Politics

Christmas Tree

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

I give up. We can't cherry pick the parts we want to keep and dump the others. The EU have been crystal clear on this from the outset. There is literally zero chance we are getting a better deal out than in. 

We literally can't remain in the customs union and then make our own deals around the world, which I thought was the main reason you wanted out. Can you not work out why? I'm not going to explain it to you because it's so basic it literally means you are clueless. There will absolutely have to a hard border in NI if we leave the CU.

The EU may agree to a bilateral deal that benefits them. But this will take years and crucially won't include services.

You are absolute evidence this referendum was a terrible idea. 

Im sorry :lol: 

You are too busy bashing your keyboard with insult after insult to comprehend anything other than your own bile. Grow up, slow down and try and understand.

You are getting hung up on labels. Try and think a bit more openly about this. 

Just because we are out of THEE customs union doesn’t mean we can’t replace it with another customs union as part of the new deal. As it would be a bespoke new customs union we would be able to do our new trade deals and the Irish issue will be sorted.

We will no longer be a member of the Single market but will instead have access to it. 

Most people, including the EU understand that finically services need to continue otherwise the winners will be placed like New York and Singapore. The argument has moved on from passporting.

This is not going to take years as both sides want to start implementing this new agreed deal in 17 months time.

Fucking hell. Do you even know what a customs union is?

Actually, scrap that. Why don't we start on an easier but related question. What are your opinion is the principal reason for trade tariffs? In your own words, one sentence please. 

Edited by Renton

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

there he goes with the frankfurt/singapore line again :lol:

Just repeats the same shit as nauseum without ever responding to other people's points. But at least it's happy shit. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Bespoke unprecedented deal in 17 months given the start we've had to negotiations. :lol:

You just don’t understand what’s going on. :lol:

We are not starting from scratch negotiating every little thing. In simplistic terms for you....,

Tomorrow night we could leave the single market and the following day have a new arrangement (call it associate deal or whatever you like). Virtually nothing would need to change other than face saving.

We are no longer members but now have to pay a fee. Everything continues as before trade wise.

This is essence is how this is going to work. It’s just down to money.

It's inconceivable both sides negotiating would act as they currently are if everything was as you state, CT. You either realise this and you're a tedious wum or you don't and you're thick. I tend to favour a combo of both with a heavy leaning* to the latter

*Pun intended

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

You just don’t understand what’s going on. :lol:

We are not starting from scratch negotiating every little thing. In simplistic terms for you....,

Tomorrow night we could leave the single market and the following day have a new arrangement (call it associate deal or whatever you like). Virtually nothing would need to change other than face saving.

We are no longer members but now have to pay a fee. Everything continues as before trade wise.

This is essence is how this is going to work. It’s just down to money.

As you say, I'm out. No point in arguing with this much stupid.

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

You can laugh, but even the chancellor explained this in depth to the treasury select committee this morning ;)

let me explain it you very succinctly again. financial institutions with a global footprint aren't going to abandon the idea of having a base in a European timezone. If they can't do their European business in London, they'll move it to Frankfurt or Paris. 

Paris is already making come to bed eyes

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/07/france-london-banks-brexit-paris-taxes

Frankfurt, while dull as fuck, will be the favourite destination for many. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/21/banks-and-companies-plan-expansion-in-frankfurt-after-brexit

they're not about to all up sticks to singapore and NY. 

i mean, just last week goldman sachs leased a new building in frankfurt allowing it to add 800 staff as part of its brexit contingency planning. 

but sure, paris and singapore are going to be the real winners. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

It's inconceivable both sides negotiating would act as they currently are if everything was as you state, CT. You either realise this and you're a tedious wum or you don't and you're thick. I tend to favour a combo of both with a heavy leaning* to the latter

*Pun intended

Alex man drop the wum patter. You might not agree with my view or politics but nothing I have posted is from a wum point of view.

The reason we are where we are is largely down to the stupid way in which the EU sequenced talks. I.e. Trying to solve the money and Ireland before trade talks.

The money was / is never going to be agreed until a trade deal is agreed and the arrangements for Ireland are 100% influenced by the  customs arrangements agreed as part of that trade deal.

Tbf, I did infer it was more a case of your being thick, CT. As evidenced by the apparent delusion that I'm interested in discussing it with you in any detail. You might as well just be posting blah, blah, blah for all the depth you bring to the table. You're a fucking idiot

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

let me explain it you very succinctly again. financial institutions with a global footprint aren't going to abandon the idea of having a base in a European timezone. If they can't do their European business in London, they'll move it to Frankfurt or Paris. 

Paris is already making come to bed eyes

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/07/france-london-banks-brexit-paris-taxes

Frankfurt, while dull as fuck, will be the favourite destination for many. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/21/banks-and-companies-plan-expansion-in-frankfurt-after-brexit

they're not about to all up sticks to singapore and NY. 

Rather than type lots explaining why you are incorrect, I would refer you to I player, BBC parliament, todays treasury select committee where the chancellor explained why Europe got all excited at the idea of nicking financial services, why they now understand its not in their interests and why New York, Singapore etc would be the winners.

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

Rather than type lots explaining why you are incorrect, I would refer you to I player, BBC parliament, todays treasury select committee where the chancellor explained why Europe got all excited at the idea of nicking financial services, why they now understand its not in their interests and why New York, Singapore etc would be the winners.

:lol:

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Tbf, I did infer it was more a case of your being thick, CT. As evidenced by the apparent delusion that I'm interested in discussing it with you in any detail. You might as well just be posting blah, blah, blah for all the depth you bring to the table. You're a fucking idiot

:lol:

or a shit deal, both of which are a genuine possibility and the main reason why frankfurt or paris would be the main beneficiary from a hardish brexit, not singapore and NY ffs. it's a transparent piece of brinksmanship by hammond because he's shiiting himself. he understands what's at stake here.  

it really is really simple, even you should get it. europe will continue to be a key financial centre after brexit for many reasons - it's the bridge between east and west and has a crucial timezone. if the halfwits in charge fuck it up, the likes of GS are moving their european HQs elsewhere on the continent. that's a fact

3.5 minutes of that. Why not just come straight out and say that it’s unreasonable and it needs look at. It’s noncommittal and finishes that line of questioning.

Edited by ewerk