Politics

Christmas Tree

Fuck the polls. Hung parliament still very much in play. 

Cold as ice while you lot soak your sheets. 

Rayvin the surprise exception, good work sir. 

Ewerk, I thought was made of stronger  stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Not telling us anything Gem didn't say earlier tbf. Tactical voting, I assume, can still swing it.

Organised tactical voting maybe. The reality is there's no chance of that happening.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Not telling us anything Gem didn't say earlier tbf. Tactical voting, I assume, can still swing it.

There are a lot of tight seats and this poll is a reflection of the current state of play but something needs to change for Labour/Lib Dems to tip the balance in the number of seats they need.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Organised tactical voting maybe. The reality is there's no chance of that happening.

4000 votes per seat really doesn't need to be that organised.

Momentum will be out on election day making sure the Lib Dems who would tactically vote Labour will do so. Hopefully the LDs have a similar cohort.

The educated voters are on our side in this, at least.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

As I said above, it’s not impossible but something has to change. A pact between Lib Dems and Labour would do it. Back down in certain seats and concentrate resources in targeted areas.

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Fuck the polls. Hung parliament still very much in play. 

Cold as ice while you lot soak your sheets. 

Rayvin the surprise exception, good work sir. 

In fairness, my expectations remain low - but between the large number of new voters who may not have been accounted for in polling, and the assumption that many Remain voters will vote tactically (every single Remainer I know is doing this), I think a bloody nose for the Tories is still possible, even if not likely.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

4000 votes per seat really doesn't need to be that organised.

Momentum will be out on election day making sure the Lib Dems who would tactically vote Labour will do so. Hopefully the LDs have a similar cohort.

The educated voters are on our side in this, at least.

It’s the working class that are the bigger worry for me. Without generalising, they’re the group least likely to vote tactically.

Just now, ewerk said:

It’s the working class that are the bigger worry for me. Without generalising, they’re the group least likely to vote tactically.

Yeah but given that 50% of them are supposedly pro Tory now, maybe that's not a bad thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about this tbh. I mean it looks absolutely shite, but the Best4Britain MRP closed 3 days before the YouGov one and showed an 82 seat majority. This one shows 60-odd - aye it's done on a different model, but this one better factors in the Labour bounce in recent days and is possibly suggestive of a good trajectory for Labour. 

I think it'll be much, much closer than this on the night. Two weeks to go, plenty time for Labour to make gains and flip some of these super thin marginals back in their favour. 

Basically, don't be soft shites. All is not lost. The Tories are now shitting it at the prospect of people staying home and expecting a big majority. Good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Apologies to @ewerk for name calling by the way. I’m just very, very, very frustrated & I’m trying my best not to lose faith in this country.

I think we're all going through a range of emotions on this.

Honestly I'm glad this community is here. We're all in the foxhole together.

• Like 1

I said in work this morning...something along the lines of “fucking hell Labour have just released a 451 page dossier detailing the governments plans to sell the NHS” 

A lady responded -

“Yes....but Corbyn doesn’t respect the queen though does he?”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I said in work this morning...something along the lines of “fucking hell Labour have just released a 451 page dossier detailing the governments plans to sell the NHS” 

A lady responded -

@wykikitoon, your services are needed. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

A lady responded -

Two reasons to vote Labour 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Apologies to @ewerk for name calling by the way. I’m just very, very, very frustrated & I’m trying my best not to lose faith in this country.

I think most of us on here have already lost faith. FTR my post was meant as a flippant remark rather than a personal attack, apologies if it came across as such.

Your comment about the lady at work unfortunately is the reason that Labour are behind at the moment. The general public simply do not like Jeremy Corbyn and that stretches across the political spectrum. I posted a poll the other day showing that the public saw Johnson as much more honest than Corbyn and that is set against Johnson's track record of lying about everything his entire life. This is a man who won't even acknowledge how many children he has sired FFS.

'Corbyn doesn't like the Queen', well at least he didn't lie to her face in order to shut down parliament for five weeks. But again, that sort of thing doesn't cut through. Partly because of his treatment by the right wing media and partly because he isn't politically/electorally intelligent. I've said before that if you took the Labour manifesto and gave it to a leader who had a bit of charisma and nous then Labour would be romping home because their vision for the country is infinitely better than what the Tories are offering.

For me the problem is that he is so adored by the momentum types that they cannot countenance that that feeling wouldn't be shared by the public at large. They've said 'wait until he announces his policies' and 'wait until you see him on the campaign trail' but none of that has borne any fruit. Of course it's too late to do anything about that. My fear is that the Labour membership will repeat the same mistake again and put someone like RLB or Piddock in charge when both of them have the same problem, they're just not likeable to the general public. If you look at the Labour shadow cabinet then I think the only candidates with the charisma needed are McDonnell and Starmer. Starmer of course probably isn't far enough to the left and neither of them are ideal but I can't see the grassroots opting for anyone from the back benches.

• Like 3