Politics

Christmas Tree

There’s a piece on the 6 o’click news at the minute about Redcar. The general gist is what a fucking mess the place is and how it’s one of the 10 most deprived communities in the UK. 

I can’t help thinking that electing a Tory MP maybe wasn’t the best move 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Alex said:

There’s a piece on the 6 o’click news at the minute about Redcar. The general gist is what a fucking mess the place is and how it’s one of the 10 most deprived communities in the UK. 

I can’t help thinking that electing a Tory MP maybe wasn’t the best move 

It’s all the forenners fault though.

Thick, xenophobic cunts.

• Like 1

Labour on level with the Tories in the polls. Both on 40%.

This is clearly good news, but then I've also been told by my dad who knows a guy who is on conversational terms with Cumming's dad (I know) that the plan is for Johnson to step down in January after having delivered Brexit, for Cummings to go with him, and then you would expect the Tories to use that as an opportunity to draw a line under everything, once again.

It'll be interesting to see where that takes us in the end but while this is positive news it'll need to keep up for quite a while..!

Edited by Rayvin

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Is your dad the journalist who published that same story in The Times last week?

I'll level with you. I wasn't really paying much attention to what he was saying at that point and just filled in things around the edges based on what I thought I heard. Maybe he said he read this in the Times indeed :lol:

Either way, the message is the important thing!

Cummings seems more like the cling to power like a limpet type than the ride off into the sunset type. Johnson will do what he’s told to do by Cummings. Insofar as he’s able to anyway. I.e. it’s nee good telling him to deliver a coherent message via the medium of speech

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ewerk said:

Is your dad the journalist who published that same story in The Times last week?

I said it about 3 months ago like, on here. I'm sure you've bookmarked it somewhere.  ;)

No way is Johnson lasting another year. 

As MF says, good luck drawing a line under anything while we're still in the grip of a global pandemic, and with the disaster of a Tory Brexit layered on top of it. It's not like they're going to source a leader from outside of the current cabinet, so whoever it is is implicated in whatever shit is happening to the country. 

Who in the current cabinet is even remotely qualified? Gove would be the only one I can think of. Outside the cabinet you have the likes of Hunt and The Saj who would still fancy their chances but competency is thin on the ground within the Tory party.

I don't think any of them are qualified, but that doesn't mean we won't see Raab or Sunak as PM. They can all fuck off as far as I'm concerned. 

Anyway I think Johnson going is wishful thinking. If he's delivered Brexit, and the world is closing in on a vaccine, he's not about to chuck it on, unless the longcovid stuff is really chinning him. 

I think there will be panic buying from mid November, especially if there are more regional flare ups of Covid that require lock down . The haulage industry will grind to a halt before Christmas, meaning no fresh veg for Xmas dinner for millions. There will be other, as yet unknowable shortages too...if they include vital drugs & medicines I think Johnson will wish he jacked  his hand round about now, before Parliament returns. Then the tories can have their patsy in place all ready for this winter, which appears to me at this distance likely to be unlike any other we’ve experienced....

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

It's hard to imagine, if he does go, what the point in all of this was for Johnson. Devastate the country just to be PM for a year and a half? No one is going to remember him fondly after this, he won't be considered a hero or a national treasure. What the fuck has the point been for him personally?

Johnson doesn't strategise, he blunders from one disaster to another on a daily basis. What was the point? Because he could.. Remember what a narcissistic cunt the man is. I hope his toxic legacy eats him every day of his life going forward. 

• Like 4

Absolutely that. He’s just stumbled into it. And he’d have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for that pesky pandemic. He’s just a charming (not to me, but clearly to many) conman who came up against a joke of an opposition leader at the right time (for him). 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's hard to imagine, if he does go, what the point in all of this was for Johnson. Devastate the country just to be PM for a year and a half? No one is going to remember him fondly after this, he won't be considered a hero or a national treasure. What the fuck has the point been for him personally?

I doubt he gives a fuck. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

As MF says, good luck drawing a line under anything while we're still in the grip of a global pandemic, and with the disaster of a Tory Brexit layered on top of it. It's not like they're going to source a leader from outside of the current cabinet, so whoever it is is implicated in whatever shit is happening to the country. 

Labour need to dine out on this shit just as the Tories did with the 2008 crash. Brown steered us through it better than most world leaders but a global crisis became “Labour’s crash”.

The Tories are going to own hard Brexit and all the economic devastation that comes with it. The pandemic is global but Cummings and Johnson ballsed it up more than most. Voters need to be consistently reminded of these failures

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It’s a good question. I haven’t got a clue. His legacy could be even more toxic than Cameron’s and so far he has managed to make May look a competent leader - who wouldn’t take her deal now? At least there was no border down the Irish Sea.