Politics

Christmas Tree

I suppose we'll have to see who's left in Labour at the end of this as well. I know that little cunt Snell lost his seat though. Turns out if you pretend to be a Tory, people will just vote for the actual Tory instead. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

Nick Boles was on twitter yesterday blaming Swinson for giving Johnson an election. I dunno though, if they hadn't given him the election, his deal was gonna get through parliament anyway, albeit on an amended basis. 

The problem with Labour continuing as set up is who they pick as leader. All of the more impressive people in the party are towards the centre. If we get a Momentum choice as leader (RLB for instance), I just don't think they will convince the electorate. I mean can you imagine Dawn Butler as Deputy Leader ffs?

If Labour stay left then Johnson just needs to haul the Tories convincingly back towards the centre, and he'll win again next time. 

They could have removed Johnson and set up a GNU. Admittedly Corbyn would have needed to fuck off to bring the rebel Tories on side, but on balance I think it would have been the best outcome.

Agree with the point on Labour but they aren't going to pick a centrist. I keep thinking Yvette Cooper would be the one to go for if we could, but it isn't going to happen. Already the Blairites and Corbynites are turning on each other. They'll split, I'm almost certain.

Agree on the last point too, it's almost certainly what will happen. Though technically that space has been available for 4 years now and the Tories haven't stepped into it so far.

Sky have just stuck a graph up plotting seats vs the age of the electorate in that seat, and the Tories still have a massive problem with young voters. So if Momentum sticks around, Labour might win a majority in 2040 or so. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

Sky have just stuck a graph up plotting seats vs the age of the electorate in that seat, and the Tories still have a massive problem with young voters. So if Momentum sticks around, Labour might win a majority in 2040 or so. 

I really think youth turnout will plummet after this one. Done everything they should have and were still let down.

Why bother.

• Like 1

Ok so we're at roughly 1.4m remain voters more than leave.

I feel like it's worth people making a fuss about that in some form, try to pressure Johnson to get a less mental deal. Unlikely but worth trying.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

They could have removed Johnson and set up a GNU. Admittedly Corbyn would have needed to fuck off to bring the rebel Tories on side, but on balance I think it would have been the best outcome.

Agree with the point on Labour but they aren't going to pick a centrist. I keep thinking Yvette Cooper would be the one to go for if we could, but it isn't going to happen. Already the Blairites and Corbynites are turning on each other. They'll split, I'm almost certain.

Agree on the last point too, it's almost certainly what will happen. Though technically that space has been available for 4 years now and the Tories haven't stepped into it so far.

As I did last time, I've got carried away watching Corbyn in the last few days of the campaign, and it's easy to be won over by the enthusiasm of all the young people (and I have been), but Labour should have read the tea leaves on this and got rid of him. Especially when there was the chance of a GNU. They fucked it, the Lib Dems fucked it, and here we are. 

Unfortunately I don't see Labour having the wherewithal to sort this out. 

Ugh, Parliament next week is going to be a braying, crowing, triumphalist Tory mess. 

3 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Well it has been nice being in the union with you but we’re afraid the time has come for us to leave. Sorry it’s not us it’s you.

Of all the things I wasn't looking forward to this morning the gleeful ramblings of a smug plastic jock was quite low on the list to the point of I wasn't really expecting it. So thanks for that :cuppa:

• Haha 2

But the SNP aren’t getting a referendum and I don’t see the likes of Spain letting them in the EU if they try and leave without the constitutional and legal framework being agreed for obvious reasons. 

• Like 2

getting on a bit now so have witnessed more than my fair share of tory victories.

regardless, the feeling of utter empty depression and complete bewilderment that so many of my own 'class' of people can be taken in by these cunts never lessens.

fucking shambles and will have no sympathy for those who are about to have their arses well and truly riven. 

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Rayvin said:

The US needs to learn from this though. The democrats need to put up the most painfully centrist and status quo candidate possible, and then utterly terrify everyone on the left into voting for them. They can use the UK as a case study.

Because the same shit is going to happen there. Hope is not allowed, only fear.

We are a conservative country by nature. If one of Corbyn’s disciples replaces him, brace for a another decade of Tory rule 

Edited by Dr Gloom

2 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

getting on a bit now so have witnessed more than my fair share of tory victories.

regardless, the feeling of utter empty depression and complete bewilderment that so many of my own 'class' of people can be taken in by these cunts never lessens.

fucking shambles and will have no sympathy for those who about to have their arses well and truly riven. 

Durham Miner's Gala for the next 5 years held in a Tory held constituency beggars belief 

• Sad 2

Honestly I feel a bit relieved by the fact he won a big majority. If he'd won a slim one I would have felt compelled to live out all of the votes and all of the plotting over the next few months. Now that he can do what he likes I feel like I can just completely check out from it all and just let the cunts have their way. There won't be any close votes to get fretful over. 

The amount of time and energy that all of us have wasted on this the past few years man. Fuck that from now on. 

• Like 2