Politics

Christmas Tree

4 hours ago, Renton said:

There can be no objection to allowing Corbyn to head a GNU just for long enough to get the extension over the line and call a GE, surely. Corbyn would have no power in this scenario without the consent of the others. 

It's a bit much saying Swinson is closer to the tories than labour mind, I really don't think that's true considering the Tories are to the right of satan currently. 

Swinson IS a Tory ffs :lol:

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Fair enough.

As an aside, I wonder what CT makes of all of this. If he can finally see the Tories for what they are, or if he is still more interested in being 'right'.

You just answered your own question

• Haha 1

Jesus Christ Johnson is an almighty cunt. 

Reminded by a Labour MP of Jo Cox’s murder and asked to change his language and tone he responds by referring to the ‘surrender bill’. And then goes on to describe the complaints as ‘humbug’. 

There can’t be many PMs throughout history less suited for the office.

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Jesus Christ Johnson is an almighty cunt. 

Reminded by a Labour MP of Jo Cox’s murder and asked to change his language and tone he responds by referring to the ‘surrender bill’. And then goes on to describe the complaints as ‘humbug’. 

There can’t be many PMs throughout history less suited for the office.

He'll get what's coming to him, but it sounds like he's fully backing Cumming's people vs Parliament strategy.

I've never seen anything like this. A new fucking low. He's just said that the best way to respect Jo Cox's memory is to deliver Brexit. 

I don't know what the mechanism is, but the opposition parties need to find a way to come together and remove him from office cos this is genuinely obscene. 

My patience with leave/Tory voters is spent now like.

If you vote for this now, you are actively voting to harm the country by putting a serial liar and bully into power, a man who only cares about being in power and will say or do anything to get it. You are choosing to ignore all evidence of companies going under due to Brexit, all the warnings of medicine supplies, food prices, all the fucking chaos this has caused, and the harm that has been done simply because it's all anyone has been able to focus on - just so that you can say you were right and can avoid admitting that maybe, just maybe, when you voted for this you had no fucking idea what you were voting for because you're politically ignorant - something that isn't directly your fault because the Tories and right wing press designed you that way, but which is your responsibility to resolve once realised - at the expense of literally the entire country and 60 million lives.

• Like 3

Also going to add that no one on the Brexit side now, IMO, believes that it's for the good of the country. As evidenced by the constantly shifting goalposts on 'what the people originally voted for'. Just fucking admit that you don't care what happens as long as you get your way.

• Like 1

A civil war maybe not but random acts of violence are possible.

I think we now need to have that referendum asap - Parliament should pass a motion for it while it retains a majority, kick Boris out of office and form a unity government, and then simply hold firm until the matter is settled one way or another. If we still vote for Brexit then it can be implemented in whatever safe way Parliament comes up with, immediately neutering Boris' 'will of the people' platform. If it goes for Remain I would say all legitimacy falls away from him to campaign for it also, though I daresay he'll try, but it'll destroy the Tory party altogether.

The only party with any policies left after all of this is actually going to be Labour.

1 hour ago, strawb said:

The idea of gammons causing civil war is really funny to me, someone’s diabetic uncle kicking off isn’t civil war

History books of the future- “ The Brexit War saw a crushing loss to the Gammonheads at The Battle of Romford Wetherspoons, where over 90% of the aging BAU Gammon Army failed to turn up for battle as Bombardier was on special at £2 a pint. 

The ensuing massacre saw the People’s Popular Remain Leftist Coalition Liberation Front For Change sweep through the drunken ranks, brandishing vegan snacks at those still capable of running, and mildly rebuking the immobile in to submission.”

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Boris isn’t going anywhere. And last night he went full Trump. I don’t think this new, darker style of populist strongman politics is going to go away overnight, regrettably 

What do you mean? It seems unlikely to me that the Tories will hang onto him if he loses an election. It's not even very clear to me that they'll hang onto him if we don't leave by October 31st. He's very vulnerable, which is why he's doubling down so hard.

I think once Brexit is resolved, things will settle down - which is why the sooner we have that referendum, the sooner Boris loses his legitimacy to campaign on behalf of "the people" - either his thunder is stolen, or the people change their minds.

• Like 2