Politics

Christmas Tree

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I watched that last night. The postie fuckin eviscerated the cunt who’s never done a days graft in his life :lol:

Labour have lost the last four elections. 3 different leaders, all very different. I know which direction they should go in now but I doubt that they will. I think it’s 1979 all over again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Look at the state of that table. Every box bar one said the thing that worries them most about Labour is the thought of Corbyn as PM. 

Just noticed that even the Labour Remainers had Corbyn as PM as their third biggest concern. :lol:

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s actually good for me from a career point of view. The lass’ brother, who works at Nissan, will be attempting to troll me. I mean, ffs. 

Same, I’m going to be much better off personally than I would have been under Corbyn. I feel sorry for my kids and the working classes who tacitly support the ruling class.

The class system is alive and kicking in this country. The poorest think an old Etonian toff deserves to rule.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Same, I’m going to be much better off personally than I would have been under Corbyn. I feel sorry for my kids and the working classes who tacitly support the ruling class.

The class system is alive and kicking in this country. The poorest think an old Etonian toff deserves to rule.

Aye same. I'm in a slightly precarious position jobs wise which would have been made significantly more precarious (and possibly terminal) by a non-Tory win. 

Imagine a disabled or homeless person working up today to this resounding endorsement of their plight. Must be absolutely crushing. 

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's a decade of Tory rule, either way. I'm amazed this isn't obvious tbh. The schism is going to end Labour for a generation, no matter who wins it.

Read something suggesting Labour will need a Kinnock to prepare the way for a  Blair - place on the spectrum aside, that sort of makes sense. 

I'm old enough to remember 83 and 87 - I think we just need a little faith that a recovery is possible - death knells considering the number of votes cast are a bit premature and I don't think there's an overwhelming desire for total centrism. 

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Does anyone reckon the Tories might just be right? Save yourself the heartache, fuck everyone else and worry about yourself only? I mean idk what the point in anything else is now.

Upbringing and a conscience is a bastard sometimes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye same. I'm in a slightly precarious position jobs wise which would have been made significantly more precarious (and possibly terminal) by a non-Tory win. 

Imagine a disabled or homeless person working up today to this resounding endorsement of their plight. Must be absolutely crushing. 

That's what makes me angry & sad.

I am from a working class background and grew up on a council estate.  I still have friends and family on that estate.  I have grafted hard to be where I am now and had to make some sacrifices for it.  But I will never be ashamed or forget where I am from.  Some of my mates are on minimum wage and scrape by just to feed their kids.  It's them who will suffer.  My old man is registered disabled and struggles with just getting the morning paper.  His neighbour is still on coal fire and doesnt have central heating.  Every time I go see my old man I pop in to see him.  Have a chat and a laugh and his house this time of year is freezing.  I always take him a bag of stuff for him.

The country is fucked, bunch of self centred cunts.

Do some people vote for them shithouses because that's where they wish they were in the social ladder?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NJS said:

Read something suggesting Labour will need a Kinnock to prepare the way for a  Blair - place on the spectrum aside, that sort of makes sense. 

I'm old enough to remember 83 and 87 - I think we just need a little faith that a recovery is possible - death knells considering the number of votes cast are a bit premature and I don't think there's an overwhelming desire for total centrism. 

I agree with you, there really is very little evidence that centrism is what is needed. Maybe someone younger with a less checkered past though.

But the schism is going to produce a centrist party anyway.

I got into politics in my early 20s, more than a quarter of a century ago. First in Durham, then Tynemouth. At that stage Tynemouth had always been blue, but we turned it red, and even after last night it is still red. Proud of doing my tiny little bit, but that's it for me now, I've had enough.

This was all so predictable under Corbyn. I didn't want to believe it myself, I don't think any of us did, but here we are and it's time to face reality. I feel for @Tom. Unlike the rest of us, he got off his arse and tried to change things for the better. This result is much, much worse than anything I've had to deal with. The truth is Labour need a revolution on akin to the early 90s. It's got to grab the centre ground, and it's got to get itself a moderate leader with charisma. Hand on heart I don't see it happening and I really fear for the future.

My eldest will be a teenager come next election. Time flies. I just hope that by the time she can vote, there's  something worth voting for. In the meantime,  I know I have to deal with my feelings of hatred Johnson gives me. It's not healthy. So for me, politics is dead, there are more important things. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Fun times. 

We should march on Blyth first- we need to start the war with a morale boost and the fatties and smack heads will be a walkover. 
After that, we’ll hold two ports, and need to head west, take Hexham and maybe have a little bit war crime against the posh cunts, then push on to the West Coast. If we surround Workington and cut off the supply of frozen chips and kebab meat, we can starve the turncoats out within days. That’ll give us a solid East to West block, ports on both sides, and numbers. 
Then the push South in to Racist Yorkshire…

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Does anyone reckon the Tories might just be right? Save yourself the heartache, fuck everyone else and worry about yourself only? I mean idk what the point in anything else is now.

The nihilism party night get my vote next time 

8 minutes ago, NJS said:

You and me are never going to agree. :(

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I agree with you, there really is very little evidence that centrism is what is needed. Maybe someone younger with a less checkered past though.

But the schism is going to produce a centrist party anyway.

Or me and you. 

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

SNP for me I guess. Suppose I should start looking into their post independence policies.

Well, you've shat the bed in enabling Corbyn, and now are fucking off to Scotland so you don't have to lie in it. Cheers. 

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Do some people vote for them shithouses because that's where they wish they were in the social ladder?

100% yes.

See also their fury over top earners being taxed more even though they're never going to be top earners.

• Like 2

Just now, Renton said:

Or me and you. 

If centrism was going to win big, the Lib Dems wouldn't have been obliterated last night either. This was either all about Brexit, or they fucked up too.

Look man, the country isn't the same anymore. It has polarised indeed, and I'm really not sure the pool of voters left in the middle is all that big. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is, but the pool of voters on the solid left isn't small. How is Labour going to bring those two sides together again now?

And believe it or not I mostly consider myself a centrist. The vast majority of what I've said on here over the years has been based on my reading of the situation, not personal preference.

Labour's "radical left wing" policies poll well. How can that be a positive sign for a return to centrism?

2 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Well it has been nice being in the union with you but we’re afraid the time has come for us to leave. Sorry it’s not us it’s you.

The only thing you’re going to be leaving anytime soon is the EU. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well, you've shat the bed in enabling Corbyn, and now are fucking off to Scotland so you don't have to lie in it. Cheers. 

Fuck off mate, seriously. I've been up all night worrying about this and the last thing I need is someone pretending that a vote I cast 4 years ago has led us inevitably to this point.

Such an inevitable point, I might add, that it somehow didn't happen in 2017.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Such an inevitable point, I might add, that it somehow didn't happen in 2017.

Mind, I was thinking one thing this result really does is highlight just how useless Theresa May was.

• Like 2