Politics

Christmas Tree

:good:

Can't be arsed with Tubs' crack most of the time, however, see below ;)

I've often wondered how someone of our generation and upbringing could be a Tory, and I've been about pondering Jar Jar the Cabby in particular this afternoon.

How could he grow up under Thatcher, in the North East, and think she and her various Cabinets were anything other than grade A cunts?

Quality MF and probably not too far off the mark. I was born early 80s, my dad and 3 uncles all worked together as welders, often on the same shifts, in the same factory all through the 80s. The place was basically living on borrowed time as a direct result of Thatcher, and everyone of them knew it was only a matter of time before they got laid off (eventually happened in 88/89).  All four of them had married into the family (my mam had 3 sisters) and had very similar backgrounds. The only one of them, and quite possibly the only fucker in the whole place, who voted Tory was the oddball, the one that the other 3 would constantly rip the piss out of cos he was clueless at the job, had shocking patter, had ridiculous opinions about the football etc etc. He fucking loved Thatcher even though it was staring him in the face that she was the reason all of their livelihoods were constantly in jeopardy thanks to what her government was doing. There's definitely something about the Tory ethos that appeals to oddballs and misfits who should really revile them given their own circumstances and/or those of their peers. UKIP probably have a similar appeal.   

Quality MF and probably not too far off the mark. I was born early 80s, my dad and 3 uncles all worked together as welders, often on the same shifts, in the same factory all through the 80s. The place was basically living on borrowed time as a direct result of Thatcher, and everyone of them knew it was only a matter of time before they got laid off (eventually happened in 88/89).  All four of them had married into the family (my mam had 3 sisters) and had very similar backgrounds. The only one of them, and quite possibly the only fucker in the whole place, who voted Tory was the oddball, the one that the other 3 would constantly rip the piss out of cos he was clueless at the job, had shocking patter, had ridiculous opinions about the football etc etc. He fucking loved Thatcher even though it was staring him in the face that she was the reason all of their livelihoods were constantly in jeopardy thanks to what her government was doing. There's definitely something about the Tory ethos that appeals to oddballs and misfits who should really revile them given their own circumstances and/or those of their peers. UKIP probably have a similar appeal.   

sounds familiar :CT:

True, but I think both the left and right make a big deal about other people being the problem. For the left it's the 'rich', for the Tories its the 'immigrants'. As a culture, we look to blame everyone else as we struggle to accept our own individual responsibility for our lives.

becoming more right wing in your old age is an inevitability,. i've seen it happen to my mam, my grandparents and now my brother. i'm resisting it as much as i can but can already feel it taking hold.

We can feel it taking hold of you too, CT junior.

True, but I think both the left and right make a big deal about other people being the problem. For the left it's the 'rich', for the Tories its the 'immigrants'. As a culture, we look to blame everyone else as we struggle to accept our own individual responsibility for our lives.

Same everywhere I've lived at least.  They're just preying on our weaknesses.  Tribalism is probably in our DNA.

@@Dickie That's mad they married the 4 sisters, did they draw straws? ;)

Same everywhere I've lived at least.  They're just preying on our weaknesses.  Tribalism is probably in our DNA.

@@Dickie That's mad they married the 4 sisters, did they draw straws? ;)

:lol: He'll be sending her round to punch you if you're not careful.

:good:

Can't be arsed with Tubs' crack most of the time, however, see below ;)

I've often wondered how someone of our generation and upbringing could be a Tory, and I've been about pondering Jar Jar the Cabby in particular this afternoon.

How could he grow up under Thatcher, in the North East, and think she and her various Cabinets were anything other than grade A cunts?

I thought it from the moment I was capable of political thought, probably helped along by my older brother who was heavily involved in supporting the miners during the strike( he performed in the Concert for Heroes at the Albert Hall in 1986, as did Lindisfarne, Weller, etc).

I realised it (their cuntery) then, and I recognise it now, if anything they've upped the ante.

Then I realised, CT is different to me and you.

For a cone-headed, buck-toothed, sparrow-shouldered ginger, the 80s must've been a tough time.

A bloke can only take so much rejection, and after yet another night spent sitting in the corner at Walkers or the Mayfair, watching the likes of me and PaddockLad fighting off the blart, it's easy to see how he'd come to hate his more handsome, less ginger contemporaries.

And then...... the conversion.

The new manager at SCS arrives, a former RGS boy called Marcus, or fucking Jeremy, whatever, and he's different.

He's posh, wears pink shirts blazers and chinos, (rugby shirts on dress down Friday), and, importantly, he doesn't ignore our Ginger Golem.

He cracks jokes with Tubs, calling the punters Plebs and Oiks ( out of earshot, naturally), brings Blue Nun for the staff tombola, gives him sales tips on flogging the utterly pointless Dralon Stainguard Treatment to grannies who can't afford it ( " fuck 'em, think of the commission Smeagol).

And idolises Thatcher.

Granted, he's shagging Debbie from Accounts and Customer Complaints that CT has secretly loved from the day he saw her, but hey, Marcus/fucking Jeremy gives our boy some attention!

A few years on, a promotion to deputy part-time managers assistant in the Leather suites and Pouffes section, the Tory conversion is well under way.

When MfJ gives the Goober tickets to a sportmans dinner where he meets Beardsley and other players ( and gets a Polaroid taken! The roughnecks in the warehouse will be soooo jealous!) it's a done deal.

Tory Boy is born. :lol:

Just seen this :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of fistfights...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/06/ukip-leadership-favourite-steven-woolfe-collapses-in-european-parliament

The would be king of UKIP has been clocked in an MEP meeting and is now in hospital.

Serious condition apparently. Following a meeting of UKIP MEPs ffs. Hope he's alright but honestly if any fucker votes for that lot, they should know that this is the quality of human being you're getting.

Yeah sounds like it was some punch. I think it's very interesting that they've not revealed who threw it, mind. Presumably hoping that the whole thing will blow over if he recovers quickly enough.

Hopefully he's ok but yes, fully agree with the rest of your comment.

So the Twittersphere has put forward that Woolfe offered to fight the other guy outside, which presumably everyone else present felt was acceptable? and then apparently lost and was punched repeatedly.

If that's true then UKIP are going to look like total knackers.