Politics

Christmas Tree

46 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Then he's the man who delivered Brexit and beat down the populists. The Tories will win the next GE as people will punish Labour.

Eh? He is an archetypal populist!  You're tight that he will try to spin a blame narrative when it goes tits up but I can't see it working. If he blames the evil EU then that clashes with the narrative that Britain is all powerful he's spun until now. And he will have massive problems with both the NI border and Scotland. I can't see how the failure of a hard bexit can be spun onto Labour at all tbh, although Corbyn will always be a huge liability. 

Johnson isn't really anti-EU, he's ambivalent at worst. He used Brexit for his own personal ends. But it is very much a poisoned chalice. I bet he doesn't take it, again. 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

It would be difficult to block him at Parliament level as you'd need to get in two other candidates, rather than one. Also it's looking like every other fucker in the tory party has thrown their hat in the ring. I suspect Johnson will have the largest block. From there him becoming PM is a shoe in. 

Thing is though, he's not stupid and is all about himself. He knows no deal would be catastrophic and the WA will have to be signed, but there is still not the arithmetic for it. He wouldn't win a GE following a crash out imo. So what does he do? 

One thing is for certain, our democracy the leavers are always harping on about is a fucking joke. The EU is more democratic. 

Is there any evidence that Johnson is popular among his colleagues?

33 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Is there any evidence that Johnson is popular among his colleagues?

He would get the ERG block I'd guess, although maybe not if Raab stood? I think though at lot of tory MPs think he is their best chance at the next GE, and so preserving their own seats. Idiots like you know who do lap him up. He's favourite for the job anyhow. 

About the only potential contender I can stomach is Rory Stewart, but he's far too normal to stand a chance. 

Edited by Renton

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think Gove is the only one capable of pulling off Brexit.

In what way? I think it's impossible with the current parliamentary arithmetic and another GE might not change this much anyway. Gove is also too physically repulsive to be PM. 

On 5/18/2019 at 20:00, Renton said:

Johnson isn't really anti-EU, he's ambivalent at worst. He used Brexit for his own personal ends. 

:gettin:

Edited by RobinRobin

1 minute ago, zerosum said:

twitter rumours may is about to resign .. might be bullshit but the pound seems to be rising fast this afternoon  .. often a good marker 

I doubt the prospect of a successor promoting a no deal scenario does give the British currency a boost tbh

53 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'm also not convinced that currency traders have the inside line on what's going on in Theresa May's head.

they don’t need an inside line, just may be closing out short positions in anticipation of possible news. The quid has fallen over 1000 pips in 2 weeks, if anyone was heavy short they’d be buying to close it, hence a small rise.

27 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye. Loathsome cunt that she is. 

She's the epitome of that type of home counties, blue rinse tories - vile woman.

• Like 1

They're all utterly vile, every word that comes out of their mouths is a lie. Lies after fucking lie. And the Brexit Party. Tice just their actually blaming the liquidation of British Steel on the EU ffs. And he knows a sizable proportion of Scunthorpe will believe him. They honestly make me feel physically sick.