Politics

Christmas Tree

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the bigots like left wing economic policies - free stuff, a strong nhs, nationalised utilities etc. they didn't like the manhole-spotting, vegetarian pacifist delivering the message. and yes, they wanted to exit the EU. but let's not forget what brexit was all about - immigration, immigration, immigration. 

if the new labour leader delivers left wing economics combined with a stronger stance on things like crime, defence/security and immigration, we have a chance. 

And yet Nandy has come out saying we have to make a positive case for immigration.

There is a huge value divide between the young and the old - as a result of Blair sending more people to uni, I might add. It's really not going to be easy unless the Tories do so badly that all other considerations go out the window.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

And yet Nandy has come out saying we have to make a positive case for immigration.

There is a huge value divide between the young and the old - as a result of Blair sending more people to uni, I might add. It's really not going to be easy unless the Tories do so badly that all other considerations go out the window.

it's about how the message is delivered, and packaged in a northern working class accent

“We should have been bold enough to defend free movement, and the opportunities and benefits it brings. But this would have required recognising it has flaws, and not dismissing concerns as simply racist anti-immigrant sentiment." 

remember that at the moment she has an eye on attracting votes from the mostly metropolitan liberal membership. i expect her to be much stronger than corbyn on issues such as immigration, if she ends up running for office. 

remember this clip? 

she can talk to the bigots, i reckon. it's a huge part of this whole debate. we have to hold our noses and accept that's why a large chunk of labour voters wanted brexit. 

I'm prepared to surrender on immigration - I've been saying it's a lost battle for years now anyway and that the EU will ultimately have to do the same - but I don't think it'll be enough. Let's hope you're right.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's about how the message is delivered, and packaged in a northern working class accent

“We should have been bold enough to defend free movement, and the opportunities and benefits it brings. But this would have required recognising it has flaws, and not dismissing concerns as simply racist anti-immigrant sentiment." 

remember that at the moment she has an eye on attracting votes from the mostly metropolitan liberal membership. i expect her to be much stronger than corbyn on issues such as immigration, if she ends up running for office. 

remember this clip? 

she can talk to the bigots, i reckon. it's a huge part of this whole debate. we have to hold our noses and accept that's why a large chunk of labour voters wanted brexit. 

She's the MP for Wigan. She invented talking to bigots. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/15/2018 at 15:43, Dr Gloom said:

what kind of cunt blocks a new law to ban people taking photos up the skirts of unsuspecting women? something i'm surprised isn't already a crime tbh

a cunt like Christopher Chope.

his record in parliament is absolutely appalling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Chope

Re-elected with a 47% majority.

This country...

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Re-elected with a 47% majority.

This country...

There was a big campaign in Christchurch in the run up to the elevtion to concentrate on his voting record/being an utter cunt but you've illustrated beautifully how effective it was on the door step :lol:

Meanwhile on the other side of the conurbation this happened on Monday:

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18157304.health-secretary-matt-hancock-signs-off-changes-bournemouth-poole-hospitals/

Again, these plans were well known to the electorate at the election. Sir Robert Syms, the sitting Tory who isn't on record as having uttered as much as a fuckin syllable about the town he represents losing its A&E department, was similarly returned with a 57.8% majority. 

Am giving NZ seriuous consideration. The current Mrs PL isn't, but I am :cuppa:

Neoliberalism, the ideology of Thatcher, has been the prevailing ideology of western powers for about 40 years. Thatcherism maybe not, but the general ideology has persevered through Blair, even if he only accepted it as a pragmatic compromise.

Yeh I mean I’m sure that’s cool common room chat but it’ll be fuck all use when people are out knocking on doors.

”you're from the labour party? the guys that did all that really good stuff in the 90s/00s & improved millions of people’s lives & prospects & gave us the best NHS performance on record?” 

Well you see comrade, if you look closer that was actually the tories... :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeh I mean I’m sure that’s cool common room chat but it’ll be fuck all use when people are out knocking on doors.

”you're from the labour party? the guys that did all that really good stuff in the 90s/00s & improved millions of people’s lives & prospects & gave us the best NHS performance on record?” 

Well you see comrade, if you look closer that was actually the tories... :rolleyes: 

And? She's in Parliament. It's literally modelled on a fucking common room. She's not there speaking to the electorate, she's speaking on their behalf to people who do understand this shit.

Let's not abandon all intellectualism in pursuit of lowest common denominator slogans and soundbites. The slogans and soundbites change nothing, they are meaningless, unless the intellectual understanding and policies that they enable are also present.

Edited by Rayvin