Politics

Christmas Tree

Unemployment was 2.49 million when Dave took office (May 2010)

He took it to 2.68 million (Nov 2011)

It's now 2.51 million. Up for his time in office.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117

Don't take a quarterly drop as a sign of good governance when it's just a correction to the big increases in previous quarters alongside an increase in seasonal workers brought in for the christmas build up.

Even going on your biassed figures, is it fair to say that as they predicted, the private sector is filling the vacancies created by the public sector cuts. Lots on here doubted that would happen and predicted millions more on the dole back in 2010.

Even going on your biassed figures, is it fair to say that as they predicted, the private sector is filling the vacancies created by the public sector cuts. Lots on here doubted that would happen and predicted millions more on the dole back in 2010.

Figures by their inherent nature can not be biased. The way they are portrayed can be but never the figures.

Are the figures biased because theyve made you look a silly sausage again CT? :)

Not at all, the figures do no such thing. My statement are 100% accurate as they are carried by every newspaper going today, even the Times. :)

HF however (as you know btw sitting there at your big new desk) has decided to ignore todays figures and produce different figures to throw a different light on the matter. I have them taken his figures and thrown them back at him again. He however is more determined than me and will wear me down with charts.

Time instead for me to do my chores, head for the fun park research fishies.

BTW, i only listened to PMQ's on the radio yesterday but it sounded like a real belter with both Cameron and Milliband producing good performances and put downs. Woth a look for those who like that sort of thing.

There are hundreds of thousands more claiming benefits now.

Think of Cameron as Pardew CT, just cos he managed a win against Wigan, it doesn't mean his season is looking to be a success, as pleasing as the 3 points are.

To be fair it IS good news. It's obviously not perfect news and doesn't mean the Conservatives are brilliant and are clearly doing an amazing job. I know CT's coming at it from a 'Tories are right all the time' standpoint but doing the exact opposite is hardly proving anyone wrong. Fency sitting ftw :D

Funny how CT bumps this thread whenever there is a blip that might put the coalition in a good light but ignores the long term trends. Has underemployment been analysed btw?

It feels very like the early 80s at present in this country. Incidentally that's a time period CT loved, isn't it?

Edited by Renton

Funny how CT bumps this thread whenever there is a blip that might put the coalition in a good light but ignores the long term trends. Has underemployment been analysed btw?

It feels very like the early 80s at present in this country. Incidentally that's a time period CT loved, isn't it?

Tories are a one trick pony.

The Tories are going to try to take us out of the European Union by the looks of it, possibly by getting in to bed with UKIP. Dont know enough technically about it to properly debate the ins and outs of it, just to say that its a massive call by them, possibly the biggest since the end of the war. Going into it was pretty much mereley a trade agreement. Europe now has the casting vote above us on legal matters, which is what appears to piss the likes of UKIP off. I think theyve a chance of getting it through a referendum, depending what question is asked and to what extent the proposed pull back is. Will the City all piss off elsewhere? they didnt when we refused to join the euro, infact they boomed artificially for a few years beyond that.

I heard the leader of UKIP on the radio after they came 2nd in 3 bi-elections recently and he basically said the Tories could kiss his arse if they wanted to form a coalition with them as they were still seething following Cameron's 'closet racists' comments. Not that he'd be the first political leader to go back on his word.

The Tories are going to try to take us out of the European Union by the looks of it, possibly by getting in to bed with UKIP. Dont know enough technically about it to properly debate the ins and outs of it, just to say that its a massive call by them, possibly the biggest since the end of the war. Going into it was pretty much mereley a trade agreement. Europe now has the casting vote above us on legal matters, which is what appears to piss the likes of UKIP off. I think theyve a chance of getting it through a referendum, depending what question is asked and to what extent the proposed pull back is. Will the City all piss off elsewhere? they didnt when we refused to join the euro, infact they boomed artificially for a few years beyond that.

Like you I dont know enough of the ins and outs and obviously I would have thought the likes of Chez and Parky would be more pro Europe.

However it seems to me that there is a growing split anyway with the majority wanting to head off in a different direction to us. We should probably be all in or all out as it seems there isnt a great deal of point as we go forward being the outcast getting dragged along but having no say.

Not sure Ive heard a really good argument for or against the trade in a post European environment, however Im sure we are a massive market for Europe so I would have thought restrictions against us would be self harming.

As for UKIP I dont think they have any politicians so a partnership seems unlikely. More likely that if the Government went anti europe then they would steal UKIPs only trick.

The only way I can see it happening is if its used as an election bribe.

I heard the leader of UKIP on the radio after they came 2nd in 3 bi-elections recently and he basically said the Tories could kiss his arse if they wanted to form a coalition with them as they were still seething following Cameron's 'closet racists' comments. Not that he'd be the first political leader to go back on his word.

Theres only two things you can't recover from in this country nowadays...being called either a racist or a paedophile. Cameron smeared UKIP badly with that one, but I dont buy Niggles protests either.

Just need to look at the haste in which the Lib Dems lifted their skirts for a good fucking from the tories. Got a funny feeling that it will be Labour needing someones support to form the next government anyway.

Theres only two things you can't recover from in this country nowadays...being called either a racist or a paedophile. Cameron smeared UKIP badly with that one, but I dont buy Niggles protests either.

Just need to look at the haste in which the Lib Dems lifted their skirts for a good fucking from the tories. Got a funny feeling that it will be Labour needing someones support to form the next government anyway.

He mentioned Labour being a possibility, what with them being the original Euro-Sceptic party back in the day. I don't think the Lib-Dems'll be much help to anyone as they'll have about 6 seats. UKIP could certainly be a nuisance to the Tories in particular, especially in they concentrate on key marginals.

the dilemma for the tories is withdrawing from europe will win votes, most people in this country are eurosceptic and don't fully understand the benefits of being in the EU - this has only been exacerbated by the eurozone crisis, which again, most voters don't really understand.

but a lot of the businesses that fund the tory party will be up in arms if we pull out. quite a big call for cameron to make. i'm not confident a referendum would get us the right result - ie staying in the EU.

but a lot of the businesses that fund the tory party will be up in arms if we pull out. quite a big call for cameron to make. i'm not confident a referendum would get us the right result - ie staying in the EU.

I'm not so sure. The UK will never withdraw completely, they'll still remain within the EEA. From business' point of view, if they still have access to the European market with lower levels of regulation and employee rights then it could be a bonus for them.

• 2 weeks later...