Politics

Christmas Tree

3 hours ago, Renton said:

No, you've got the wrong end of the stick here. I'm not talking about MAD. I'm talking about deterring conventional warfare. "Don't attack us or we will fuck you up". As a defensive tactic, much more effective than any matching conventional weapons we could afford. And despite what KCG claims, that's what stopped the Russian tanks rolling across Europe 40 years ago and still does. Nuclear deterrence has stopped large scale conventional war, period. 

No the deterrent was the fact that if The Soviet Union prepared for conventional invasion everyone would have laughed their bollocks off that 90% of their armoured force would have broken down on the way. 

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

So the invention of fission and the later fusion thermonuclear bombs and the cessation of direct conflict between superpowers was entirely coincidental then? Give over. Nobody wanted to risk a conventional war because of nuclear escalation. Honestly,  its laughable to deny this. 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

So the invention of fission and the later fusion thermonuclear bombs and the cessation of direct conflict between superpowers was entirely coincidental then? Give over. Nobody wanted to risk a conventional war because of nuclear escalation. Honestly,  its laughable to deny this. 

No Nuclear bombs were created because once out of the box they couldn’t be put back in. As soon as the physics showed it could be done that was it. But even without Nuclear arms conventional world wars were out of the question because of the cost and the improvements in conventional weapons.  

Lib Dem candidate unilaterally stands down in Canterbury to give Rosie Duffield a free run. Within half an hour the Lib Dems announce that that was his personal decision and they'll be running another candidate.

Swinson is a fucking psycho. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Lib Dem candidate unilaterally stands down in Canterbury to give Rosie Duffield a free run. Within half an hour the Lib Dems announce that that was his personal decision and they'll be running another candidate.

Swinson is a fucking psycho. 

It is hard to imagine what they think they're going to gain there.

4 minutes ago, NJS said:

Swinson had previously directly appealed to the sitting Labour MP to join them as she seriously thinks all remainers are really lib dems. 

That's an insane position. Although tbh I have noticed that a decent number of remain voters have utterly no idea what Labour's position is. I find that surprising and clearly it's a LP failure to convey the message clearly, but these are supposed to be well educated people who take an active interest... the ones abandoning Labour for the LDs at least.

13 hours ago, Rayvin said:

The great protection has since become globalisation and the interdependency of markets.

Unfortunately, some orange cretin is doing his best to end and encouraging protectionism.  Which may be why the nuclear option is still required.

This is fucking brutal. I love the bit at 1:53 where someone must have asked "can we get a friendly brownface walking through that Boris can be nice to?" 

Someone on here said it the other day but the Tories are at their absolute worst when they pretend to be human. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rayvin said:

That's an insane position. Although tbh I have noticed that a decent number of remain voters have utterly no idea what Labour's position is. I find that surprising and clearly it's a LP failure to convey the message clearly, but these are supposed to be well educated people who take an active interest... the ones abandoning Labour for the LDs at least.

The Lib Dems (or Swindon) seem to think they’re got a shot at her being PM. Now that is insane 

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

How many takes do you think they had to do until he stopped saying 'curry' after seeing the token brown face?

Almost as many as it took to teach him how to make a cuppa? 

I love that the first thing he says is literally dogshit- sets the tone nicely. 

Seems to be costing them in the polls though. Down to 15%.

This could just get silly from here tbh. If it turns out that the Liberals cost us the seats required to stop the Tories it's yet another betrayal of their voter base. Unless they really do think they're going to become the soft Tory party.

Hopefully the swing to Labour represents LDs who recognise that they have to vote tactically. That message, at least, seems to be getting through.

what is the worst example of fake news anyone has see in the campaign so far, from any side? obviously there is the starmer GMB interview re-edit, the misleading LD leaflets, Tories claiming Labour's (unpublished) manifesto promises costing us all £2,400 per year.  any more whoppers i might have missed?