Politics

Christmas Tree

"It is now clear to me that it is in the best interest of the UK for a new PM to lead that effort," she says.

"I am today announcing that I will resign as Conservative leader on Friday 7 June.

"I have agreed with the party chairman that the process for electing a new leader will begin in the following week."

I made the mistake of flicking it onto Andrew Neil's show late last night and they were discussing the next Tory leader and they were saying Boris is the only one wth the charisma to rival Corbyn and Farage :lol:  This is what it has boiled down to, how popular someone is. Forget about their integrity, intelligence, morals, policies.

The next PM will be chosen by 0.2% of the population, statistically of whom most will be dead in 15 years. The president is hereditary and the second chamber is unelected.

Brexiteers like to wail about how undemocratic the EU is (whilst ironically voting on mass yesterday for their MEP), when in actual fact it is more democratic than our own system. Like everything else, maybe we should have tried to fix our own problems before worrying so much about supranational cooperation?

11 minutes ago, Sonatine said:

Can't disagree with any of that.  Fuck off back to your fields of wheat.

That Colin Yeo thread should remind everybody not to a feel an shred of sympathy for her. Trouble is, each and every one of the tory contenders will have a similar one.

7 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I made the mistake of flicking it onto Andrew Neil's show late last night and they were discussing the next Tory leader and they were saying Boris is the only one wth the charisma to rival Corbyn and Farage :lol:  This is what it has boiled down to, how popular someone is. Forget about their integrity, intelligence, morals, policies.

Not just that but how popular and charismatic they are compared to just two cunts. Like they’re some sort of benchmark that’s difficult to obtain

Edited by Alex

Watched these this morning...

Conclusion: we’re all in a lot of trouble :lol:

Possibly if we don’t leave the EU at the end of October we’ll get this lots’ version of democracy.  Ordinary people love Farage, he’s far from stupid and is a natural charismatic salesman who tells people precisely what they want to hear.  Bannon has banded all these types of characters together all over Europe and all we need to do is look at who sits in power in his homeland to see where all this may end up and how it happened. Looks to me European post war centralism/social democracy/small “c” Conservatism is on its deathbed. Things are changing. 

• Like 2

One of Johnson's biographers, who knew him really well, was on R5 drivetime yesterday. She sttated that at heart he was actually a europhile who is very supportive of the EU and our position in it. As we know his position in 2016 was pure political opportunism that backfired. I maintain he won't be the one at the wheel if Brexit happens. 

But in response to PL, I was out with an Asian mate tonight who said he felt now like that the zeitgeist in this country has fundamentally changed since 2016, and he no longer feels safe in Newcastle like he did say a decade ago. He said he doesn't know if it is just paranoia, but things don't feel right. I dont think he's imagining it personally, we're witnessing the logical conclusion of popularism. When a third of the country vote fir Farage, that country has genuine problems. I really hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

That’s horrible to hear but completely unsurprising at the same time. And Newcastle is probably relatively tolerant 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I think en masse Newcastle is one of the most tolerant and diverse cities in the country but everywhere has it’s idiots.

Actual conversation in Glasgow.

boy wearing turban playing a slot machine in a bar in Glasgow.

Regular sidles up and says “so what religion are you”

guy replies “Sikh”.

Glaswegian “aye but are you a tim Sikh or a hun Sikh?”