Politics

Christmas Tree

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

most likeable tory since ken clarke. almost human

Grieve has been the Tory hero for me in this whole mess.

And I think while watching the Tory party fall apart has been a lifelong dream, it's actually starting to make me nervous. It's falling apart in a rather dangerous political direction.

Here's a thing. Ken Clarke was regarded as an utter cunt in the 1980s and 90s. So was Hesltine etc. Has he changed, or has the entire political spectrum been dragged so far to the right he is now regarded as some wishy washy moderate, almost some Ghandi type figure?

It's the latter of course. This is objectively very worrying.

• Like 2

Interesting. He'll not win, of course, but it'll throw a spanner in the works for the Lib Dems who've been thinking they might spring a surprise by getting the second votes of Tories who aren't quite ready to jump ship yet. Rory will be a much easier second vote for them.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Here's a thing. Ken Clarke was regarded as an utter cunt in the 1980s and 90s. So was Hesltine etc. Has he changed, or has the entire political spectrum been dragged so far to the right he is now regarded as some wishy washy moderate, almost some Ghandi type figure?

It's the latter of course. This is objectively very worrying.

True. I find it funny how Clarke is being put forward as this anyone but Corbyn fantasy pm  by the lib dems when he voted for May's deal and advocates a soft Brexit. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

If Labour really want to get rid of Watson, this VIP paedo thing looks ideal.

I don't think there really is much will to get rid of him outside of a few Momentum ultras. The impression I had from that whole 'mess' was that no one in Labour high command much cared, and it was coming from a grassroots democratic/administrative process.

Rory Stewart was interviewed on the beeb this morning  he alluded to attending serious meetings- cabinet level - where he said the ministers were completely incompetent. No knowledge of their subject matter, treating serious national issues as if they were a joke, etc.

This is hardly surprising but still really quite alarming hearing it from the horse's mouth (pun not intended). He made the point that party politics is finished in this country. Hard to disagree. If I lived in London he would get my vote with that pitch. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3

On 08/10/2019 at 05:58, RobinRobin said:

Indeed, but won't matter, I am afraid.  We will quickly find out how good the US/UK relationship is :( 

Is this cunt for real?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas-car-crash-us-diplomat-uk-a9149746.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0UcYyBRD6pcT0ww4vIfj9ZSeQT5nMrgKIyjpmNn3-fAljhuls5sBjPls4#Echobox=1570653809