Politics

Christmas Tree

You Politicos might be able to tell me, Would now be a good time for the birth of a new, truly centrist party?Tories have shifted to their right, Labour will be considered far left (even after Corbyn goes, surely?) Lib Dems remain a joke, so would a new party be able to occupy that gaping hole between them?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

You Politicos might be able to tell me, Would now be a good time for the birth of a new, truly centrist party?Tories have shifted to their right, Labour will be considered far left (even after Corbyn goes, surely?) Lib Dems remain a joke, so would a new party be able to occupy that gaping hole between them?

Ask Chukka how that worked out. 

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Change UK didn’t fare so well.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

No.

Whatever the Blairites may think, there's a generation of young people who joined and became motivated in no small part due to Corbyn and his vision. As much as Renton hates that word, those guys aren't coming back to vote for bland centrist policies.

We're done for the next 10-15 years.

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Ask Chukka how that worked out. 

Just because fuck-ups fucked it up once, doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

If CT makes you dinner, it's not the recipe that's a bad idea, it's the fact you've asked a moron to do it.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

No.

Whatever the Blairites may think, there's a generation of young people who joined and became motivated in no small part due to Corbyn and his vision. As much as Renton hates that word, those guys aren't coming back to vote for bland centrist policies.

So, don't make them bland.

Also, those 18yr olds will be 23. Hopefully with jobs, and responsibilities. They might be more amenable to less radical proposals. And to be honest, in 5 yrs time what we consider middle of the road, may seem radical.

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 1

Just now, The Fish said:

So, don't make them bland.

What have centrists got in the bag as exciting as an overhaul of inequality, 4 day working weeks, and public spending to match European countries.

They've got nothing man. The centrists backed austerity even within Labour. The young people have lost the EU and they've lost the dream. Labour are not coming back from this.

The US needs to learn from this though. The democrats need to put up the most painfully centrist and status quo candidate possible, and then utterly terrify everyone on the left into voting for them. They can use the UK as a case study.

Because the same shit is going to happen there. Hope is not allowed, only fear.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

What have centrists got in the bag as exciting as an overhaul of inequality, 4 day working weeks, and public spending to match European countries.

They've got nothing man. The centrists backed austerity even within Labour. The young people have lost the EU and they've lost the dream. Labour are not coming back from this.

Ring fencing the NHS, Rolling back austerity, enforcing corporation tax laws, changing sentencing for hate crimes. None are extreme left propositions, or particularly exciting now, but wait a few years.

24 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

To be honest I think people might have still backed him if he'd even surrounded himself with a competent, strong team with clear goals. Instead he's foolishly stuck by the likes of the blundering Abbott etc. They don't fill anyone with confidence sadly. 

The main problem with Corbyn is he's never understood why he won the leadership vote in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, Meenzer said:

The main problem with Corbyn is he's never understood why he won the leadership vote in the first place.

Was it because of the Jews?

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Ring fencing the NHS, Rolling back austerity, enforcing corporation tax laws, changing sentencing for hate crimes. None are extreme left propositions, or particularly exciting now, but wait a few years.

Well you hang onto that optimism.

12 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Nice :) 

I’m off to live with @Andrew for a decade 

My spare room is going to be like a normal home in tory Britain with the number of people coming over to stay in it. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

No.

Are you shitting me, seriously? Ffs, look at the data, look at the evidence. 

You know what, I can't be arsed typing any more, I give up. You haven't learnt anything,  and I suspect never will. :(

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

My spare room is going to be like a normal home in tory Britain with the number of people coming over to stay in it. 

If it gets a bit crowded, just send them off on a nice day trip to… oooo… I dunno… the local volcano? 

:lol:

Just now, Renton said:

Are you shitting me, seriously? Ffs, look at the data, look at the evidence. 

You know what, I can't be arsed typing any more, I give up. You haven't learnt anything,  and I suspect never will. :(

I'm talking specifically about the young people. I agree that bland centrism is what the country is apparently desperate to lube itself up for, but i don't think Labour can just move over to the centre and clean up. The party will be torn apart here, and it'll be broadly young vs middle aged. That's my point.

We're fucked.

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm talking specifically about the young people. I agree that bland centrism is what the country is apparently desperate to lube itself up for, but i don't think Labour can just move over to the centre and clean up. The party will be torn apart here, and it'll be broadly young vs middle aged. That's my point.

We're fucked.

I love that you have to add pointless adjectives to make your point. Centralism is "bland" now apparently. Presumably then we all want no bland versions of governance? Well, well done. We've ended up with an extreme right wing government, led by Boris fucking Johnson.

Give me bland any day. Fuck your youth revolution that never materialises