Politics

Christmas Tree

You asked me a question, I answered, you asked another one.

Classic Alex ;)

The second question I asked was a request to give details re: the answer you gave initially which was a bold statement with no specifics. I asked for some details and you gave none. If you're going to make a claim it's perfectly reasonable to be asked to back it up. Anyone reading back can see that's the exact chain of events, Balatty.

The second question I asked was a request to give details re: the answer you gave initially which was a bold statement with no specifics. I asked for some details and you gave none. If you're going to make a claim it's perfectly reasonable to be asked to back it up. Anyone reading back can see that's the exact chain of events, Balatty.

I didn't make a claim, I stated a fact :lol:

Had I linked you any of the many news stories on the subject you would have just asked another question :lol:

I never mind a bit of debate, but that's not what your after.

I can't see your question?

I didn't pose one in this thread.

I was showing that you didn't answer Alex's question.

I didn't make a claim, I stated a fact :lol:

Had I linked you any of the many news stories on the subject you would have just asked another question :lol:

I never mind a bit of debate, but that's not what your after.

Think people will draw their own conclusions to be honest. I very much doubt you even begin to convince yourself that's the case. My take on it was that Cameron made a few speeches a while back on this very subject once it became clear the EU commission were getting involved with this issues (Amazon, Starbucks et al and their tax avoidance techniques). He did this safe in the knowledge that, if action was taken, he could take the credit, whereas if not, he could blame the EU and use it to further his agenda re: EU reform. I don't have an issue with that as such (and I agree with him that the EU does need reforming). I just take issue with your claim he was instrumental in bringing this about.

Think people will draw their own conclusions to be honest. I very much doubt you even begin to convince yourself that's the case. My take on it was that Cameron made a few speeches a while back on this very subject once it became clear the EU commission were getting involved with this issues (Amazon, Starbucks et al and their tax avoidance techniques). He did this safe in the knowledge that, if action was taken, he could take the credit, whereas if not, he could blame the EU and use it to further his agenda re: EU reform. I don't have an issue with that as such (and I agree with him that the EU does need reforming). I just take issue with your claim he was instrumental in bringing this about.

First of all, you should stop worrying about "people". :lol: Your a grown man and it's a politics thread on a football forum.

More importantly I'll save you googling and give you this from the BBC from 2013.

"The taxation issue is on the agenda of the latest EU summit at the request of the UK, France and Germany.

Mr Cameron wrote to EU leaders ahead of the meeting urging a US-style cross-border tax information exchange.

The UK, Germany, France, Spain and Italy are currently testing such a system and want to launch it by the end of the year.

Mr Cameron also wants G8 and EU meetings to include country-by-country reporting of where companies pay their tax.

So not only had we requested it be put on the agenda of the summit, we also had a pilot scheme in operation.

Add this to the stuff from the FT and I think it's very clear that the last government and this one are doing quite a lot on tax avoidance.

Your welcome btw :)

(I feel another question coming on) :lol:

First of all, you should stop worrying about "people". :lol: Your a grown man and it's a politics thread on a football forum.

More importantly I'll save you googling and give you this from the BBC from 2013.

"The taxation issue is on the agenda of the latest EU summit at the request of the UK, France and Germany.

Mr Cameron wrote to EU leaders ahead of the meeting urging a US-style cross-border tax information exchange.

The UK, Germany, France, Spain and Italy are currently testing such a system and want to launch it by the end of the year.

Mr Cameron also wants G8 and EU meetings to include country-by-country reporting of where companies pay their tax.

So not only had we requested it be put on the agenda of the summit, we also had a pilot scheme in operation.

Add this to the stuff from the FT and I think it's very clear that the last government and this one are doing quite a lot on tax avoidance.

Your welcome btw :)

(I feel another question coming on) :lol:

Doesn't really differ too much from my take on it. I welcome it, for what it's worth. It was something taken up by the major European players ahead of the summit then. He couldn't have done it without agreement from them. If he was as crucial to it as you suggest, then those countries wouldn't have already been piloting it, would they? More a case of going with what was already agreed in those countries. Your (sic) overestimating his role imo. Did he spearhead it? No, in my view. Was he on board with a pan-European agenda? Yes. I think the US were making similar overtures.

Sad to hear this. Seemed like a decent man who was in politics for the right reasons but had his demons that it seems he couldn't overcome. RIP :(

Just reading that his father died during the election campaign and that he was heartbroken to have lost his seat in said election. I really hope these added stresses didn't lead to him feeling like he needed a way out. He also leaves a 10 year old son :(