Anelka - I want to join the Toon

Scottish Mag

Fenerbahce star Nicolas Anelka has admitted he is desperate to return to The Premiership, and the electric striker says he has his heart set on a move to Newcastle.

The former Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City star has grown disillusioned with life in Turkey and has instructed his representatives to secure him a return to England - where he has enjoyed his most productive spells in the game.

Everton have made no secret of their desire to snare the French international, but Anelka insists he will not move to Goodison and is set on a switch to Graeme Souness' Magpies.

"I don't want to waste my time any more in the Turkish Championship," Anelka told the Daily Star.

"The only trouble is that they don't want to sell me for nothing. But my brothers are trying to find me a club in England.

"I have heard of Everton's interest, but I don't want to go there.

"I want to get back into the Premiership and I would like that club to be Newcastle United."

The Scot tried to sign Anelka before landing Albert Luque and Michael Owen in the summer, but a lengthy injury to the England star, as well as backup Shola Ameobi, has led Souness to reconsider his striking options and he could be tempted to resurrect his interest in the star who once moved to Real Madrid for £23 million as a 20-year-old.