Politics

Christmas Tree

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you can't moan on here if you don't. 

i can only imagine loads of tories will be joining up to vote for RLB and keep labour out of power for another decade

Aye fair enough. I've attempted to register. I joined another party after leaving Labour so they may deny me.

Yeah tbf, if you really care about any of this you need to sign up and vote for someone other than RLB. Gloom is right, no point bitching on in here if you don't. If you don't, you'll be to blame for the next 10 years of Tory rule /Renton.

I don't think her victory is a formality, it looked to me like she wins the first round and Starmer wins the second.

I'll vote Starmer in the end probably but could also go for Nandy.

Edited by Rayvin

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you can't moan on here if you don't. 

i can only imagine loads of tories will be joining up to vote for RLB and keep labour out of power for another decade

So you spend £25 to register to cancel out a tory, and if RBL gets in I can't complain about it if I dont waste my money in this way? Erm, yes I can. It's a fucking ludicrous state of affairs Labour has got itself into. I'll rejoin only once they become the party that represents me thanks, which looks like never atm. 

Sounds like an excuse to me too, I cant see masses of tories doing this. No, it's more likely many labour interlopers are just thick as pig shit. 

Just now, Renton said:

So you spend £25 to register to cancel out a tory, and if RBL gets in I can't complain about it if I dont waste my money in this way? Erm, yes I can. It's a fucking ludicrous state of affairs Labour has got itself into. I'll rejoin only once they become the party that represents me thanks, which looks like never atm. 

Sounds like an excuse to me too, I cant see masses of tories doing this. No, it's more likely many labour interlopers are just thick as pig shit. 

well, there's that too. 

but they can be your party if you rejoin and try to shape its future. 

i'm binning membership if RLB wins, trust me

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

What does the party that represents you look like then? I bet it's not a million miles off where most of the candidates are standing politically.

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

alright then - who is your top3?

It's not rocket science. You go for the person who can defeat the tories. The person they fear most. That person is clearly Starmer. I'm utterly perplexed by this Nandy love in, she's utterly unelectable, yet you've got her first choice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

You don't have to rejoin in order to vote. And it's fair to say that you can't complain that the party don't represent you if you don't pay £25 in order to influence what the party represent.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

What does the party that represents you look like then? I bet it's not a million miles off where most of the candidates are standing politically.

The Labour party has a huge issue with Momentum no matter who becomes leader. I feel I've done my bit in the past tbh, I'm not willing to get involved in the mess it's become. I had the argument with the likes of J69 3 years ago, I've been proved right about the party's fate unfortunately.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Just watched the full interview on YouTube. She was very impressive, shutting Neil's bullshit tactics down on several occasions and making a lot of sense. 

It's hard to imagine any of the other candidates performing better. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's not rocket science. You go for the person who can defeat the tories. The person they fear most. That person is clearly Starmer. I'm utterly perplexed by this Nandy love in, she's utterly unelectable, yet you've got her first choice. 

Did you watch last night's interview with Neil? She absolutely bossed the bloke that Johnson was too scared to face. Impressive people are electable. 

she's impressed me so far. she's a smart politician and a good communicator - all the things corbyn wasn't.

i will probably go with starmer eventually, but he is a bit beige. and a bit establishment. 

If Brexit turns out to be a shitshow and we approach the next election in some form of national crisis, I think you need someone a bit beige and establishment if you want the soft Tory voters from 2019 to jump ship. Asking them to pin their hopes on a relative newbie like Nandy (or whoever) as PM in a time of instability seems a bit of a stretch - they're more likely to stick with what they know even if that's an increasingly discredited Johnson.

But if you're assuming the next election is already a Tory lock-in and you're looking at the long game, there's probably something to be said for letting someone "new" have it and letting them gain experience and momentum (no pun intended).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

she's impressed me so far. she's a smart politician and a good communicator - all the things corbyn wasn't.

I didn't see her interview last night but I've seen plenty of her on panel discussions and she's never stood out for me.

Plus her wishy washy stance on Brexit was pathetic and in complete contrast to Jess Phillips' strong anti-Brexit stance despite being in a leave constituency.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

If Brexit turns out to be a shitshow and we approach the next election in some form of national crisis, I think you need someone a bit beige and establishment if you want the soft Tory voters from 2019 to jump ship. Asking them to pin their hopes on a relative newbie like Nandy (or whoever) as PM in a time of instability seems a bit of a stretch - they're more likely to stick with what they know even if that's an increasingly discredited Johnson.

But if you're assuming the next election is already a Tory lock-in and you're looking at the long game, there's probably something to be said for letting someone "new" have it and letting them gain experience and momentum (no pun intended).

yeah, maybe. 

he's probably the safest pair of hands, but i don't know if he's the man to win back the red wall. 

but then, they voted for an old etonian, so fuck knows. 

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I didn't see her interview last night but I've seen plenty of her on panel discussions and she's never stood out for me.

Plus her wishy washy stance on Brexit was pathetic and in complete contrast to Jess Phillips' strong anti-Brexit stance despite being in a leave constituency.

watch the neil interview 

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Largely agree, but the long stretch is 10 to 15 years! A quarter of a century of uninterrupted tory rule. I might be in my 60s, my kids will be adults. By then it will be too late for this country imo, and climate change will have fucked us all.

Really, we had our chance this time. Certain people didn't listen to the warnings about Corbyn, and now the gig is fucked. The good days are behind us, it's only going to get worse. 

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/01/13/the-center-blows-itself-up-care-and-spite-in-the-brexit-election/

This article is superb and well worth a read even though it's long. Even covers Rentons feelings about the current direction of the Labour Party.

Key point though is that the faction that took the heaviest hammering in this election was the centre. Not the left.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

watch the neil interview 

I've heard she just said what Neil wanted to hear. I'll watch it tonight. I've been unimpressed with her every time I have listened to her so far though. 

Certain people didn't listen to the warnings about Corbyn, and now the gig is fucked. The good days are behind us, it's only going to get worse. 

Aye, if only the Labour party before Corbyn had listened to the warnings about austerity, maybe we wouldn't be here.

Although Brexit would have happened anyway of course since the desire to issue an anti-establishment kick in the bollocks would have existed still been there.

Edited by Rayvin

Largely agree, but the long stretch is 10 to 15 years! A quarter of a century of uninterrupted tory rule. I might be in my 60s, my kids will be adults. By then it will be too late for this country imo, and climate change will have fucked us all.

Really, we had our chance this time. Certain people didn't listen to the warnings about Corbyn, and now the gig is fucked. The good days are behind us, it's only going to get worse. 

Image result for partridge suicide gif