Politics

Christmas Tree

I sincerely hope you're joking. Saying that at the best of times is a bit daft, but just after the VE day anniversary, is quite mad.

Anyway, democracy is a nebulous concept, it means many things to many people. It's always worth bearing in mind that the Greeks, who supposedly invented this democracy lark, had a quite different idea of how it should operate - their system was literally the ad hoc random selection of enough people in order to make a collective decision by majority vote, whenever it was something they didn't trust an official to decide on the citizenry's behalf. No parties, no MPs, no elections, no campaigns, none of that shite. It was more like jury service than anything else we have today that's called democracy.

Edited by Mako

I would accept a one party state. At least then we could all stop pretending that any of this is democratic.

It's what we have. We are ruled by an Establishment. Politics is window dressing. At least in China they are honest about it.

Are you two outing yourselves as one of the 1,229 people in the whole country who voted Communist by any chance?

Gay IRA communists tbs

Bank of England has revised down its productivity forecast because it sees disproportionate number of new jobs as low skilled and low output. The Tory-style recovery just keeps on truckin

Think the country badly needs electoral reform (and I thought that before the election). Can't see the Tories (or Labour) going for it as it would be Turkeys voting for Xmas. The FPTP system is so unfair and undemocratic. Apart from UKIP, the Greens (and even the Lib Dems) having so little to show for all their votes, it's ridiculous that the election is decided by such a small amount of people (in relative terms) in another relatively small amount of constituencies. Absolutely no appetite for it in the press either. Not that sure the electorate are ever going to get excited enough about the prospect of PR for it to happen any time soon either. I don't class AV as PR really. The Lib Dems really did sell themselves short there.

Think the country badly needs electoral reform (and I thought that before the election). Can't see the Tories (or Labour) going for it as it would be Turkeys voting for Xmas. The FPTP system is so unfair and undemocratic. Apart from UKIP, the Greens (and even the Lib Dems) having so little to show for all their votes, it's ridiculous that the election is decided by such a small amount of people (in relative terms) in another relatively small amount of constituencies. Absolutely no appetite for it in the press either. Not that sure the electorate are ever going to get excited enough about the prospect of PR for it to happen any time soon either. I don't class AV as PR really. The Lib Dems really did sell themselves short there.

We need a sexy face of Electoral Reform. I suggest Cat Deeley.

Electoral reform will happen as soon as someone proves it doesn't give disproportionate influence to extremists like UKIP, or proves it is better at identifying the will of the majority than the existing system. So basically, it will never happen.

Prove it then. Let's see your working for how PR supposedly comes up with a better expression of what the majority wanted in this election, or the 2010 one for that matter.

As far as I can tell, PR would have either forced the Conservatives into coalition with UKIP, or would have resulted in a left wing coalition of parties forming a government representing the views of 46.8% of voters (Lab-Lib-SNP-Grn), with Con/UKIP's share of 49.5% being in opposition. I can't think of any definition of the concept of majority will that makes either of those outcomes sustainable as either fair or democratic. The same issues exist for the 2010 election.