Politics

Christmas Tree

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

if only labour could point to recent evidence of improved spending and service under a labour government 

Labour should wipe the floor on this issue. And be upfront. The tories promises on immigration will wreck the NHS even more.

Patel and Javid, 2 second generation immigrants, are rank hypocrites too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

But Labour aren’t a remain party.

Yeah I keep seeing that statement doing the rounds and I find it mystifying. Labour will give us a second vote, which will very probably result in Remain. If it doesn't, I'm not sure any of us have any leg to stand on. Even I accept it at that point, but the second vote, IMO, is basically Remain.

I think that seems fair enough. In the first year of a Labour government we'd have the re-negotiation with the EU and then a second referendum. To go from that and jump straight into a Scottish referendum doesn't seem reasonable.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

I think that seems fair enough. In the first year of a Labour government we'd have the re-negotiation with the EU and then a second referendum. To go from that and jump straight into a Scottish referendum doesn't seem reasonable.

I agree, but yesterday he was saying it wouldn't be in the next 5 years, making this a 24 hour u-turn.

Sturgeon can say she'll demand it in return for cooperation in the event of a hung parliament but what’s she going to do? Go into coalition with Tories? As Begbie would say get tae fuckin’ fuck 

Owen Jones proving that he reads my posts on here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/14/lib-dems-labour-brexit-jo-swinson-remain-vote-boris-johnson

The Lib Dems will protest that this is terribly unfair. Are they not a national party with the right to stand wherever they choose? Yes, this is how politics works. But the problem is this: the party has made stopping Brexit its defining cause, while simultaneously portraying it as a crusade that transcends party politics. The Lib Dems know that throwing resources at seats they cannot win and peeling away significant numbers of Labour voters will allow the Tories to win. They know that demonising Labour as a “Brexit party” – when a Labour-led government implementing its policy of a second referendum is the only plausible route to stop Brexit – divides remainers to the benefit of the Tory Brexiteers. They know that focusing their vitriol on Corbyn strengthens the position of Johnson.

But ultimately they are not, by definition, an anti-Brexit party; the remain cause is secondary to increasing the number of Lib Dem seats in parliament. If your main aim in politics is to advance the partisan interests of the Lib Dems and repeat their performance in government, then this makes sense. If your only cause is stopping Brexit, however, it does not.

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I agree, but yesterday he was saying it wouldn't be in the next 5 years, making this a 24 hour u-turn.

To be fair he said "early years" - he seemed to want to take scotland along with the union rather than jettison them - I think that's a fair position.