Politics

Christmas Tree

6 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Not sure that PR is the answer, because it can result in smaller single agenda "parties" carrying huge sway.  In fact, it is more likely to get someone like Farage calling the shots, because you need to do a deal with him to get your legislation over the line, because you no longer hold a majority.  It seems to give much more power to those on the far right or far left.  

As it stands, when Scotland becomes independent under the current system, we lose about 50 progressive seats. We would have Tory governments for the rest of time despite the fact that most of the population would be voting against it.

I don't care if Farage gets to become a bit more powerful because in the end, none of the other parties will agree to his more radical desires. The point will be thay Labour and the Tories will need to occasionally work together.

Remainiacs post election episode is worth a listen. If for nothing else, then just for the woman from Best For Britain talking about the conversations she had with the leadership of Labour and the Lib Dems about the data delivering a really dire message. All of which was ignored, naturally. 

• Like 1

It was Swinson and the SNP who ignored it. I guess the latter got what they wanted, but Swinson delusionally thought she could get 100 seats.

I obviously now understand why Labour wasn't keen. I've read a few leave voters (better educated ones) saying that the Tories were fucked until we gave them a lifeline. That Swinson should have sucked it up and agreed to have Corbyn as the figurehead for a GNU instead of throwing her toys out of the pram. And tbh they're right. This was Remain throwing away victory more than the Tories stealing it.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1

Radio 4 this morning Andy McDonald really sucked it to them regarding their conduct during the election and they didnt like it.  He criticised Cuntsberg.  Apparently she said that Johnson has won a well deserved victory.  How the fuck is that impartial?

Apparently McDonald said posters were being distributed in some constituencies that compared JC to a peado!

35 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Radio 4 this morning Andy McDonald really sucked it to them regarding their conduct during the election and they didnt like it.  He criticised Cuntsberg.  Apparently she said that Johnson has won a well deserved victory.  How the fuck is that impartial?

Apparently McDonald said posters were being distributed in some constituencies that compared JC to a peado!

It wasn’t LK who said that but another BBC reporter did. Unless she said it after the election. Anyone with any degree of analytical ability knows what she’s like anyway though. Even going back to 2015, Paxman asked Miliband questions he would never have asked Cameron. At the same election looking awkward eating a bacon sandwich was enough for many to consider ‘Red Ed’ unsuitable for leadership so it shouldn’t really come as a surprise that people are easily taken in 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

LDs pretty consistent there.

This is going to be the balancing act - how to keep the urban younglings engaged while speaking to selfish old cunts.

Fyp

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

LDs pretty consistent there.

This is going to be the balancing act - how to keep the urban younglings engaged while speaking to working class England.

Unfortunately I've read a couple of things which suggest Renton is right (shock horror I know) about shite like saluting the flag and a willingness to incinerate millions of people for no logical reason whatsoever (I think Ewerk said this as well). 

The same mentality had a big effect on the actual brexit ref as well - this idea of know-towing to the monarchy/empire and a nostalgia for olden (more white) years where Britain was more important. 

It's a hard one for the people trying to persuade them as the underlying xenophobia is the opposite of what Labour should be and is all about to the youth. 

Of course Blair played that game but Milliband certainly tried and seemed to fail the same doorstep test to a lesser degree than Corbyn. I think we do need someone who can play that role unflinchingly to counteract the media assassination - of the mooted candidates and can only really say Starmer succeeding. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

For all the bbc’s alleged pro conservative bias, it’s the Tories that are now trying to do it down. Why would they try to do that to their mouthpiece?

Not mouthpiece, just bias.

And they're threatening it so far, not actually doing it. Also, if i was a right wing Tory government intent on various outlandish right wing shit, I would force the Overton window to expand whether it was already favourable or not.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Not mouthpiece, just bias.

And they're threatening it so far, not actually doing it. Also, if i was a right wing Tory government intent on various outlandish right wing shit, I would force the Overton window to expand whether it was already favourable or not.

Read the piece by Huw. He makes it sound exactly as people I know who work there tell me 

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Senior reporters and editors there don’t have to look over their shoulder, fearful of a Murdoch type setting the agenda 

No one is claiming that. I don't think I've seen anyone state the the BBC is issuing instructions from on high. The problem is individual reporters who have a clear and apparent bias because they may or may not be sleeping with Boris Johnson.

Also, I keep seeing people say "the BBC is far from perfect but..." And it's now coming over in the same way as "I'm not racist but..." because there is never any acknowledgement of where the BBC does fail. It's just a cursory remark they throw out there as a catch all for criticism.

The reality is that if there isn't bias, there has been staggering incompetence which should absolutely see the lead political editor sacked amongst others in the interest of maintaining public trust. As any other organisation would probably do after that shitshow.

So again, why isn't that happening? So my message to the BBC - if you want to trust, acknowledge your fuck ups and the implications of them, take remedial actions with the staff involved, and commit to a far higher standard going forward.

If you aren't prepared to do that then just fuck off with these articles.

Sorry mate but seriously, it's not excusable.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 2

I'm sure Edwards thinks that, but there's still no believable explanation of the cenotaph/laughter episodes in my view. 

That's before considering the punch thing - admittedly that wasn't BBC alone but it came from the same area - "correspondents" happily acting as conduits for Cummings' lies. 

Edited by NJS
  • Like 1

Also this argument that these criticisms are only happening because we're all in our bubbles. No. I read the Mail, the Sun, the Telegraph in the run up to that election. I'm not in a fucking bubble and I still think they're a shambles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rayvin said:

It was Swinson and the SNP who ignored it. I guess the latter got what they wanted, but Swinson delusionally thought she could get 100 seats.

I obviously now understand why Labour wasn't keen. I've read a few leave voters (better educated ones) saying that the Tories were fucked until we gave them a lifeline. That Swinson should have sucked it up and agreed to have Corbyn as the figurehead for a GNU instead of throwing her toys out of the pram. And tbh they're right. This was Remain throwing away victory more than the Tories stealing it.

What colour is the sky on your planet?  You really need to stop over thinking it.  The public overwhelmingly rejected Corbyn and the remain turncoats are almost all on the political scrapheap, timing was irrelevant.  Shoe horning Corbyn into power would only ever have been temporary, and may have lead to the Brexit party holding some form of power.

Hopefully the lesson will be learnt and Labour will return to centre ground by appoint someone who is actually electable - like Stephen Kinock.  Unfortunately I fear the rot will be there for years to come and another daft appointment is on the horizon - like Keir Starmer.

• Haha 1