Politics

Christmas Tree

6 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

Those figures were an example of where I think they ought to be.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Tell me about this ideal 0% VAT rate.  What is it ideal for?

Yes, we'd all love everything to be free "ideally".  I'm surprised I have to explain to a fiscal conservative why that isn't possible.

1 minute ago, SpaceCadet said:

Fleased means conned... I'm not sure I heard it in the north east, I think it's a midland-southern term.

Thank you.  I will add it to my vocabulary.  Any idea where the term originates?

1 minute ago, adios said:

Yes, we'd all love everything to be free "ideally".  I'm surprised I have to explain to a fiscal conservative why that isn't possible.

That is why I put both "ideally" and "realistically". 

3 minutes ago, adios said:

Thank you.  I will add it to my vocabulary.  Any idea where the term originates?

According to the Etymology Dictionary, the first time the word fleece was used in the figurative sense was in the 1570s. And when used in the literal sense, fleecing an animal leaves it vulnerable to the elements, in a way "stealing" the coat off their back. It would make sense that the word evolved the way it did.

I don't understand, I thought 20% was realistic because that's the rate in reality.

And for future reference when you say "ideally" you are just fantasising?  You should dream bigger tbh.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

According to the Etymology Dictionary, the first time the word fleece was used in the figurative sense was in the 1570s. And when used in the literal sense, fleecing an animal leaves it vulnerable to the elements, in a way "stealing" the coat off their back. It would make sense that the word evolved the way it did.

Oh fleecing, yes I'm familiar with that term.  I'm sorry, I hadn't made the connection.

4 minutes ago, adios said:

Oh fleecing, yes I'm familiar with that term.  I'm sorry, I hadn't made the connection.

Can't  have. It's a Midlands southern term iirc.

Tbf, VAT is a regressive tax and I'd be fine abolishing it if it was compensated for with other progressive taxes, like inheritance. I suspect space cadet would go all daily mail at that though. Oh, and it's his current cunts who put it up to 20% of course. 

10 minutes ago, adios said:

I don't understand, I thought 20% was realistic because that's the rate in reality.

And for future reference when you say "ideally" you are just fantasising?  You should dream bigger tbh.

People visiting food banks is also a reality but a reality most would like to change for the better.

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Oh, and it's his current cunts who put it up to 20% of course. 

Yes, our party has an infestation of Keynesians at the moment, most conservatives would love to change that.

1 minute ago, SpaceCadet said:

Yes, our party has an infestation of Keynesians at the moment, most conservatives would love to change that.

As you've so humbly pointed out, you're not an economist, but you are somehow an Austrian economist (that actually makes an ironic sort of sense tbh).

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

Can't  have. It's a Midlands southern term iirc.

Tbf, VAT is a regressive tax and I'd be fine abolishing it if it was compensated for with other progressive taxes, like inheritance. I suspect space cadet would go all daily mail at that though. Oh, and it's his current cunts who put it up to 20% of course. 

I'm sure SC was just about to tell us his plans for new progressive taxation to cover the shortfall.

Surely his logic can't be as simple as "because growth"?

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Well well well, Conservatives take my area from Labour. 

Turkeys. Christmas. I've said it before, but at some point you just have to say they're welcome to it. 

35 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Not a great night for Labour.

I blame Renton.

Well what can you do. I'll say I'm convinced any decent Labour leader would have annihilated the conservatives, @Rayvin will somehow try to convince me that the evil neoliberals in the labour party are as bad as the Tories. And so that's who we end up with. 

For me, Corbyn is as culpable for this country's mess as May. Never before have we had such a pathetic opposition. 

36 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well what can you do. I'll say I'm convinced any decent Labour leader would have annihilated the conservatives, @Rayvin will somehow try to convince me that the evil neoliberals in the labour party are as bad as the Tories. And so that's who we end up with. 

For me, Corbyn is as culpable for this country's mess as May. Never before have we had such a pathetic opposition. 

I dont think theyre as bad as the Tories. If nothing else New Labour were more competent.

Tbh though maybe you're right about them being able to defeat the Tories in Corbyn's position.

Unfortunately i wouldn't be able to vote for them though.