Nothing to see here version 2.0

The Fish

While frustrating, this isn't an entirely ridiculous strategy. Especially since we've clearly seen he won't let players go cheaply.

Given cheaply, Enrique cheaply, Barton free. He'll cash out if he senses he could miss out on a return altogether and in the case of Barton will let personal issues cloud financial issues. On top of that will sign contracts with low buy out clauses (Ba).

What stands against this at the moment is the long term deals that new players were signed for. When they're nearing the end of their contracts I sense we'll see a change in his behaviour re: asking prices.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given cheaply, Enrique cheaply, Barton free. He'll cash out if he senses he could miss out on a return altogether and in the case of Barton will let personal issues cloud financial issues. On top of that will sign contracts with low buy out clauses (Ba).

What stands against this at the moment is the long term deals that new players were signed for. When they're nearing the end of their contracts I sense we'll see a change in his behaviour re: asking prices.

Well fair enough, but that only mirrors what you see at every other club. He wouldn't let Cabaye go for £10m over the summer and as a result we're benefiting from a strong season from him. If his policy is to buy low, raise the price through long contracts and good performances, and then sell at the right time then so be it.

You could argue that such an approach actually has the club's interest at it's core rather than his - he could sell earlier into the contract for a faster return if he was prepared to drop a few million from the asking price. If you're saying he'll take a lower price at the end of the contract, how is that different as far as he's concerned with taking lower prices mid way through the contract? Say Cabaye is worth £20m now, and Arsenal offered £10m in the summer. In a year's time, Cabaye will be entering into the final year of his contract, so his value will fall to what? £10m? Why wouldn't Ashley just take that now if all he cared about was the financials (and technically, £10m now is worth more than £10m in a years time)

There's only two possibilities in my mind:

1 - He's holding out in the hope of receiving bigger offer while the players are at peak value

2 - He actually sees the value of the players to the long term success of the club, and therefore while he could sell earlier, he's choosing not to unless we receive a really good offer that can assist the club in replacing the player.

I just think that on some level, it's not just about recouping the money through transfers, it's about recouping it through making the club sustainable.

In Ashley's estimation he believes he can hold out to get more for Cabaye as he still has more than 2 years to run on his contract (contracted until June 2016).

If a steady flow of low cost quality players can be maintained then yes it is financially a very good approach and should see about adequate performance and results inherently. This I believe is the height of Ashley's ambition for the club in terms of playing personnel and results.

A trustworthy chap from another (non-nufc) forum that I frequent told me that the Cabella transfer will be finalized in the next few days.

I know that these kind of posts can be greeted with an entire spectrum of responses, but I have no reason to doubt the guy. Make of it what you will.

I still not convinced that Joe Kinnear hasn't gotten him confused with the other Remy.

Anyway, it things like this that make us look like idiots:

News broke yesterday that Toon manager Alan Pardew will meet with Joe Kinnear and Mike Ashley later this week to discuss the club's transfer policy for the coming month.

Why are we leaving it until the middle of January to sort out our transfer targets?

A trustworthy chap from another (non-nufc) forum that I frequent told me that the Cabella transfer will be finalized in the next few days.

I know that these kind of posts can be greeted with an entire spectrum of responses, but I have no reason to doubt the guy. Make of it what you will.

This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...

Fair enough.

It doesn’t rule out the possibility that meetings have been going on for months, the targets are set, and the next meeting is to update and reassess.

Targets may have been made available that previously weren't? Or targets may have been taken off the table because of injuries/sales at their parent club?

I don't think this is indicative of the club leaving it to the last minute.

My fear I guess is that because we are fairly "safe" then our attitude to signings will reflect that.

:aye:

However I do think there'll be a few people who are going to be pleasantly surprised. I don't think our impressive league form is changing the targets that much, I just think the players that the club were targeting will be decent. I can't imagine that we won't sign anyone.

The tower, the tower! Rapunzel, Rapunzel!

Eh, no one ever gets my movie references and quotes so I thought I'd take the time to recognize yours. :thumbup:

:good:

Bon

JOE Kinnear says Newcastle United’s transfer policy has capped new arrivals – at “one or two” players a year.

The club is yet to bid for a player in this month’s transfer window, but one report suggested there could be as many as four arrivals at St James’s Park.

Emotional Jonas Gutierrez bids farewell to Newcastle on Twitter

However, Kinnear, United’s director of football, has moved to dampen expectations on Tyneside in his programme notes for this afternoon’s home game against Manchester City.

“Our preparation for the transfer windows is a year-round activity and at Newcastle United we plan our transfer activity based on a full calendar year as opposed to approaching each window in isolation,” wrote Kinnear.

“Now that we have strength and depth in most areas, as well as players within our ideal age range in most positions, our intention for the first team going forward is to sign one or two players per year to improve the squad.

“This will be done within strict financial parameters – the club will only spend what it can afford.”

With Newcastle manager Alan Pardew keen for a striker to arrive in the transfer window, have again been linked with Olympique Lyonnais forward Bafetimbi Gomis.

However, Gomis, available on a free transfer in the summer, will turn 29 before the start of next season.

And Kinnear has reiterated United’s policy of signing younger players with a re-sale value.

“We have made certain elements of our transfer policy well known,” he said.

“One example being the desire to recruit players whose futures are ahead of them, not behind, which in nearly all cases means players in their early to mid-20s, not beyond.”

Meanwhile, United have reportedly turned down a bid from an unnamed Qatari club for striker Papiss Demba Cisse.

JOE Kinnear says Newcastle United’s transfer policy has capped new arrivals – at “one or two” players a year.

The club is yet to bid for a player in this month’s transfer window, but one report suggested there could be as many as four arrivals at St James’s Park.

Emotional Jonas Gutierrez bids farewell to Newcastle on Twitter

However, Kinnear, United’s director of football, has moved to dampen expectations on Tyneside in his programme notes for this afternoon’s home game against Manchester City.

“Our preparation for the transfer windows is a year-round activity and at Newcastle United we plan our transfer activity based on a full calendar year as opposed to approaching each window in isolation,” wrote Kinnear.

“Now that we have strength and depth in most areas, as well as players within our ideal age range in most positions, our intention for the first team going forward is to sign one or two players per year to improve the squad.

“This will be done within strict financial parameters – the club will only spend what it can afford.”

With Newcastle manager Alan Pardew keen for a striker to arrive in the transfer window, have again been linked with Olympique Lyonnais forward Bafetimbi Gomis.

However, Gomis, available on a free transfer in the summer, will turn 29 before the start of next season.

And Kinnear has reiterated United’s policy of signing younger players with a re-sale value.

“We have made certain elements of our transfer policy well known,” he said.

“One example being the desire to recruit players whose futures are ahead of them, not behind, which in nearly all cases means players in their early to mid-20s, not beyond.”

Meanwhile, United have reportedly turned down a bid from an unnamed Qatari club for striker Papiss Demba Cisse.

I bet he wrote every word too. :lol:

Let's face it, the club has been turned in to a business rather than a sports club, it's not here for people to enjoy but just to make money - that's the be all and end all of it. No ambition within any competition, we simply 'exist'.

Let's face it, the club has been turned in to a business rather than a sports club, it's not here for people to enjoy but just to make money - that's the be all and end all of it. No ambition within any competition, we simply 'exist'.

Name a club from the top 4 divisions that isn't run as a business.

What's this about a bid on Cissé? Nonsense?

The bid from Qatar? Apparently turned down by us initially, though to be honest it could quite as easily been bollocks spread by JFK.