Politics

Christmas Tree

SECRETARY of State Julian Smith has met representatives of loyalist paramilitary groups to discuss the Brexit withdrawal agreement and legacy arrangements.

He hosted a reception for leading figures including representatives of political and community organisations linked to the UDA, UVF and Red Hand Commando.

The meeting at the secretary of state’s official residence at Hillsborough shortly after Christmas – prior to the murder of Glen Quinn in Carrickfergus – was attended by around a dozen leading loyalists. The main issues raised are believed to have been loyalist concerns at British prime minister Boris Johnson’s Brexit withdrawal agreement which potentially places a border in the Irish Sea. Troubles prosecutions and loyalist concerns at what they claim is a one-sided legacy process were also raised.

But aye, Corbyn once met Gerry Adams.

32 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'll take "tory-lite" any day over a labour-heavy party, stuck forever in opposition 

I've been thinking about this...would Starmer or Cooper etc get into bed with the US over something like a military campign in Iran?... 

Edited by PaddockLad

Just now, Rayvin said:

Brexit weakness might force their hand but under normal (non Brexit) circumstances I think they'd say no.

Blair was powerful in 2003. He had a decent majority. They all still voted for war in Iraq. Which I think we can all agree was a massive mistake.  I like Starmer & Cooper but..

Someone will need to pin them down on that. I don't think we're about to enter a major "boots on the ground' excercise in Iran but if Trump asks Johnson for UK support in drone strikes,  RAF bombing raids or naval support then it's odds on that it will happen. That will endanger us all, on what seems to me to be a distraction excercise in am election year. 

Miliband pushed to prevent our entry into Syria. I think Labour have learned. Plus Trump and the US are no longer natural allies for Labour, who will continue to look towards Europe IMO.

As for Johnson, I agree. He'll take us to war.

Can Labour continue to get away with not having a female leader? I mean it's possibly getting embarrassing now.

I've seen commentators on the right making the claim that Labour's commitment to positive discrimination and female shortlist has put them in a position where they have many female MPs but few actually talented ones.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

She speaks well for someone from Gateshead. She should be doing more than sitting on the back benches.

The articles she has written in the guardian from time to time have been decent.

Edited by Rayvin

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Blair was powerful in 2003. He had a decent majority. They all still voted for war in Iraq. Which I think we can all agree was a massive mistake.  I like Starmer & Cooper but..

I’d like to think not but then I didn’t think Blair would either 

41 minutes ago, ewerk said:

She speaks well for someone from Gateshead. She should be doing more than sitting on the back benches.

She’s from Washington. They all speak posh, Dr Gloom for example 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Can Labour continue to get away with not having a female leader? I mean it's possibly getting embarrassing now.

The idea we should have a token female leader instead of the right one is what’s embarrassing.

Anyone else but Kier Starmer is a waste of time for me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

The idea we should have a token female leader instead of the right one is what’s embarrassing.

Are the membership who fully supported Corbyn wandering down that road too Tom? 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I agree but Lewis is talking a lot of sense as well. 

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Are the membership who fully supported Corbyn wandering down that road too Tom? 

I can’t determine that at the moment. A lot of moved towards Long-Bailey, who I like but is far too close to Corbyn for me.

Starmer is left too & not at all a centrist. So guess what people are calling him.... :lol: 

57 minutes ago, Tom said:

I agree, but the SJW left will not.

Although I still don't see what would be wrong with Cooper other than that no one likes her for reasons that aren't immediately clear.