Politics

Christmas Tree

Mm, Corbyn was inevitable after this. Sounds like there'll be a transitioned departure though. Which means Momentum are staying in control.

I'm gonna add here that the combined vote tally of the SNP, Labour and LDs is 750k up on the Tories. Brexit Party cancelled out by Greens and Plaid.

If that pattern continues then we should be loud about it come the end.

That Remain voting pattern is holding up. Unless a large Tory swell comes in here, we're going to see a huge Brexit majority delivered against an overall majority share of the popular vote for Remain.

I don't see how anyone could have won this in a GE. The problem is that the issue everyone's arguing about wasn't originally agreed by FPTP constituency voting, it was done by an overall majority. And the campaign Remain has fought has been largely on the assumption that most people want back in. Which seems true but they're not in the right areas.

Which has ultimately shafted Labour. That doesn't make Corbyn a good leader, and it doesn't mean a centrist Remainer leading Labour couldn't have pulled over a few Tories. But it would have been an uphill fight to a very probably similar outcome IMO.

Edited by Rayvin

Honestly i'd be surprised if that exit poll turns out to be right. 150 seats to declare and Labour are on 172. So it's assuming that they only get 19 from the remaining 150. It's possible I guess, idk what the constituencies are, but i think they'll break 200.

Edit - Tories take back Kensington.

Edited by Rayvin

Remain now 1.5m ahead.

This is the story as far as I'm concerned. The fucking useless remain  parties failing to get any coherence together and criminally failing their voters.

They should have sucked it up before agreeing an election and killed off Brexit with a GNU.

Im aware I'm now talking to myself but its now 1.7m.

Tbf though I assume that basically all of the remaining seats must be safe Tory ones, so the Remain numbers will fall significantly I guess.

We lost Kensington because the LDs split the vote btw.

Edited by Rayvin

It honestly looks to me like the Brexit Party have hurt Labour more than the Tories, no matter what the guardian thinks.

Labour are 7% down on vote share, losing out 3.5% to LDs, and 2.1% to Brexit Party.

The latter damage was coming no matter who was in charge.

Have you stayed up all night, daft shite? I'm just up. Was hoping it was somehow a dud exit poll, but nope. 

I think there's definitely a chance that, depending which way this Labour leadership struggle goes, that the party splits and we end up with a much smaller left wing party and a comparatively bigger centrist one. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Have you stayed up all night, daft shite? I'm just up. Was hoping it was somehow a dud exit poll, but nope. 

I think there's definitely a chance that, depending which way this Labour leadership struggle goes, that the party splits and we end up with a much smaller left wing party and a comparatively bigger centrist one. 

Fingers crossed. 

The only hope for the next five years is that Johnson isn't as big a cunt as he's seemed for the last 6 months. We'll see. 

But I think if he isn't, and if they proceed with more austerity, that once they "get Brexit done" a lot of these new voters they've picked up will just desert them. 

Then it'll be down to the new Labour Left, Labour Centrist and Lib Dems to completely split the vote and let the Tories back in anyway. 

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

He can deliver every claim he made in the run up to the referendum now with this majority. 

He can. It's a question of whether that's really who he is. I genuinely don't think anyone knows - he's said whatever he needed to say to make himself PM. The big majority gives him some latitude if he is the bloke he claims to be. 

I couldn't sleep in the end. Found it cathartic to watch.

I think there's enough of an argument about Brexit to give Momentum a viable case to retain control of Labour. They will think they can win this without Brexit. And they're quite possibly right.

I'd be really interested to see good evidence of Labour failing simply because they were too left wing. Their policies polled well, even Watson has admitted that.

Corbyn has been a liability for sure but again, no centrist was winning this fight from the position Labour was in. How could anyone solve the leave/remain split within the party?

It's a shame but the actual vote tallies make me more forgiving of the result. We got played in the end. Never should have agreed to the election.

Edited by Rayvin

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I couldn't sleep in the end. Found it cathartic to watch.

I think there's enough of an argument about Brexit to give Momentum a viable case to retain control of Labour. They will think they can win this without Brexit. And they're quite possibly right.

I'd be really interested to see good evidence of Labour failing simply because they were too left wing. Their policies polled well, even Watson has admitted that.

Corbyn has been a liability for sure but again, no centrist was winning this fight from the position Labour was in. How could anyone solve the leave/remain split within the party?

It's a shame but the actual vote tallies make me more forgiving if the result. We got played in the end. Never should be e agreed to the election.

Nick Boles was on twitter yesterday blaming Swinson for giving Johnson an election. I dunno though, if they hadn't given him the election, his deal was gonna get through parliament anyway, albeit on an amended basis. 

The problem with Labour continuing as set up is who they pick as leader. All of the more impressive people in the party are towards the centre. If we get a Momentum choice as leader (RLB for instance), I just don't think they will convince the electorate. I mean can you imagine Dawn Butler as Deputy Leader ffs?

If Labour stay left then Johnson just needs to haul the Tories convincingly back towards the centre, and he'll win again next time. 

Aye but Strugeon knows Scotland is gone now. This isnt just a mandate for another referendum, its a 'come and get me' from the voters.

At which point, incidentally, you will need a centrist Labour Party. Although to win power, that party will end up looking more like Cameron's Tories.