Politics

Christmas Tree

"hello unsuspecting boy in a tree. i'm creepy barry gardiner.

now look into my eyes, while i place my hand tenderly on your back then talk for 45 minutes about labour's nebulous brexit position"

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I really think the media are in trouble. By being partisan over important issues they've broken trust with the public who don't have the desire to support them now. The BBC are a good example of this in recent weeks - they pulled punches on Johnson because they believed that impartiality means you can only expose an equal amount of bullshit, irrespective of how much each side is spewing - and they helped cause this crisis by giving Farage such extensive airtime.

And so now, there is no one in their corner. Same for the rest of the media although the right wing outlets will of course simply become the Russia Today's of the new right wing order. 

The internet talking heads will replace them and then we really are fucked.

Darren Grimes on Politics Live today ffs.

• Like 1

The road from near the Scottish border at Carlisle to Stranraer/Cairnryan is about as good as the A1 between Newcastle and Edinburgh ie tractors can hold up  international traffic regularly...

Edited by PaddockLad

Boris just loves imagining bridges. Building them, not so much.

A bridge from NI to rural Scotland ffs, 20 miles over a sea canyon full of unexploded munitions, in one of the stormiest seas in the world that's also a shipping lane. Of course. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

Metre for metre, if you scale up from the Garden Bridge you're talking £5bn. But I reckon that's a conservative estimate (no pun intended).

The Garden Bridge did have a few trees to price in, of course, whereas the Scotland-NI plan... oh.

EQb0bADXkAktMWB?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it connected 2 metropolises, like London and Paris, it may just about be feasible. Maybe. A second channel tunnel would definitely make more economic sense. But this is obviously not the case here. So what i don't get is that this is so obviously a stunt, what's to gain? He's not going to come out of this looking good. 

10 hours ago, Renton said:

If it connected 2 metropolises, like London and Paris, it may just about be feasible. Maybe. A second channel tunnel would definitely make more economic sense. But this is obviously not the case here. So what i don't get is that this is so obviously a stunt, what's to gain? He's not going to come out of this looking good. 

It's Keynesian economics though. Government putting money into infrastructure on the basis that it boosts the economy. Same as HS2. Instead of spending money on genuinely helpful initiatives that could address the bigger issues in British society, the Tories will spend it on nonsense that has the same effect but doesn't threaten them in an ideological sense.

It's an admission that we've always been right on the economic front.

I had a look at the papers this morning and most of them are leading with the government's great pledge to improve bus services. Only the Mirror is talking about the fact that towns in the north keep flooding because the government refuses to spend the money on improving flood controls.

Anyway, the news on investment in bus services will be a nice little earner for Jo Bamford who picked up Wrightbus for a song recently. He also happens to be the son of major Tory and Vote Leave donor, Anthony Bamford.

• Like 2