Politics

Christmas Tree

I have openly said I dont know any, which could be why i cant comprehend people skilled people seeking any form of employment for 3+ years and being unable to find work.

People are quite cagey about this topic, probably because they either are or know someone who falls into this category. I would probably feel the same if i did.

The age old question is though, are these people willing to do any job or are some jobs beneath them, even in the short term?

A quick look on job centre plus tells me theres 34 food service assistant positions (ie fast food vendors) within 10 miles of me. The sad thing is most them jobs will still be there in 2 weeks time aswell, cos people arent willing to take them.

How do you define 'skilled' then? And when you agree to a skilled definition does that mean everyone else not in that skilled category MUST work in somewhere like Mcdonalds? Why can't people try to choose their own job? Why aren't these cunts looking for a better return for the country and targeting the tax frauds? There's more money in it. The Daily Mail attitude, (for want of a better word), sickens me.

I can only speak from personal experience, My brother was a contact centre manager. on 60k salary, the firm went bust. He got a job at orange on 16k on the phones a month later , it wasnt beneath him. Should it have been? He had dreams that until the week before were realised, but he also had bills to pay. As it happens 18 months later hes earning more money now that he was there after successive promotions.

People can and do choose their own job, they dont have to take any job. But, they then should'nt whinge about not having the job they think they should have.

Dont feel sorry for graduates. I graduated last June, got a full time job the week later doing data processing for 15k, last September i got a job as a computer programmer(after graduating with an IT degree).

But you're measuring everyone else against yourself, and your success at gaining employment. Not everyone has that opportunity, even graduates. Not everyone has the same highly sought after degree as IT, which will always be a practical degree to have. You never got to the point a year later where you were getting rejection letters for cleaning jobs at city centre premier inns after gaining a first class honours degree did you?

To say 'Don't feel sorry for graduates' is absurd. Like sympathy is a bad thing :lol: Sometimes I think for a lot of British people, their perceived happiness is dependent on the misfortunes of others. Their success is defined and quantifiable only in the contrast to others' misfortunes.

Whatever man, I don't think you are being rude, just a bit ignorant of other people's situations. That you do not have any unemployed friends after graduating last year is quite incredible like.

Edited by ADP

But you're measuring everyone else against yourself, and your success at gaining employment. Not everyone has that opportunity, even graduates. Not everyone has the same highly sought after degree as IT, which will always be a practical degree to have. You never got to the point a year later where you were getting rejection letters for cleaning jobs at city centre premier inns after gaining a first class honours degree did you?

To say 'Don't feel sorry for graduates' is absurd. Like sympathy is a bad thing :lol: Sometimes I think for a lot of British people, their perceived happiness is dependent on the misfortunes of others. Their success is defined and quantifiable only in the contrast to others' misfortunes.

Whatever man, I don't think you are being rude, just a bit ignorant of other people's situations. That you do not have any unemployed friends after graduating last year is quite incredible like.

The whole argument was i find it hard to believe people willing to work can go 3 years without getting a job when trying every day.

I realise im lucky, but in all honesty if you have credentials and your not getting a job in 3 years your really doing something wrong or shooting way above your level.

Im not here tryint to argue, I understand other peoples situations might be totally different. What I am saying though is that @@Renton's view that it was a bad policy was his opinion only and not everyone would agree with it.

I find what your saying difficult to comprehend. Not knowing anyone on jsa,i find i difficult to comprehend that there really is skilled, willing workers unable to find employment.

An example is, my mother took voluntary redundancy last year. She hasn't sought enjoyment since.

:lol: just literally nearly choked laughing.

Skilled to me is qualified, Could be cooking, could be a joiner, a plumber, a network engineer. But a skill that you posess.

@@Renton you didnt say where you are from

The posher neck of the woods from you - tynemouth. I'm fortunate and well off, as are many of my friends. I know loads less fortunate though, and they'd take any job. I was in the same boat myself once and that was during the boom years. This stigmatisation of the unemployed sickens me.

I'm interested why you think you're bound to get a job eventually if you keep trying when the reverse is often true. Why would an employer choose a graduate who's been on the shelf for a year over a new graduate, just as an example. It's very easy to fall into a downward spiral, this 'scheme' won't change that (according to virtually all employment experts anyway).

I tried to be reasonable with you yesterday. You didnt reply. A fair point about the origins of benefit culture was obviously too close to the bone for you to acknowledge. Or you're fuckin clueless on the subject. I'll be generous and say its the former.

The welfare culture is a result of all governments misguided policies over the last 30 years CT. I can guarantee that if you chose to look into it the first time benefits came into line with average earnings for the lower paid was under the tories in the nid nineties, and that coincided with the first "single mothers holding the country to ransome blah blah blah " headlines in the Daily Mail.

This is a headlne grabbing policy for the conference week thats ludicrously unworkable. Tesco's arten't going to want to employ some herbert with a 10 year heroin habit 2 months out of rehab, or his dealer. Fuckin ridiculous.

I was just avoiding getting involved as other people were debating the points I would have, however if I wade in in quickly turns into the sort of bike spouted earlier today.

A lot of our problems are from blue or red, but that shouldn't discount us discussing how much welfare increased under Labour.

Naturally times are hard following the crash and people rightly want to live in a system that treads the correct balance between a safety net welfare system and a system that provides a work free life.

Of course it's party season so all the party faithful buttons are pressed by all parties.

And have we agreed that Mental Health patients wernt actually mentioned in Osbornes speech?

I was quoting front page of the Metro from yesterday. If its fabricated and there's no mention of it in his speech or associated policies, I apologise.

From personal experience though, the welfare of the mentally ill under this government has been awful.

Edit:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/30/go-wombling-to-pick-up-dole-jobless-put-on-litter-duty-to-get-handouts-4127884/

Edited by Renton

haha fair enough. Im glad we've all agreed to disagree.

btw CT Graham Souness has been on JSA since 2006. He falls into the tries hard for a job category but just was'nt having any luck. It does happen! :blind:

A lot of our problems are from blue or red, but that shouldn't discount us discussing how much welfare increased under Labour.

Labour weren't innocent about shifting people onto Inavalidity but like most things it was started by the bitch.

Do you remember the approximately 20 ways she changed how "unemployment" was counted to keep it at a "meagre" 3.5 million? - how much did that much cost?

There's also the point that tax credits (a major cost) were needed because employers simply won't pay proper wages.

And of course the real "increase" in the "benefit" total is down to pensions which take the majority of the money - what a shame more people live longer eh? - never mind private healthcare will fix that.

Alaister Campbell fuckin annihilating the deputy editor of the daily mail on Newsnight, he's a monstrous fuckin bully but its funny as fuck :lol:

The editor Paul Dacre is getting both barrels as well for not stumping up to defend the Ralph Milliband story. Villifying a dead man is about as low as you get in print journalism. Campbell said the mail is "the worst of British values presenting itself as the best of British values". Fuckin spot on. Whats fair and open minded about basing one thousand words of shit around one quote taken from a 17 year olds diary 6 months after fleeing the Nazi's?.

Wish I'd seen it. How that paper has the audacity to print this shit considering the headlines of that same paper from that period is nothing short of astounding. Nothing depresses me more about this country than the Mail/Express and its readership.