Politics

Christmas Tree

Just out of interest, have you ever voted or considered voting for UKIP?

A lot of older Tories I know (of) are turning that way, it seems, including people who really ought to know better. Should be a concern for all of us, but especially for the party they're deserting.

A lot of older Tories I know (of) are turning that way, it seems, including people who really ought to know better. Should be a concern for all of us, but especially for the party they're deserting.

It will be interesting to see how they perform at the next election. Seems like they're going to pinch 2nd place of the tories. More pressure on Cameron, surely at some point the coalition is going to blow especially with the smear on the Lib Dems this week

And there we go. Lib Dem hold, UKIP 2nd, Tories 3rd, Labour 4th. Pretty lousy night for all the major parties in many respects, but least bad for the Lib Dems, I guess! Tories could have done much better if they hadn't selected such a useless candidate though.

By elections are very rarely about national politics.

Seriously? You think that UKIP came second because of all the good work they've done in the Eastleigh area?

By elections are very much won and lost based on the national situation.

Seriously? You think that UKIP came second because of all the good work they've done in the Eastleigh area?

By elections are very much won and lost based on the national situation.

I disagree, this by election was mainly about the serious immigrant problems in Eastliegh which is why UKIP did so well.

I disagree, this by election was mainly about the serious immigrant problems in Eastliegh which is why UKIP did so well.

Would you like to fill us in on the isuues here CT?....seeing as half my office voted yesterday I'd be very interested to learn the inside track on this :)

You are so deluded CT it's untrue. Immigration alone doesn't explain this swing and anyway it will be repeated across the country, decimating the tory vote (this goes for the lib dem vote too). Yet I'm willing to bet that next general election, you'll be full of hope, jigging around with a gleeful expression on your face, singing 'the boys are back in town' to yourself whilst swigging your bottle of Asda Merlot, right until the small hours when the penny finally drops. Then you'll be back to claiming you're the least biased poster on here regarding politics.

I can't wait. :D

You are so deluded CT it's untrue. Immigration alone doesn't explain this swing and anyway it will be repeated across the country, decimating the tory vote (this goes for the lib dem vote too). Yet I'm willing to bet that next general election, you'll be full of hope, jigging around with a gleeful expression on your face, singing 'the boys are back in town' to yourself whilst swigging your bottle of Asda Merlot, right until the small hours when the penny finally drops. Then you'll be back to claiming you're the least biased poster on here regarding politics.

I can't wait. :D

So explain the swing to UKIP shit for brains ;)

There's barely a constituency in the UK less affected by immigration. :lol: But as usual, it's far easier to stoke such concerns in a predominantly white area than in a place that actually knows what brown and/or swarthy people look like.

Still, it undoubtedly helped that the UKIP candidate was basically a strident Tory woman and the Tory candidate was a hopeless reactionary who'd usually turn up in the colours of a more extremist brigade. Not sure what went wrong in the selection process there, but swap one for another and the result would have been a lot closer.

So explain the swing to UKIP shit for brains ;)

Sweet Jesus, you've heard of a protest vote haven't you? Or an 'I'm sick of the fucking lot of them vote'.

Edited by ewerk

So many mis informed on here. I forget at times.

If it was about national politics do you think Labour, half way through a so called "hated government", would be fourth?

At least their supporters understand the reality writing this today.....

Two immediate lessons emerge from this result.

First, Labour fought the wrong campaign. Last week John O’Farrell said, “I’m surprised how much of the literature from the Conservatives and Liberals has been about local authority issues…I’m not standing for the council. I’m standing for Westminster.”

Unfortunately, the voter is never wrong, and it was obvious from the first week of the campaign that Eastleigh’s electors were focused on local issues. Nothing Labour did could shift this.

Best you don't vote Ewerk if you don't understand ;)

CT dodging the question again...tell me why my colleagues were likely to vote for UKIP CT, am all ears :)

I've already told you, it's all local stuff. Even the local gravel pit has played a role.

Please don't tell me you think it has much to do with national politics.

One episode of Question Time and suddenly he's an expert on Eastleigh.

CT, of course candidates will fight on local issues but in a by election the biggest effect on the change in vote will likely be national issues. No one expected a massive swing to Labour because that's simply not how it works, combined with an ineffectual Labour leadership.

To say that by elections have nothing to do with national politics is completely ridiculous and shows you up for what you are.

I've already told you, it's all local stuff. Even the local gravel pit has played a role.

Please don't tell me you think it has much to do with national politics.

Am not saying that, but Ewerk hits it in the head for me.

Am intrigued how you could know how the ethnic make up of an area 350 miles from Boldon and how it could swing a vote. Post 3307 is a piss poor copy and paste job, which you had to do as you're fuckin winging it to suit your agenda,on a subject/area you know next to nothing about...as usual...

So many mis informed on here. I forget at times.

If it was about national politics do you think Labour, half way through a so called "hated government", would be fourth?

At least their supporters understand the reality writing this today.....

Two immediate lessons emerge from this result.

First, Labour fought the wrong campaign. Last week John O’Farrell said, “I’m surprised how much of the literature from the Conservatives and Liberals has been about local authority issues…I’m not standing for the council. I’m standing for Westminster.”

Unfortunately, the voter is never wrong, and it was obvious from the first week of the campaign that Eastleigh’s electors were focused on local issues. Nothing Labour did could shift this.

Best you don't vote Ewerk if you don't understand ;)

Labour held their vote; they never had a hope in hell of appealing to people in Eastleigh. The conservatives were simply massacred. And yet you somehow think this was a bad night for Labour? :lol:

What does the 'best PM of your lifeTM' do now though? He's already shifted to the right on Europe amongst other things, and it's done bugger all. Does he go further right to match UKIP and risk alienated more centre voters? This is a problem Labour don't have to the same degree, and they will pick up a hell of a lot of Lib Dem votes to boot. I thought we'd get another hung election, but the way things are going its Labour's to lose (which is well possible of course).