Politics

Christmas Tree

Made a mention of Boris' Zero hour contract "joke" earlier in facebook and someone has replied saying that people are fed up hearing about politics now and its time of "move on positively" with what we've got.

Utterly baffling attitude from an NHS employee no less.

Fucking hell.

I have to say Cameron's new cabinet has impressed me a little bit. Its clear you need to do time in Osborne's office if you want to get anywhere in the party but the people he has promoted are at least diverse background etc. A Tory unionist, a few birds and some ethnics. All very right-on until you actually read about their points of view.

Best prime minister...........

Aye, can't whack a cabinet with a homophobic equality minister and a culture minister who wants to bring back hanging and the workhouses. Very progressive choices from our resident, chinless, lizard prick of a prime minister.

Aye, can't whack a cabinet with a homophobic equality minister and a culture minister who wants to bring back hanging and the workhouses. Very progressive choices from our resident, chinless, lizard prick of a prime minister.

You forgot to mention the bit about wanting to clip the BBC's wings. On the upside, at least we know that Cameron won't tolerate people rewriting their Wikipedia profiles. This is a government of high standards and even higher ideals.

OK, so the BBC has no experts - it's official.

Here's their list of the 5 big things that weren't discussed in the election campaign, but that will need answers now....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32693640

In case you don't want to read, it's Heathrow, HS2, nuclear power, climate change and foreign intervention.

Yet again, they've completely ignored the issues of boundary changes & Trident.

On the subject of UKIP, I was reading not long ago about the party in Finland that's been making great gains - it's all the same rhetoric and warped logic, banging on about immigrants and Europe in exactly the same way, blaming all the countries ills on them. The difference between Finland and here however, was that their stupid PR system meant that in the wake of the financial crisis they managed to get into power by going into coalition with the larger centre-right party. It was every bit a nonsensical protest vote as it was here. And unsurprisingly, once they failed to deliver on their promises because their policies made no logical or rational sense, they were voted out. I for one am thankful our system means we're not at risk of having to make the same mistakes, and we can just keep them out unless or until they can convince enough people they're worth a punt, or the two main parties between them can't come up with a simple majority.

Edited by Mako

For all the non-Irish speakers, it's a parody of an IRA slogan, "Our Day Will Come", apparently. Which I guess explains the balaclavas. It must be weird living in Ireland if you don't speak Irish. Actually, scratch that, it must be weird living in Ireland, period.

On the subject of UKIP, I was reading not long ago about the party in Finland that's been making great gains - it's all the same rhetoric and warped logic, banging on about immigrants and Europe in exactly the same way, blaming all the countries ills on them. The difference between Finland and here however, was that their stupid PR system meant that in the wake of the financial crisis they managed to get into power by going into coalition with the larger centre-right party. It was every bit a nonsensical protest vote as it was here. And unsurprisingly, once they failed to deliver on their promises because their policies made no logical or rational sense, they were voted out. I for one am thankful our system means we're not at risk of having to make the same mistakes, and we can just keep them out unless or until they can convince enough people they're worth a punt, or the two main parties between them can't come up with a simple majority.

That's worked in our favour this time but could very easily fail to do so in future. I think PR is a truer statement of democratic intention, and while I consider the whole thing to be a bit of a sham, I feel that if we're going to claim to be democrats, we should have the balls to accept what that means.

PR isn't democracy, it's just an illusion of fairness which leads to illogical and unsustainable outcomes. If we had PR, right now, the country would be governed by a Tory/UKIP coalition, with half its MPs wanting out of Europe, and half wanting to stay in. Worse, we'd have an EU referendum where the prime minister wanted us to say no/in, and the deputy prime minister wanted us to say yes/out. Meanwhile, on the opposition benches, you'd have almost unanimous support for the idea that we should stay in, or at the very least, not be wasting our time with a referendum at this point in the recovery.

It's hard to come up with any argument that this outcome represented the democratic will of the people in 2015 any more than a narrow Tory majority govt does. Even worse outcomes have been seen across Europe, where extremists and narrow interest parties rule the roost in times when there is real indecision in the electorate, as there always is in times of recession or mass migration. The real truth about multi-party democracy is that that majority always loses. The only alternative to that is a one party state.

If I had my way, coalition government would be banned as inherently undemocratic. I personally never bought the argument that 'nobody won' was the legitimate will of the people in expressed in 2010.

If we must have fixed term parliaments, then it should be part of that law that the party with the most votes must either form a minority government, and therefore only pass laws that they can get cross party support for, or there should be a return to the previous government for a period of a year before another election is held, and if necessary, repeat that cycle until the next majority government emerges to serve another 5 years.

Not only would that be more democratic, as the party in power would always have a clearly expressed mandate (their manifesto), it would also on a practical level force parties to differentiate themselves, lest they become bankrupt after having to fight too many campaigns.

PR isn't democracy, it's just an illusion of fairness which leads to illogical and unsustainable outcomes. If we had PR, right now, the country would be governed by a Tory/UKIP coalition, with half its MPs wanting out of Europe, and half wanting to stay in. Worse, we'd have an EU referendum where the prime minister wanted us to say no/in, and the deputy prime minister wanted us to say yes/out. Meanwhile, on the opposition benches, you'd have almost unanimous support for the idea that we should stay in, or at the very least, not be wasting our time with a referendum at this point in the recovery.

It's hard to come up with any argument that this outcome represented the democratic will of the people in 2015 any more than a narrow Tory majority govt does. Even worse outcomes have been seen across Europe, where extremists and narrow interest parties rule the roost in times when there is real indecision in the electorate, as there always is in times of recession or mass migration. The real truth about multi-party democracy is that that majority always loses. The only alternative to that is a one party state.

I would accept a one party state. At least then we could all stop pretending that any of this is democratic.