Politics

Christmas Tree

The Tories will take this opportunity to heavily clamp down on all the dodgy Russian money that is being laundered in the UK and London in particular because they didn't know about it until now.

20 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yep. Certainly there's enough doubt in there to make it worth having someone in parliament actually ask that due process is followed anyway.

As a member of the Privy Council surely he would have already been fully briefed on the steps that had been taken?

52 minutes ago, ewerk said:

As a member of the Privy Council surely he would have already been fully briefed on the steps that had been taken?

What do you mean by steps? The ones taken to confirm that the stuff came from Russia?

I'm fairly sure that we won't yet have any definitive proof of this tbh. And tbh, I suspect that it has come from Russia - even though I still don't understand why a failed assassination attempt that causes an international custerfuck before they host a world cup, using a chemical that they know will be traced back to them, and while they are running an election, is in any way a desirable outcome for them.

49 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah and he still said in parliament that we need real evidence. 

Russian nationals did this. No evidence to suggest the Kremlin ordered it. Police investigation hasn't reported yet. So we expel a load of embassy staff, an exercise in shutting the door after the horse has bolted due to Russian nationals actions in the UK over the last 20 years or so.

New Labour and the tories are complicit in allowing this situation to get where it is today. Russian oligarchs/gangsters laundering their loot in the CoL with impunity where Putin can’t get his hands on it, whether they support him or not.  Chelsea fans & the FA don’t care either. What a fuckin mess. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What do you mean by steps? The ones taken to confirm that the stuff came from Russia?

I'm fairly sure that we won't yet have any definitive proof of this tbh. And tbh, I suspect that it has come from Russia - even though I still don't understand why a failed assassination attempt that causes an international custerfuck before they host a world cup, using a chemical that they know will be traced back to them, and while they are running an election, is in any way a desirable outcome for them.

You don’t understand Putin.

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Russian nationals did this. No evidence to suggest the Kremlin ordered it. Police investigation hasn't reported yet. So we expel a load of embassy staff, an exercise in shutting the door after the horse has bolted due to Russian nationals actions in the UK over the last 20 years or so.

Russian nationals don’t do this without Putin’s approval.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Enlighten me?

Going off the reaction (according to the Beeb) of some Russians in Russia it seems a bit like this to me:

He's gotten rid of a traitor, took the piss out of the UK and at the same time managed to make it look like it's all been set-up by the UK to try and make him look bad in the run up to the election. He can use this to bang the nationalist drum in the run up to the election. I know he's going to win but, as previously mentioned, high turn-out legitimises the result. This is especially the case when the main opponent has been banned from running and has been campaigning for people not to vote in protest.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Enlighten me?

He wants the world to know that he can do this with relative impunity. It's a warning not only to potential turncoats but to the international community. The only alternative is that it's a false flag attack and that seems to not make much sense.

If he had done it in the US then fair enough, but the UK? We're fucking nobodies. And moreover, the guy is still alive. How does that make him look good? In fairness I don't know his chances or how long this is supposed to take, but still.

What if the West responded by pulling their teams out of the WC? He'd look like a fucking idiot. What if we clamped down on the oligarchs? For the sake of winning an election, is it worth it?

And also - if we know that he's doing this, why are we even bothering to respond? We're giving him exactly what he wants, and nothing we're doing is remotely meaningful in hurting him. So are we not just playing to his tune?

It isn't all about the election. The timing probably isn't a coincidence but IMO it's more a show of strength from him.

As I said, he knows he can do it with very little ramifications.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If he had done it in the US then fair enough, but the UK? We're fucking nobodies. And moreover, the guy is still alive. How does that make him look good? In fairness I don't know his chances or how long this is supposed to take, but still.

What if the West responded by pulling their teams out of the WC? He'd look like a fucking idiot. What if we clamped down on the oligarchs? For the sake of winning an election, is it worth it?

And also - if we know that he's doing this, why are we even bothering to respond? We're giving him exactly what he wants, and nothing we're doing is remotely meaningful in hurting him. So are we not just playing to his tune?

He's a macho prick though

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He wants the world to know that he can do this with relative impunity. It's a warning not only to potential turncoats but to the international community. The only alternative is that it's a false flag attack and that seems to not make much sense.

I generally disbelieve false flag scenarios however there are numerous countries with a vested interest in getting at Russia who have access to soviet era weapons.

The Guardian published an article the other day one how it could be that Putin is testing how much solidarity remains in the West, and I could maybe see it from that point of view. The UK having isolated itself from all of its friends thanks to Brexit and Trump, it does make sense to target us.

Kinda worrying though, if we become the testing ground for what Putin can and can't get away with. Suddenly starting to think that Trident may be worthwhile after all...