Souness - I want six players

Scottish Mag

Graeme Souness has warned that Newcastle's decision to spend nothing in the transfer window could leave his squad SIX players short. And that the club can all but forget about European qualification as a result.

Shorn of funds to relieve a nightmare injury crisis, Souness last night painted a grim picture of the rest of an already bleak season.

"I need another half a dozen players," said the United manager. "We need strengthening in all positions. But I have been told we have no money.

"We need a new striker. We have been killed through injury.

"We are short in all areas. We have problems . . ."

Souness added: "Finishing in the top six will be very hard unless we get a great deal of luck. When you look at the long-term injuries we have got, it will be a long, hard second half of the season.

"We will have to get our heads down and take what's coming our way. We have honest players and we will give everything - but on some days, that won't be good enough."

Newcastle's empty transfer kitty has cost Souness the signing of Turkish striker Nihat Kahveci and, almost certainly, Charlton midfielder Danny Murphy.

Instead, United are scouring Europe for free agents and youngsters, with French starlets Olivier N'Siabamfumu (Rennes) and Richard Soumah (Guingamp) catching his eye.

Meanwhile, Swiss left-back Jose Goncalves - of FC Thun - has also been linked with a move to Tyneside.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically what he's saying is he wants a bunch of players that are so good that the clueless arrogant dickhead can hide his poor lack of knowledge in how to manage a football club.

The truth is even if that were to happen it would still show. Sack him now Freddy! Bring in a manager who truly does know what he's doing. Remember that old fella you brought in to save us from nearly being relegated who then brought us back up to fourth place in the Premiership? Aye, someone like him!

Olivier N'Siabamfumu is off to PSV, so no idea why we're linked with him. He's not free anyway.

Richard Soumah might be likely though, but again, won't be free.

In Summer Souness spent £27m on 2 players where he could have bought 5. I'm not complaining about the signing of Owen, as the chance to sign England's best striker doesn't come around often; but you've got to think that strengthening the squad might have been a better idea?

I don't think Souness will go until Summer now, and it's extremely depressing.

In Summer Souness spent £27m on 2 players where he could have bought 5. I'm not complaining about the signing of Owen, as the chance to sign England's best striker doesn't come around often; but you've got to think that strengthening the squad might have been a better idea

79352[/snapback]

It's really nice to have Owen in the team (especially as he seperates us from a relegation place). But I remember how I got shot down when I questioned the sense of the transfer because of the huge fee and the problems that could arise...

In Summer Souness spent £27m on 2 players where he could have bought 5. I'm not complaining about the signing of Owen, as the chance to sign England's best striker doesn't come around often; but you've got to think that strengthening the squad might have been a better idea?

79352[/snapback]

I have been saying exactly that since the moment we bought them both though, was slaughtered in the pub for saying it...

79352[/snapback]

I have been saying exactly that since the moment we bought them both though, was slaughtered in the pub for saying it...

79360[/snapback]

I've been slaughtered in a pub many a time :yes

So he needs 6 players to have the squad he wants...heres an idea, the stupid wanker shouldn't have got rid of: Bellamy, Kluivert, Ambrose, Hughes, Robert etc. and he'd have the six players he needs!

Of course a manager with even the slightest intelligence and talent for his job would be able to do the job with what he has, but not our Graeme, every time things aren't going well he needs more players, more luck, more help from refs, more anything really! He's like the Oliver Twist of management

He's like the Oliver Twist of management

79369[/snapback]

I see him as being more of a Jay Gatsby-type figure and I'm sure Rob will back this up.

So he needs 6 players to have the squad he wants...heres an idea, the stupid wanker shouldn't have got rid of: Bellamy, Kluivert, Ambrose, Hughes, Robert etc. and he'd have the six players he needs!

........for approx 7m quid as well

Part of the reason Bellamy got pissed off is because he was played out of position to accomodate both Shearer and Kluivert. This makes me suspect even more that Souness had it in for Bellamy from the start as I can't see any point in accomodating one player (Fat Pat) that you have no long term plans for at the expense of another (Bellamy) who was arguably the best player at the club.

Part of the reason Bellamy got pissed off is because he was played out of position to accomodate both Shearer and Kluivert. This makes me suspect even more that Souness had it in for Bellamy from the start as I can't see any point in accomodating one player (Fat Pat) that you have no long term plans for at the expense of another (Bellamy) who was arguably the best player at the club.

79392[/snapback]

Thats where it all started, however much people blame Bellamy for his part.

Bellamy was by miles our best player that season at that point as all fans were saying, he was certainly the form striker and was scoring goals. Souness then shunted him wide to accomodate the two strikers he didn't have the balls to drop one of and then he subbed bellamy at Charlton to add to it all.

He obviously had it in for Bellamy and wanted to use Bellamy as his target to show he's a hard man and would sort out the club (which he hasn't).

79392[/snapback]

not being funny Alex.....but it's been pointed out enough to have twigged earlier !

79392[/snapback]

not being funny Alex.....but it's been pointed out enough to have twigged earlier !

79397[/snapback]

I've mentioned it on several occasions, a long time ago too so it's not like I've just 'twigged' mate. I feel the same way regarding Souness's attitude to Robert and while I was a far bigger fan of Bellamy, I was honest enough to say that neither player got the 'clean slate' others got.

79392[/snapback]

79397[/snapback]

I've mentioned it on several occasions, a long time ago too so it's not like I've just 'twigged' mate. I feel the same way regarding Souness's attitude to Robert and while I was a far bigger fan of Bellamy, I was honest enough to say that neither player got the 'clean slate' others got.

79399[/snapback]

Some of us have seen this, and relegation before, it's a very worrying situation we are in, the team needs a lift and a change of impetus....fast

The changes he has made since coming in, are now being seen to be the disaster

that looking at his CV, was all too obvious would happen

The day he assaulted his player on the trainig ground, having subbed him for non football related reasons, is the day he should have been kicked out, a few weeks in the job or not.

Unlike me though Leazes, I don't seem to remember you stating Souness had it in for Robert and Bellmay from the off. Have you just twigged onto this? B)

:yes

Unlike me though Leazes, I don't seem to remember you stating Souness had it in for Robert and Bellmay from the off. Have you just twigged onto this? B)

:yes

79405[/snapback]

<<<<< speechless >>>>>>>>>