Robben sent off?

peasepud

Stupid rule, along with people getting booked for taking their shirt off nowadays;)

They should focus on improving the rules and officials as they are, rather than add silly new ways to discipline players.

79505[/snapback]

Didn't they do away with that again?

79518[/snapback]

Cahill got done for it last season.

80131[/snapback]

Which was the catalyst for binning the stupid fucking rule...

After all is said and done, I do personally think it's pathetic to caution a player for doing what Robben did however we have seen examples of players jumping into the crowd before and the ref booking him for it so in retrospect given that Robben was on a yellow, he perhaps should have thought about it before he did it...

Yeah I know - hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that...

Stupid rule, along with people getting booked for taking their shirt off nowadays;)

They should focus on improving the rules and officials as they are, rather than add silly new ways to discipline players.

79505[/snapback]

79518[/snapback]

Cahill got done for it last season.

80131[/snapback]

Lita got done for it this season.

79505[/snapback]

79518[/snapback]

Not according to this, depends how much you trust the Beeb though...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/r...ent/4616854.stm

Not according to this, depends how much you trust the Beeb though...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/r...ent/4616854.stm

80167[/snapback]

Did they do something like introduce it at the start of last season, repeal it mid-season, and then reinstate it at the start of this season? It sounds too stupid for words, so that's probably it.

About the ronaldo booking again, i'd like to know something.

Isn't it necessary for contact to have been made for a booking?? I'd thought so, and pundits on espn were going on about how ronaldo's challenge should only have been a yellow since there was no real contact. Can a player actually be sent off for bad intent??

Watching the tackle live my first reaction was that it should be a red card.

And i hate ronaldo as much as anyone, the way he waves around his hands asking for other players to be booked is disgraceful.

If the Citeh player hadn't jumped he could have had his leg broken, and there would be no debate at all.

It is wrong to base a player's punishment on their victim's ability (or lack of) to get out of the way - Ronaldo was sent off for what HE did.

If the Citeh player hadn't jumped he could have had his leg broken, and there would be no debate at all.

It is wrong to base a player's punishment on their victim's ability (or lack of) to get out of the way - Ronaldo was sent off for what HE did.

80240[/snapback]

Absolutely spot on.

About the ronaldo booking again, i'd like to know something.

Isn't it necessary for contact to have been made for a booking?? I'd thought so, and pundits on espn were going on about how ronaldo's challenge should only have been a yellow since there was no real contact. Can a player actually be sent off for bad intent??

Watching the tackle live my first reaction was that it should be a red card.

And i hate ronaldo as much as anyone, the way he waves around his hands asking for other players to be booked is disgraceful.

80237[/snapback]

I'm a little bit confused by the espn commentators' position, either they don't watch much football, or they sleep in Man U pyjamas...

Yes, player's intent is a huge factor in a referee's decision, always has been as far as I know!

Edited by DotBum

A player can be done for intent.

Booked or Sent off if he:

Trips or attempts to trip

Punches or attempts to punch

Kicks or attempts to kick

depending on ferocity of challenge. Definately right to send off Ronaldo. The foot was very high and he came in with his other foot. That could have badly hurt Cole if the leg made contact.

Edited by jonnyhall