Politics

Christmas Tree

I see Jeremy Clarkson saying he'd vote Labour has got the far-left frothing at the mouth. These people genuinely don't want to see a Labour party in government.

• Like 1

Tricky one though, isn’t it? 
On the practical side , we need the likes of him and his Gammon Army if we’re ever going to oust The Cunts, but he also thinks strikers should be shot in front of their family’s. 

He's a cunt but we're going to need a lot of cunts like him to vote Labour. The GTTO lot don't seem to realise that there aren't 10.5 million people willing to vote Labour and share their exact world view.

• Like 4

Most left wing spending package I can remember seeing. Going down well with the public too.

It turns out that people do want left wing policies, they just don't want to have to admit that they want them. The Tories, to their credit, seem to have worked this out.

Can't see any way back for Labour at present, as badly as the government has handled almost everything since the election, they're still managing to create positive headlines and are still up on Starmer.

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Most left wing spending package I can remember seeing. Going down well with the public too.

It turns out that people do want left wing policies, they just don't want to have to admit that they want them. The Tories, to their credit, seem to have worked this out.

Can't see any way back for Labour at present, as badly as the government has handled almost everything since the election, they're still managing to create positive headlines and are still up on Starmer.

They've literally had the biggest decline in the polls in this timeframe in history. Literally.

And if you think this pathetic package is anything other than elastoplast over a severed jugular vein I think you're a bit naive, the country is massive difficulties now, it hasn't even hit us yet. Absolutely pointless making predictions on the next GE, but I am almost certain Johnson won't be contesting it.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Hope you're right Rents, but I'm sticking to the prediction  that they'll be in power for at least another term after this one.

I hope I'm not right. If you're right, we have a GE which the tories can win, then that is some sense of normality.

But personally I think this has all gone beyond partisan politics, I wouldn't rule anything out, including there not being another GE. I think the UK will be a very different place in 4 years, its changed beyond recognition in the last 4. None of it for the good. 

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

I hope I'm not right. If you're right, we have a GE which the tories can win, then that is some sense of normality.

But personally I think this has all gone beyond partisan politics, I wouldn't rule anything out, including there not being another GE. I think the UK will be a very different place in 4 years, its changed beyond recognition in the last 4. None of it for the good. 

I suspect the UK will not exist as the UK 

7 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I suspect the UK will not exist as the UK 

Yeah, the latest Scottish polling is being ignored by English MSM and Westminster politicians. Scotland is going with NI to follow. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18502527.latest-poll-predicts-snp-set-huge-win-2021-scottish-elections/

Edited by Renton

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, the latest Scottish polling is being ignored by English MSM and Westminster politicians. Scotland is going with NI to follow. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18502527.latest-poll-predicts-snp-set-huge-win-2021-scottish-elections/

Wales seems to building a head of steam also

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

No general election? Is this a cheerful prediction that we're about to become a dictatorship? 

I think it's a possibility, unlikely but still possible. The de facto leader of this country is already unelected. The government have been systematically attacking the institutions responsible for checks and balances for years now, it's just become normal and nobody bats an eyelid anymore. The propaganda machine is in fulll swing. Of course, nothing like this has ever happened before, has it?

Or maybe I've been listening to too much Radiohead this morning.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I'd put it a bit higher, but less than 5%. Still, the attacks on the judiciary, civil service, and media worry me, I certainly think democracy is constantly being undermined. Assuming nothing too Dystopian happens, I don't see anyway back for the tories though. People vote on the economy in the main. In 4 years time the combined effect of covid, Brexit, and general ineptitude will see it wrecked. To win, they have to take enough demographic groups with them, but that's a circle they cant square, because you can't appease the red wall at the same time as the home counties lot. Pensions look screwed, so that's another group. Even farmers were protesting against them yesterday. 

I think I agree on the election prospects. We're not even a year into Johnson's reign and he is every bit as incompetent as everyone feared and the public has already cottoned onto it. That's a bad situation for him in a normal political cycle, but with what's about to come over the next four years, I think he'll be gone and it should (SHOULD) be impossible for them to pin this on anyone else. At least not in the sort of numbers that they need, there'll always be some true believers. 

As far as the dictatorship goes, there'd have to be some will from the people to allow that to happen. There's no doubt they're doing a lot of bad shit behind the scenes to mess with how democracy is supposed to work in this country, but that's relatively covert and opaque enough that they can do it and a majority of the country doesn't know what's happening. That's a world removed from all overtly trying to install themselves as permanent leaders, although as I'm typing I can see how if you do enough of the covert shit, then you don't need to make that final step all that overt. 

They did a lot of covert stuff during the election, mainly dodgy Facebook ads and funded “campaign groups” that totally disappeared as soon as it was over.

25 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think I agree on the election prospects. We're not even a year into Johnson's reign and he is every bit as incompetent as everyone feared and the public has already cottoned onto it. That's a bad situation for him in a normal political cycle, but with what's about to come over the next four years, I think he'll be gone and it should (SHOULD) be impossible for them to pin this on anyone else. At least not in the sort of numbers that they need, there'll always be some true believers. 

As far as the dictatorship goes, there'd have to be some will from the people to allow that to happen. There's no doubt they're doing a lot of bad shit behind the scenes to mess with how democracy is supposed to work in this country, but that's relatively covert and opaque enough that they can do it and a majority of the country doesn't know what's happening. That's a world removed from all overtly trying to install themselves as permanent leaders, although as I'm typing I can see how if you do enough of the covert shit, then you don't need to make that final step all that overt. 

It's the boiling frog scenario, people just seem so desensitized to the shit that's happening. Not surprising, it's relentless. Also I don't do social media, but it's clearly a problem. We are very near now to the stage where videos can be digitally doctored to show almost anything. At this point, objective truth is lost. We're seeing the early symptoms now, maybe the full  blown disease will be fatal. We live in a democracy but only nominally imo. More like an idiotcracy tbh.