Politics

Christmas Tree

29 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Sinn Fein leading in the Irish polls. Taking our country back is going to result in Ireland and Scotland taking theirs back. Top job Boris

You’re maybe making a bit of a leap there.

Ah they're always calling for a border poll. They're doing well in the polls down south but are still likely to be the third largest party in the Dail and neither of the big two parties want to work with them in coalition.

Plus the power to grant a referendum largely lies with the British government and there's no way they're going to grant one unless it's very clear that there's a majority for it in NI which isn't evident at the moment.

The polling I saw showed a parallel with the UK in that young people are mainly voting SF and older voters are sticking with the two old/main parties.

I'd always got the impression that the two old parties are like a lot of countries where there are two very centrist parties who very rarely try anything radical - maybe young support for SF shows that the next generation do want change.

• Like 1

I think you're right there. FG is centre right and FF is very much in the centre but a lot of people are being attract to SF's left wing politics.

SF's biggest mistake in this election could be that they're only running 42 candidates. I think even they underestimated they're own popularity.

Irish unity certainly isn't a factor in the election and there's absolutely no desire for a return to violence but there is still a perception of many in the south of SF as being the IRA in suits.

I'd take the polls with a pinch of salt though as SF may have issues with getting that support to actually go out to the polls.

There isn't an answer for Labour this time out. As I've said many times, there was no conceivable victory for Labour no matter who was in charge. And while Brexit looms large, we're still going to be shafted irrespective of who is in charge.

Starmer is the best bet for me for the same reason that Corbyn was. If we're going to lose anyway, I'd prefer to die on my feet than on my knees. And he supports freedom of movement, so he gets my vote.

Did the so call red wall voters care about Blairs unfettered immigration? 

I'd say probably not much when that can be overridden by a general feeling of trust which is where Corbyn failed. 

• Like 1

Fucking hell man, that cunt in the video. "guys he's from the North, can we get him one of their hats?" 

How fucking weird is Johnson btw. I do not get the appeal at all. Just a stuttering bumbling fuckwad of a man.