Politics

Christmas Tree

56 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Labour's turn today. :lol: fuck me. 

Makes the JC's front page yesterday look quite measured. Shylock FFS 

Edited by Dr Gloom

50 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Is calling a woman a cunt now classed as sexist? Surely it would be more sexist not to call her a cunt because she's a woman?

Everything is sexist, everything is racist, and you have to point it all out. --4th wave feminism.

18 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

You mean this? I'd argue there's a teensy layer of context you're ignoring. :lol: 

I'm not watching through that for the context, if you have a point to make you can just tell me. Is it the word system? Language is a system. So then, the word cunt could be argued to be sexist because it was established in a linguistic system which denigrates and reduces the contributions and attributes of women, and in particular because this word has the infamy of being 'the worst word in English' while also being a word for female genitalia. Thus the system it was constructed within, and the word itself, are inherently sexist, and neither should ever be used by woke thinking people :D

I'm open to you venturing your own theory on why the word cunt is sexist, I was actually talking entirely in earnest. Although having googled the matter I can see that the Guardian actually defended use of the word so maybe it's just an isolated incident (although I have heard murmurings about it being sexist in the past, not that I can remember where from).

21 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not watching through that for the context, if you have a point to make you can just tell me.

If you bother to watch it, you'll see your direct quote is cherry-picked from her taking the piss out of how insufferably idealistic she used to be before she learned more.

Not sure where the rest of your essay comes from, I was just pointing out the intellectual dishonesty of the "quote". :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

If you bother to watch it, you'll see your direct quote is cherry-picked from her taking the piss out of how insufferably idealistic she used to be before she learned more.

Not sure where the rest of your essay comes from, I was just pointing out the intellectual dishonesty of the "quote". :lol: 

A thousand apologies Meenzer, I will rephrase - certain 4th wave feminists have at various points in their careers, expressed the view that everything was sexist and racist, and that it should be pointed out at all times. However, upon learning that this switched people off (not, importantly, upon learning that it was not true) they decided to choose the battles more carefully so that they were able to make some headway. As such, we can conclude that the word cunt is sexist, but that it is not politically convenient for this to be expressed at all times.

There we go, a more accurate representation of what she says in the video that still basically supports everything I've said. Thanks for your time. FFS :lol: 

I'm gonna add that IMO they're probably right about this one in terms of subliminal reinforcement of negative prejudices, if not anyone's actual overt intent in use of the word.