Politics

Christmas Tree

There can be no objection to allowing Corbyn to head a GNU just for long enough to get the extension over the line and call a GE, surely. Corbyn would have no power in this scenario without the consent of the others. 

It's a bit much saying Swinson is closer to the tories than labour mind, I really don't think that's true considering the Tories are to the right of satan currently. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Renton said:

There can be no objection to allowing Corbyn to head a GNU just for long enough to get the extension over the line and call a GE, surely. Corbyn would have no power in this scenario without the consent of the others. 

It's a bit much saying Swinson is closer to the tories than labour mind, I really don't think that's true considering the Tories are to the right of satan currently. 

Well apparently that's what she thinks herself. She's ruled out working with Labour but not the Tories, according to Gloom.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Well apparently that's what she thinks herself. She's ruled out working with Labour but not the Tories, according to Gloom.

My bad. It was on Marr. She categorically refused to work with labour under Corbyn but dodged the question about another alliance with the Tories 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2019/09/15/on-andrew-marr-lib-dem-leader-jo-swinson-hints-at-a-betrayal-worse-than-tuition-fees/amp/

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

My bad. It was on Marr. She categorically refused to work with labour under Corbyn but dodged the question about another alliance with the Tories 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2019/09/15/on-andrew-marr-lib-dem-leader-jo-swinson-hints-at-a-betrayal-worse-than-tuition-fees/amp/

Yeah so, this speaks volumes really. I don't think she's understood that her party are being buoyed by predominantly centre-left remainers. Who will more naturally gravitate to Corbyn than any Tory lite position.

Anyway, apparently there is a movement to get behind Margaret Beckett taking over as PM. Tory outcasts could support that, so presumably the LDs could too.

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

She specifically criticised Johnson for increasing spending and used the phrase "tough choices" - she's a huge fan of austerity. 

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

She specifically criticised Johnson for increasing spending and used the phrase "tough choices" - she's a huge fan of austerity. 

Johnson's spending pledges aren't costed and are a  clear bribe he will not honour. I'm critical of them too. I'm not a fan of Swinson by any means. But I'm also not a fan of the tendency to equate every centrist as a right wing extremist either. 

Edited by Renton

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Anyway, apparently there is a movement to get behind Margaret Beckett taking over as PM. Tory outcasts could support that, so presumably the LDs could too.

I'd love to think Beckett was playing a hell of a long game by nominating Corbyn for leader in the knowledge that he'd end up being useless and something like this would happen. :lol: 

Just now, Meenzer said:

I'd love to think Beckett was playing a hell of a long game by nominating Corbyn for leader in the knowledge that he'd end up being useless and something like this would happen. :lol: 

:lol:

Apparently she's a popular choice because no one thinks she has any aspirations to hold power, so maybe she's played them all.

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Johnson's spending pledges aren't costed and are a  clear bribe he will not honour. I'm critical of them too. I'm not a fan of Swinson by any means. But I'm also not a fan of the tendency to equate every centrist as a right wing extremist either. 

But Swinson herself is positioning herself that way by distancing from Labour and towards the Tories. I don't know enough about her policies to say one way or the other about her, but from her own mouth, she sounds prepared to enable a Tory government.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

But Swinson herself is positioning herself that way by distancing from Labour and towards the Tories. I don't know enough about her policies to say one way or the other about her, but from her own mouth, she sounds prepared to enable a Tory government.

She has ruled out supporting either of the main parties under their current leaders. She's also ruled out supporting Indyref2 so that puts her at odds with the SNP.

She's basically alienated herself from everyone she could possibly have to work with after a GE. She appears to be a bit deluded regarding her chances of getting an overall majority.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Really? Can you evidence this? How does this play with the labour rebels that have joined the LDs?

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

She has ruled out supporting either of the main parties under their current leaders. She's also ruled out supporting Indyref2 so that puts her at odds with the SNP.

She's basically alienated herself from everyone she could possibly have to work with after a GE. She appears to be a bit deluded regarding her chances of getting an overall majority.

She doesn't want to alienate her new rebel members either. This will never work. 

Just now, Renton said:

Really? Can you evidence this? How does this play with the labour rebels that have joined the LDs?

The evidence is what Gloom posted on the last page. And also, I might add, supporting austerity - the most damaging Tory policy of our generation.

She seems far harder on Corbyn than anyone else, she's falling over herself to distance from Labour. Anyway, like I said, I'm not really following her - if I've got her wrong then my bad, but no smoke without fire, etc.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah when you put it like this it does seem like she's staking everything on the GE. At least she's still targeting the Tories over Labour on that front.

11 minutes ago, NJS said:

Taking in those tory rebels who are in no way proper liberals has pissed off a hell of a lot of her members as well. 

Is this actually true in the sense that we have evidence of it, or just your impression from talking to some of them?

Not doubting you as such, just curious if anyone has actually explored it - I would indeed think it would be jarring for the party's left.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Is this actually true in the sense that we have evidence of it, or just your impression from talking to some of them?

Not doubting you as such, just curious if anyone has actually explored it - I would indeed think it would be jarring for the party's left.

They lost at least one if not more of their lgbqt committee's chairs due to one of them being an out and out homophobe. 

Edited by NJS

23 minutes ago, NJS said:

They lost at least one if not more of their lgbqt committee's chairs due to one of them being an out and out homophobe. 

I assume that LGBTQ chair took the same stance when Tim Farron led the party?

In a way it's great that the Tories have to send these completely unrelatable fucking bellends like Cox and Rees-Mogg out out to treat the whole thing like a giant game. To any normal person this pomposity is unbearable.