that he could not do 'two jobs', Eriksson responded: "No but everything is possible. But only at the end of the season."

When asked if he was genuinely interested or joking, he replied: "No I'm not joking."

He added: "After five-and-a-half years - it's a long time to be England manager.

"Anyway if I win the World Cup, I will leave, goodbye."

Eriksson also allegedly revealed details of his salary.

"I have two more years with the FA and there I have £3million net per year, plus bonuses.

"Now if I will leave the FA, I should like to have a contract of three years.

"I think (Chelsea manager Jose) Mourinho today.... is on five million net. I think he might be the highest paid today.

"That's the area you have to think about."

Eriksson's lawyer is said to have claimed there were "ways and means once Sven is happy of getting him out..."

The coach added: "If I just walk out and the next day I work for Aston Villa then they will ask for money."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does the News of The World undercover reporter always disguise themselves as a rich arab?

79282[/snapback]

"Hey, I am a rich Arab and have a bomb round my wrist. Please feel free to answer the following questions."

Why does the News of The World undercover reporter always disguise themselves as a rich arab?

79282[/snapback]

Because the guy who does it looks Middle Easter - tho he may be of Muslim Indian extraction I think

Anyway the days of some dodgy diamond geezer from the E End are long gone (after all they all moved into football management) - no one with any brains would deal with a "Russian" (they might be genuine) so it leaves the "rich arab" routine

Apparently they got through 2 bottles of £ 400 wine as well

79282[/snapback]

Because the guy who does it looks Middle Easter - tho he may be of Muslim Indian extraction I think

Anyway the days of some dodgy diamond geezer from the E End are long gone (after all they all moved into football management) - no one with any brains would deal with a "Russian" (they might be genuine) so it leaves the "rich arab" routine

Apparently they got through 2 bottles of £ 400 wine as well

Full bit on Owen:

Michael Owen was a good player but "the one who's coming in" is Wayne Rooney. But he thought Rooney would never be as good as Beckham.

Mr Eriksson said he had spoken to Michael Owen, who is playing for Newcastle and he had said he was not happy at the club. He said Owen was only there because of the money. Owen allegedly told him that "he had never earned that money in his life". They gave him a car, a house and they paid more than Real Madrid did. Mr Eriksson said the club had to pay him so much money because otherwise he would not have gone there.

Mr Still said Owen was disappointed with his agent before the European Championships 18 months ago because he had not been getting enough commercial work. Owen said everything had been going to David Beckham.

Full bit on Owen:

Michael Owen was a good player but "the one who's coming in" is Wayne Rooney. But he thought Rooney would never be as good as Beckham.

Mr Eriksson said he had spoken to Michael Owen, who is playing for Newcastle and he had said he was not happy at the club. He said Owen was only there because of the money. Owen allegedly told him that "he had never earned that money in his life". They gave him a car, a house and they paid more than Real Madrid did. Mr Eriksson said the club had to pay him so much money because otherwise he would not have gone there.

Mr Still said Owen was disappointed with his agent before the European Championships 18 months ago because he had not been getting enough commercial work. Owen said everything had been going to David Beckham.

79335[/snapback]

I really don't want to know how much we're paying him. Considering the outrageous amount of money involved, the fact that he's always out injured, not interested in playing for us and likely to leave as soon as possible, it has to be one of the club's worst financial moves.

Full bit on Owen:

79335[/snapback]

I've never really liked Sven that much, but I'm willing to back him in the hope of winning the World Cup this year. However, that bit is utter bollocks. Rooney is already better than Beckham.

Agree there like, and I'm one of the people that thinks Beckham should be in the team. Rooney can do things Beckham can't and he's more important to the team too.

Agree there like, and I'm one of the people that thinks Beckham should be in the team. Rooney can do things Beckham can't and he's more important to the team too.

79370[/snapback]

It's absolutely nothing against Beckham, I rate him. But Rooney scares the shit out of other teams. I doubt Beckham does.

79370[/snapback]

It's absolutely nothing against Beckham, I rate him. But Rooney scares the shit out of other teams. I doubt Beckham does.

79372[/snapback]

Plus, if Beckham got injured, you could arguably play Joe Cole, Gerrard or even SWP there (although the latter is very short of match practice) without the team suffering too much. No one can give us what Rooney can.

79370[/snapback]

79372[/snapback]

Plus, if Beckham got injured, you could arguably play Joe Cole, Gerrard or even SWP there (although the latter is very short of match practice) [/b]without the team suffering too much. No one can give us what Rooney can.

79374[/snapback]

:yes

79370[/snapback]

79372[/snapback]

Plus, if Beckham got injured, you could arguably play Joe Cole, Gerrard or even SWP there (although the latter is very short of match practice) without the team suffering too much. No one can give us what Rooney can.

79374[/snapback]

You're forgetting Shola though, or is he pencilled in for the left wing?

79370[/snapback]

79372[/snapback]

Plus, if Beckham got injured, you could arguably play Joe Cole, Gerrard or even SWP there (although the latter is very short of match practice) [/b]without the team suffering too much. No one can give us what Rooney can.

79374[/snapback]

B)

79375[/snapback]

:yes

Beckham should be in the squad, but I wouldn't be too fussed if the armband was given to Gerrard/Terry, and Gerrard got the right-wing slot. He seems more influencial there to me, and he drifts inside, but along with Finnan still gives Liverpool width.

Why do the gutter press alwats try and fuck up our preperations to big tourneys? they did the same with the Beckham\ Rebecca Loos shite before Euro 2004.

79438[/snapback]

In fairness, Beckham shit on his own doorstep on that occasion.

Looking from the outside, I think England have the best bunch of players you've ever had, being managed by a talentless fuckwit, who, ironically, is being kept in a job because those hugely talented players are grinding out results in spite of him.

With even a half decent manager in charge you'd be my bet for the World Cup.

Looking from the outside, I think England have the best bunch of players you've ever had, being managed by a talentless fuckwit, who, ironically, is being kept in a job because those hugely talented players are grinding out results in spite of him.

With even a half decent manager in charge you'd be my bet for the World Cup.

79462[/snapback]

;)