Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Being reported on Marr that Long Bailey will be Corbyn's replacement in the event of an electoral loss. She reminds me of a semi finalist from the Apprentice. I think at this stage, the Labour party is finished and we are into unknown territory. Thoughts? 

Rebecca Wrong Daily 

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Long-Bailey guarantees another lost election, I reckon. There is no way the electorate will view her as a potential PM. Unless she massively grows into the role. 

She’s absolutely fucking useless, as are most of Corbyn’s front bench - Burgon, Gardiner, Abbot, Piddick etc etc.

The only credible candidates in the shadow cabinet are John McD, Kier Starmer and Emily Thornberry. 

Yvette Cooper is the most natural and electable leader in waiting but she’s no chance as she’s viewed as a Blairite - ditto Tom Watson - by all the new members, who will ultimately decide. 

If it's a reasonably close run thing on Thursday but still a Tory majority I can't see Corbyn going. Who  in the cult going to tell him to fuck off? 

We could be entering  a sort of Tory "early nineties" stage. They should be sent packing but the media has done it's job as they did on 1992. This also means we need a major world wide finiacial fuck up that can be blamed firmly on Javid from which they never recover. Following that the Labour party need a moment of clarity where they elect Kier Starmer after disastrous European & local  election results around 2021/22. Is any of this likely? Not from where Unite leadership & Momentum are sitting at the moment, no. It's very, very unlikely...

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

If it's a reasonably close run thing on Thursday but still a Tory majority I can't see Corbyn going. Who  in the cult going to tell him to fuck off? 

We could be entering  a sort of Tory "early nineties" stage. They should be sent packing but the media has done it's job as they did on 1992. This also means we need a major world wide finiacial fuck up that can be blamed firmly on Javid from which they never recover. Following that the Labour party need a moment of clarity where they elect Kier Starmer after disastrous European & local  election results around 2021/22. Is any of this likely? Not from where Unite leadership & Momentum are sitting at the moment, no. It's very, very unlikely...

I genuinely think Corbyn will go of his own accord. He's too old for this now man, and was never all that interested in the position right from the start.

He'll hang about for a bit so Labour can transition smoothly, and then he'll go.

53 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I imagine there will be a membership vote. Hard to see any kind of cult forming around anyone else.

The membership has been taken over by corbynistas. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The membership has been taken over by corbynistas. 

And who will they vote for once Corbyn is gone? They aren't a hive mind whatever the media might have decided. I think there will be more left wing candidates and a broader split of votes.

34 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

And who will they vote for once Corbyn is gone? They aren't a hive mind whatever the media might have decided. I think there will be more left wing candidates and a broader split of votes.

Presumably another of Corbyn’s crew,  equally unelectable. RLB or Piddick. Best we could hope for is probably McDonnell

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Presumably another of Corbyn’s crew,  equally unelectable. RLB or Piddick. Best we could hope for is probably McDonnell

McDonnell is also unelectable. Nobody trusts a scouser. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

McDonnell is also unelectable. Nobody trusts a scouser. 

He’s a better form of Corbyn. He comes with plenty of baggage but is more electable than Corbyn. Whether that is enough is debatable.

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He’s a better form of Corbyn. He comes with plenty of baggage but is more electable than Corbyn. Whether that is enough is debatable.

I agree. Quite impressed by him personally but he's fucked by his baggage. 

It's not going to be McDonnell :lol:

The man himself has said the next leader after Corbyn needs to be a woman, which effectively rules him out unless some very sudden developments take place.

48 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's not going to be McDonnell :lol:

The man himself has said the next leader after Corbyn needs to be a woman, which effectively rules him out unless some very sudden developments take place.

Which in itself is ridiculous, halfing the potential candidates. Feels like it will be RLB by coronation. 

Labour is finished if she’s the next leader.

If it has to be a woman Emily Thornberry is the best of Corbyn’s allies. Yvette Cooper is the best candidate - male or female. I like Jess Philips too. 

Jess Phillips doesn't have enough vision for it. Not sure who does in fairness but she's very much the kind of pragmatist that the centrists would get behind.

So no help at all, judging by Swinson's performance.

Yvette Cooper I have heard good things about and I think she's smart and capable. Not sure she's radical enough but maybe she could be...

20 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Jess Phillips doesn't have enough vision for it. Not sure who does in fairness but she's very much the kind of pragmatist that the centrists would get behind.

So no help at all, judging by Swinson's performance.

Yvette Cooper I have heard good things about and I think she's smart and capable. Not sure she's radical enough but maybe she could be...

This country is so fucked. How do you think radical politics on either side can unite the country? The only thing that can do that is a form of, yes, pragmatic centrism. But through a butterfly effect of unforseen consequences on both the Tory and Labour sides the centre has been hollowed out, it doesn't exist any more.

Your mistake is thinking its because its not popular with the electorate. I maintain its not, its because its not available to the electorate. The LDs are largely irrelevant in this, with FPtP they just aren't viable, so don't tell me Swinsons lack of support is evidence people don't want moderates in power.

Most people this election are voting to try to stop the party they don't want getting in power. Think about it. Will any Corbynite ever be able to command a majority?

The world is burning, I'm not sure centrism is going to be enough.

On top of that, younger generations are seriously pissed off. Renting forever, retire at 75, no pension, probably no NHS, no freedom of movement, university debt. Is centrism going to fix all of that? Pandora's box is open. All centrism will do is find a compromise position between the far right and what used to be the actual centre.

It won't be enough.

Actually I just read that the pragmatic centrist option will exist after all. Farage will rebrand as the Reform Party, promising (right of) centre politics that appeals to ordinary people, changes he voting system and generally makes everything great.

So there's always him.