Politics

Christmas Tree

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Southern shandy drinking la la. 

You, my dear old thing, may be interested to know that the NZ capital Wellington is sat there on the South Island and in my opinion is the greatest drinking city on the face of the planet :good:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

I love that you have to add pointless adjectives to make your point. Centralism is "bland" now apparently. Presumably then we all want no bland versions of governance? Well, well done. We've ended up with an extreme right wing government, led by Boris fucking Johnson.

Give me bland any day. Fuck your youth revolution that never materialises  

It may well have materialised, just in the wrong places. That's getting us to a point where the system is a bigger issue than the parties. We'll see though, I'm curious to see what Labour's demographics are exactly, but it seems clear that the working class north let us down, not the young people.

Also, this is why were fucked too. Momentum are not going to surrender the party:

Meaning that we will have schism in the left, again.

10-15 years of the Tories.

Just now, Renton said:

J69 and Tayvin were telt. They stick with Corbyn and the youth revolution. Now we're fucked. Cheers lads.

I'm off to bed. 

I voted him once and didn't the second time out. So it's not like I've done anything to "stick" with him, beyond continue to point out bullshit as and when needed. I've also criticised him plenty.

But blame me if you want, if it helps.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

It may well have materialised, just in the wrong places. That's getting us to a point where the system is a bigger issue than the parties. We'll see though, I'm curious to see what Labour's demographics are exactly, but it seems clear that the working class north let us down, not the young people.

Also, this is why were fucked too. Momentum are not going to surrender the party:

Meaning that we will have schism in the left, again.

10-15 years of the Tories.

Well that's just fucking great. 

I'm sure, or hope, we'll be on the same side next time. 

Just now, Renton said:

Well that's just fucking great. 

I'm sure, or hope, we'll be on the same side next time. 

I'm not taking a side next time. Ive just had enough, its all pointless. I'll vote for Scottish independence if that comes along. I'm well into apathy now.

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

J69 and Tayvin were telt. They stick with Corbyn and the youth revolution. Now we're fucked. Cheers lads.

I'm off to bed. 

:lol:
If you can manage the stairs and then find your bed I’ll be impressed. 

Going to make a casual point from the guardian's comment section which I think is a good demonstration of why we're fucked.

There are a roughly equal number of Labour leavers claiming Corbyn should have gone full Brexit, to Labour Remainers saying he should have gone full remain. That is a second schism. So you have the left vs centre one, and the Brexit vs Remain one.

Some claiming that Labour's strong 2017 showing has been wasted by pandering to Remainers instead of eliminating Brexit as the one advantage the Tories had, and others claiming that by not going Remain he lost out to the LDs.

My prediction is that Labour's actual vote tally won't be far off the Tories (certainly when combined with LDs who, thanks to tactical voting, we can assume to be the same cause). I further predict that the combined remain tally will exceed the Brexit tally, though I'm a bit less sure on it.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Looks like the Tories have taken Workington. Job done.

Is Mrs ewerk about as pleased with you posting on here as mines was when we were in Oz on the 24th June 2016?..tbf it was the current Mrs PLs birthday...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
If you can manage the stairs and then find your bed I’ll be impressed. 

I'm living in a flat at the moment, no stairs! Apologies to all concerned, I'm living my worst nightmare presently, not really dealing with it well. My immediate family will be fine. But my sister? No,, she won't be. Five more years of this will kill so many people, literally, and all hope for me personally. 

This is a nightmare result. 

• Like 2

Just now, Renton said:

I'm living in a flat at the moment, no stairs! Apologies to all concerned, I'm living my worst nightmare presently, not really dealing with it well. My immediate family will be fine. But my sister? No,, she won't be. Five more years of this will kill so many people, literally, and all hope for me personally. 

This is a nightmare result. 

Right there with you, believe it or not.

31 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Also looks like Farage was right. He's hurt Labour far more than the Tories.

Not really sure that one is Corbyn's fault tbh.

That a major political party got done by nigel "7 attempts, 7 losses" farage under his leadership? 

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

That a major political party got done by nigel "7 attempts, 7 losses" farage under his leadership? 

Kind of missing the point there.

No other Labour leader could have bridged that gap. That's why as I said earlier, the schism is opening up in Labour between leave and remain.

If it was just about Corbyn, why are they voting Brexit Party? Why not LD, or Green? The only reason anyone votes Brexit Party is for Brexit. So any of those votes, no centrist Labour leader could have won. Not Blair, not anyone. Not without moving to a position that tears the remain wing out of Labour.

On Brexit they were completely fucked it seems.

That said, the guardian seems to think Farage's overall impact has helped Labour so maybe I'm wrong. If it has, then we're back to Corbyn being the main issue. I think. Although again, hell of a jump from Labour to Tory just for Corbyn. Plenty of less radical options.

They aren't alone tbf to them.

Overall vote share so far, Remain parties still ahead. It's a meaningless and slim comfort, but I'll take it. Labour's vote share is decent so far, should go up when London gets involved properly too.