Politics

Christmas Tree

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

CT, whether Labour 'bribed' the electorate or not, the point remains that the current, centrist system, is falling apart. It's not Labour's fault that everyone is miserable. It's not even really the Tories when you get down to it, they've been following the same flawed framework as their predecessors - they're just too stupid to realise that they can't answer the question within that framework.

It's going to happen one way or another. It has to and it will. Whatever people think they're voting for is not as relevant as actually reforming the system.

Baby, bath water etc...,

more houses and improved productivity would sort sort a lot of today’s problems. All possible to achieve under this system of government. Just needs governments to take a more long term view.

Not necessarily regarding more houses, in that there is a massive skills gap in construction and a report today noted 22% of consultants are looking at pulling their businesses out of the uk if Brexit goes ahead. That’s people like structural engineers etc. So even if the will/money is there to build the necessary houses (it isn’t FYI) the people and skills aren’t.

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Not necessarily regarding more houses, in that there is a massive skills gap in construction and a report today noted 22% of consultants are looking at pulling their businesses out of the uk if Brexit goes ahead. That’s people like structural engineers etc. So even if the will/money is there to build the necessary houses (it isn’t FYI) the people and skills aren’t.

Thats based on the UK having no access to the single market and any future UK government refusing to allow the necessary skilled workers in. Both highly unlikely and to my knowledge not suggested by anyone in the government ever.

7 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Thats based on the UK having no access to the single market and any future UK government refusing to allow the necessary skilled workers in. Both highly unlikely and to my knowledge not suggested by anyone in the government ever.

What the actual fuck? :lol:

Have you read any news in the last 6 months?

I rarely post in here because I’m not the most well read on the topic. But regarding social housing and house building, which is the industry I have worked in since I left school I feel like I probably know more about what going on than most.

the government is paying lip service to both private house builders and social housing needs, the skills gap is widening by the day and foreign workers make up a massive part of the workforce and not just the trades. The whole thing is a shit show, with CITB being pilloried (rightly), apprenticeships becoming less than useless, promises of <10% of the needed amounts of social housing to be built and not enough land being released by the government for private builders who fudge the social/affordable figures anyway.

No wonder homelessness is on the rise.

53 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol:

anytime you want to post a link disputing the above ......

Plenty of the more extreme brexiters in the cabinet let alone the Tory back benchers are salivating at the prospect of a "no deal" Brexit. And drastically cutting back on immigration is the whole fucking point of this idiocy. Companies are already gearing up for the worst case scenario.

Next month is critical. If the divorce Doesn't progress satisfactorily (money, people, and NI) then we have run out of time to make any trade deal. Then I believe the choice dichotomises to falling off the cliff or cancelling the whole sorry saga.

You've got a fucking nerve asking for links too. You've repeatedly dodged all questions asked of you and just spouted inane platitudes such as cracking deals and eating cakes instead. :lol:

46 minutes ago, strawb said:

I rarely post in here because I’m not the most well read on the topic. But regarding social housing and house building, which is the industry I have worked in since I left school I feel like I probably know more about what going on than most.

the government is paying lip service to both private house builders and social housing needs, the skills gap is widening by the day and foreign workers make up a massive part of the workforce and not just the trades. The whole thing is a shit show, with CITB being pilloried (rightly), apprenticeships becoming less than useless, promises of <10% of the needed amounts of social housing to be built and not enough land being released by the government for private builders who fudge the social/affordable figures anyway.

No wonder homelessness is on the rise.

I'm sure the taxi driver will be along to correct you presently.  :razz:

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Plenty of the more extreme brexiters in the cabinet let alone the Tory back benchers are salivating at the prospect of a "no deal" Brexit. And drastically cutting back on immigration is the whole fucking point of this idiocy. Companies are already gearing up for the worst case scenario.

Next month is critical. If the divorce Doesn't progress satisfactorily (money, people, and NI) then we have run out of time to make any trade deal. Then I believe the choice dichotomises to falling off the cliff or cancelling the whole sorry saga.

You've got a fucking nerve asking for links too. You've repeatedly dodged all questions asked of you and just spouted inane platitudes such as cracking deals and eating cakes instead. :lol:

:lol:  Thought so

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm sure the taxi driver will be along to correct you presently.  :razz:

Dont disagree with what he’s said as indicated by my earlier comments that the housing situation could change if any of the governments over the last 40 years had taken the matter seriously.

5 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol:  Thought so

Thought what, seriously? What do you want a link to, literally thousands of web pages? Fuck that. Why don't you tell us what you think will happen, in a bit more detail  than "cracking deal"?

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Dont disagree with what he’s said as indicated by my earlier comments that the housing situation could change if any of the governments over the last 40 years had taken the matter seriously.

Wow, profound. 

12 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Baby, bath water etc...,

more houses and improved productivity would sort sort a lot of today’s problems. All possible to achieve under this system of government. Just needs governments to take a more long term view.

They don't and wont. Not in this system where getting and keeping "power" every election is the be all and end all. Too many "career" politicians who're competent at politicking but useless at governing. 

The populace is too distracted by sound bites and faux outrage to truly consider longer term policies and politics. Also they treat politics as if it's a team to support, and will vote for their team instead of the party that proposes the best policies. 

8 hours ago, Renton said:

Thought what, seriously? What do you want a link to, literally thousands of web pages? Fuck that. Why don't you tell us what you think will happen, in a bit more detail  than "cracking deal"?

Actually, please don’t.

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

We've got a Tory PM who is driving us off a cliff against her own beliefs in order to retain a hold on power and CT is chirping on about long term approaches?

It’s hilarious as it is worrying. She’s about as unprincipled as they come, abandoning her own beliefs, as well as the national interest, to cling to power when her reputation is already beyond repairable. 

Actually, the one thing that might go some way towards salvaging it would be if she just admitted Davis is getting us nowhere, that no deal isn’t better than a bad deal. Then she could withdraw article 50, admitting the whole thing was a waste of time and money but let’s just be very British about it and carry on with a stiff up lip and pretend it never happened. 

On 10/11/2017 at 9:30 AM, Dr Gloom said:

It's the tweet that keeps on giving

Apart from Brexit he may also have had a part to do with the reason for the Iraq war and bunged the conservative party with 17m quid. Hard to believe this is true tbh but have a look anyway......

http://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/david-camerons-secret-nuclear-weapons-deal-raised-17-8m-for-conservative-party-funds-sets-pretext-for-war/

Labour are roughly 3 points up in the opinion polls. Given that the Tory party is currently an absolute shambles, is that enough? Apart from Thornberry they appear to have gone silent over the last few months.

4 hours ago, ewerk said:

Labour are roughly 3 points up in the opinion polls. Given that the Tory party is currently an absolute shambles, is that enough? Apart from Thornberry they appear to have gone silent over the last few months.

I expect this is strategic. The Tories are doing wall to wall damage to themselves at the moment. No need to get involved. Labour just need to campaign as well as they did last time when it comes to the main event.