Politics

Christmas Tree

12 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

We should march on Blyth first- we need to start the war with a morale boost and the fatties and smack heads will be a walkover. 
After that, we’ll hold two ports, and need to head west, take Hexham and maybe have a little bit war crime against the posh cunts, then push on to the West Coast. If we surround Workington and cut off the supply of frozen chips and kebab meat, we can starve the turncoats out within days. That’ll give us a solid East to West block, ports on both sides, and numbers. 
Then the push South in to Racist Yorkshire…

The London liberal elite, armed to the teeth with sharpened carrots, will join your worthy cause, comrade. Marching on bellies full of quinoa, falafel and English tapas, we will reclaim Kensington and advance into the Home Counties.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Meenzer said:

Mind, I was thinking one thing this result really does is highlight just how useless Theresa May was.

Or it highlights that Labour's position of being pro-Brexit in 2017 and being anti-Brexit in 2019, has killed them.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Picking out individuals on a message board and blaming them for this, even if they're called Christmas Tree, is fucking daft like. 

Everybody needs to try and be as sexy as me.

Doesn't matter I guess, people need to vent so whatever. I'll just steer clear for a bit. Not in the best of moods myself anyway.

Just now, Alex said:

I’m almost over it tbh. Sad but not even angry any more. Resigned to the majority of people being stupid 

I'm angry as well as sad, but at some point you do just have to stand back and say "OK, if that's what you really want then be my guest", aye.

If only I had any confidence in people being able (or willing) to draw the right conclusions from the consequences of their actions. :suicide: 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Doesn't matter I guess, people need to vent so whatever. I'll just steer clear for a bit. Not in the best of moods myself anyway.

You should get yourself to bed. This will look marginally less dystopian after a few hour's sleep. ;)

I would just check out of all of this political nonsense for a bit. If you're in Scotland now, drive to the fucking Highlands or something. We tie ourselves up in knots over this stuff but it mostly just doesn't really matter. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Renton said:

I got into politics in my early 20s, more than a quarter of a century ago. First in Durham, then Tynemouth. At that stage Tynemouth had always been blue, but we turned it red, and even after last night it is still red. Proud of doing my tiny little bit, but that's it for me now, I've had enough.

This was all so predictable under Corbyn. I didn't want to believe it myself, I don't think any of us did, but here we are and it's time to face reality. I feel for @Tom. Unlike the rest of us, he got off his arse and tried to change things for the better. This result is much, much worse than anything I've had to deal with. The truth is Labour need a revolution on akin to the early 90s. It's got to grab the centre ground, and it's got to get itself a moderate leader with charisma. Hand on heart I don't see it happening and I really fear for the future.

My eldest will be a teenager come next election. Time flies. I just hope that by the time she can vote, there's  something worth voting for. In the meantime,  I know I have to deal with my feelings of hatred Johnson gives me. It's not healthy. So for me, politics is dead, there are more important things. 

i'm a decade older than yourself mate, sadly it's not that simple, i wish it was.

you'll still feel the same utter depression at a tory victory till the end of your days.

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Fuck off mate, seriously. I've been up all night worrying about this and the last thing I need is someone pretending that a vote I cast 4 years ago has led us inevitably to this point.

Such an inevitable point, I might add, that it somehow didn't happen in 2017.

I still give my wife grief for voting for the wrong Milliband. The butterfly effect kind of started from there.

You're clearly a good bloke whose heart is in the right place, I just think you're a bit naive. Keep Scotland warm for me, I may well retire there. 

18 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

100% yes.

See also their fury over top earners being taxed more even though they're never going to be top earners.

Spot on there mind.  A lass at work was off a few months with a broken ankle that needed surgery and says she's all for a US style health system, as her fella is self employed and earns a good wedge.

In the US her op would have cost anywhere from $10K-20K if she didn't have good health insurance, cost fuck all on the NHS though.  But they're doing OK, so you know, fuck everyone else if they can save a few quid in taxes (which they probably wont).

I'm Alright Jack always wins the day <_<

• Like 3

One of my closest friends is Labour through and through and loves his politics.  He is 12 years older than me so grew up through the hard Thatcher years in Bradford.

I called him this morning just to make sure the mad bastard hadnt hung himself.  

Genuinely though, I've spent the last 2 or 3 years following this shit daily, agonising over what impact every single decision, quote or vote might have. Getting annoyed with people saying stuff in the HoC, staring at my phone when my lass is trying to talk to me, etc. Wondering what effect everything that happened in the election campaign would have on the result. 

And it's all totally pointless, has zero bearing on the outcome, and is a really unhealthy and stressful way to spend your time. Fucking hoping that some arsehole in Workington will see things the same way I do ffs. 

So I can spend the next five years doing the same with every move the Labour Party makes, wondering whether it was right or wrong, getting annoyed about stuff, trying to project onto the electorate what they'll think about this, that or the other. Or I can just check out, do other stuff, and vote the right way when the time comes. 

So aye, I'll probably be watching Parliament Live on Monday. ^_^

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sonatine said:

Spot on there mind.  A lass at work was off a few months with a broken ankle that needed surgery and says she's all for a US style health system, as her fella is self employed and earns a good wedge.

In the US her op would have cost anywhere from $10K-20K if she didn't have good health insurance, cost fuck all on the NHS though.  But they're doing OK, so you know, fuck everyone else if they can save a few quid in taxes (which they probably wont).

I'm Alright Jack always wins the day <_<

I saw a documentry about the crash in the US.

A bloke had worked for local government all of his adult working life.  With that he got health care.  He was made redundant.  He couldnt afford health care after he got made redundant as he was working in a low paid job.  He then found out he got prostate cancer.  Couldn't pay for the care, so ended up robbing the store he worked at, at gun point so he would get jail time to then get care.

It's fine having this alright jack attitude, but nobody knows whats around the corner for anyone.

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

I still give my wife grief for voting for the wrong Milliband. The butterfly effect kind of started from there.

You're clearly a good bloke whose heart is in the right place, I just think you're a bit naive. Keep Scotland warm for me, I may well retire there. 

The jocks won't want you. Too dour. 

• Haha 2

Just now, wykikitoon said:

A bloke had worked for local government all of his adult working life.  With that he got health care.  He was made redundant.  He couldnt afford health care after he got made redundant as he was working in a low paid job.  He then found out he got prostate cancer.  Couldn't pay for the care, so ended up robbing the store he worked at, at gun point so he would get jail time to then get care.

It's fine having this alright jack attitude, but nobody knows whats around the corner for anyone.

Totally agree, and when it does hit them they just cry about how unfair the system they vote for is.  Stupid cunts

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I think I saw that. Was his nickname 'Lucky'? 

16 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You should get yourself to bed. This will look marginally less dystopian after a few hour's sleep. ;)

I would just check out of all of this political nonsense for a bit. If you're in Scotland now, drive to the fucking Highlands or something. We tie ourselves up in knots over this stuff but it mostly just doesn't really matter. 

Great post. I need to get myself away too. 

38 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

SNP for me I guess. Suppose I should start looking into their post independence policies.

Pretty much left of centre. Because they operate in a proportional representation government there has to be deal making to get anything done. So ideology first manifestos don’t work.

• Like 1

This will embolden them to get some truly depressing legislation through if you're unlucky enough to lose your job or be disabled to name just two vulnerable groups. Expecting the DWP to come after missus again tbh. Anyway, at least we can get Brexit done. That'll be a massive comfort for us. :yahoo:

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

This will embolden them to get some truly depressing legislation through if you're unlucky enough to lose your job or be disabled to name just two vulnerable groups. Expecting the DWP to come after missus again tbh. Anyway, at least we can get Brexit done. That'll be a massive comfort for us. :yahoo:

or god forbid your life becomes involved with the justice system, be it as a defendant or a victim.

• Like 3