Politics

Christmas Tree

5 minutes ago, NJS said:

I love the idea that a leader has to be "one of our own" and not middle class elite - like Tony Blair?

Yeah, I think it's an overreaction tbh. We need whoever is best placed to pummel Johnson, not another populist.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

I'm genuinely unsure we can repair this faultline between the northern working classes and the urbanite educated.

And I see no Labour leader capable of speaking to the former from the people considering running.

Which makes me think we may as well just go for the smartest person in the room.

The longer you refer to working class as uneducated , the longer the “fault line” will stay. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rayvin said:

Yeah, I think it's an overreaction tbh. We need whoever is best placed to pummel Johnson, not another populist.

As things stand right now, Starmer is the only viable option, with someone like Rayner or Bridget as Deputy. 

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

The longer you refer to working class as uneducated , the longer the “fault line” will stay. 

I didn't specifically say that tbh. I'm just making a general observation that the educated urbanites seem to vote our way. The problem seems to be more urban vs rural/towns than educated vs uneducated.

Having said that, if these people are voting for their futures based on whether someone like me thinks they're educated or not they're beyond help. I've seen so many people saying "ha, that's what you get for insulting leave voters" and all that tells me is that leave voters are so immature that they're prepared to vote stupidly, ignore all reason, just because someone said something mean about them. I don't believe for a second they're that childish.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I didn't specifically say that tbh. I'm just making a general observation that the educated urbanites seem to vote our way. The problem seems to be more urban vs rural/towns than educated vs uneducated.

Having said that, if these people are voting for their futures based on whether someone like me thinks they're educated or not they're beyond help. I've seen so many people saying "ha, that's what you get for insulting leave voters" and all that tells me is that leave voters are so immature that they're prepared to vote stupidly, ignore all reason, just because someone said something mean about them. I don't believe for a second they're that childish.

“ these people” :lol:

Alreet there Enoch. 

"these people" in this context meaning - people who vote based on what other people think of them :lol:

And I don't really believe it's a group populated by many people at all..

Also, quick reality check - if someone is uneducated, are we saying it's now not ok to state this fact, and we have to use a term like... educationally deviant? Or maybe 'people who chose non-academic proficiencies and achievements'?

The value of a human being has nothing to do with their level of educational attainment as we can see from the Tory party, but the level of educational achievement an individual has directly influences their ability to smoke out bullshit. So how should I refer to people who can't smoke it out, in future?

EDIT - tbh, maybe it would be better to refer to intelligence rather than educated, as I've met some moronic educated people. But calling people unintelligent seems factually wrong and unfair...

Edited by Rayvin

Actually, I'm not happy with anything I just wrote in that post so I'm just going to scale back on the use of education as a metric for people's voting for now. There are too many other parameters mixed up in there.

I suspect I might actually mean 'informed' rather than 'educated'.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Actually, I'm not happy with anything I just wrote in that post so I'm just going to scale back on the use of education as a metric for people's voting for now. There are too many other parameters mixed up in there.

I suspect I might actually mean 'informed' rather than 'educated'.

They’re just too thick to be informed, eh?

12 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

I am pretty sure that Corbyn is an anti-globalist, but didn't want to say so, as with Brexit.  From outside looking in, that was what made him unelectable.  

Whether he wanted to be elected is another matter, but no politician will willingly walk away from the kudos (and possibly the pay packet) which goes with being PM or leader of the opposition.  Perhaps the stupidity came from those who blindly supported him when they should have pulled the plug.  

Anyway, I am 59 and live in Australia, so what do I know :) 

PS Even at that great age, I would not have voted for Brexit

Decent post that, the bandwagon that was Corbynism fucked Labour in the end.

53 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

In what sense? 

Who's your pick for leader btw? Rayner isn't running so don't say her cos I know you fancy her. 

he's always had a weird thing for gingers