Politics

Christmas Tree

I’m all for a successful Brexit but Westminster looks to be struggling to deliver it. If I woke up tomorrow and it was cancelled I’d just get on with my day. Much prefer no brexit to bodged Brexit.

If Labour had a stronger leader they would be romping home.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

They can't take shit then. Both sides have already agreed the terms of leaving the EU, SM and CU. The debate is over.

You think so? The Daily Mail commentariat, who I use as a barometer for crazy right wing thinking, all consider the prospect of NI having different terms to be tantamount to 'giving NI to the EU'. Treason. Selling off the UK. No deal is better than a bad deal.

This has a long fucking way to run yet. How practically achievable Brexit is, is far less important than how Brexit is perceived.

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m all for a successful Brexit but Westminster looks to be struggling to deliver it. If I woke up tomorrow and it was cancelled I’d just get on with my day. Much prefer no brexit to bodged Brexit.

OoooOO you minx.

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

As an aside, this looks like a confession that we've all been right about this all along.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

You think so? The Daily Mail commentariat, who I use as a barometer for crazy right wing thinking, all consider the prospect of NI having different terms to be tantamount to 'giving NI to the EU'. Treason. Selling off the UK. No deal is better than a bad deal.

This has a long fucking way to run yet. How practically achievable Brexit is, is far less important than how Brexit is perceived.

There will be a general election this year and a hung Parliament/narrow Lab maj and Brexit will be cancelled. All in all it's all down to Labour now and how much fight they have.

2 minutes ago, Park Life said:

There will be a general election this year and a hung Parliament/narrow Lab maj and Brexit will be cancelled. All in all it's all down to Labour now and how much fight they have.

I think this too, for the most part. I just don't think anything was lost in a strategic sense by not committing to an assault on Brexit before all the pieces are on the board, whereas Renton and ewerk seem to think that barrelling into the issue while May technically has the ability to manoeuvre, is the way forward.

Edited by Rayvin

Just now, Rayvin said:

I think this too, for the most part. I just don't think anything was lost in a strategic sense by not committing to an assault on Brexit before all the pieces are on the board, whereas Renton and ewerk seem to think that barrelling into the issue while May technically has the ability to manoeuvre, is the way forward.

It's time to attack. This is the moment where all history is written. /Parkanista

3 minutes ago, Park Life said:

I think if she sorts this week and gets to phase 2, then she’ll step down pretty quickly and a new broom will revamp the cabinet and give it a year or so to get a deal without calling an election.

2 minutes ago, Park Life said:

It's time to attack. This is the moment where all history is written. /Parkanista

I hope they don't. I'm far less convinced that the government would just blunder into this than the rest of you seem to be. And I still think that nothing is lost by waiting, if this is indeed an unsolvable problem.

Edited by Rayvin

10 minutes ago, Park Life said:

I can't see an election in the next 26 days myself.

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It doesn't matter what the Mail readers say, once it's agreed there's no going back. BTW did you see the front page of the DM this morning? Not a single mention of Brexit.

It's running pretty high up on the Mail Online:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5146603/May-races-win-DUP-Brexit-divorce-deal.html

Also this one, branding May as "ludicrously incompetent"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5146793/Sturgeon-leads-Remoaner-drive-UK-single-market.html

Edited by Rayvin

24 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Much prefer no brexit to bodged Brexit.

On 17/10/2017 at 1:06 PM, Christmas Tree said:

I’m certainly coming around to the idea of us quickly confirming we are moving onto WTO terms if they don’t pull their finger out.

:scratchchin:

Just now, ewerk said:

Wut?

Meenzers confused by the two statements he’s highlighted. I’m pretty happy for any version of Brexit that allows the main benefit (IMO), free trade deals.

I see no point in a “bodged” Brexit that prevents us from doing them. Might as well just cancel it.

A no deal WTO Brexit would be blocked by parliament.

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

A no deal WTO Brexit would be blocked by parliament.

How? Parliament has been given a vote on any end deal. WTO means that there's no deal and therefore nothing for parliament to vote on. If there's no deal by March 2019 we're out and default to WTO whether parliament likes it or not.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

How? Parliament has been given a vote on any end deal. WTO means that there's no deal and therefore nothing for parliament to vote on. If there's no deal by March 2019 we're out and default to WTO whether parliament likes it or not.

There would be a vote of confidence and the government would fall long before March 19

Edited by Christmas Tree