Politics

Christmas Tree

Just now, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

A lot of my friends in the arts (comedy mostly) have gone on the governments re training app and after entering their details it has told them to get jobs in .... The Arts. lol

There was a Doctor I follow on twitter this a.m. it said he could maybe become a paramedic :)

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

A lot of my friends in the arts (comedy mostly) have gone on the governments re training app and after entering their details it has told them to get jobs in .... The Arts. lol

Do they test their new stuff on you? :lol:

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Do they test their new stuff on you? :lol:

Hamish, are you doing the fringe at Edinburgh this year? I haven't heard you mentioning much about it lately? 

No, Crawford, I'm taking some time out this year. Tried a small routine on Kevin Carr's gloves and you could've heard a pin drop. Not even a titter. Thinking of getting into the English tapas scene with a friend who lives down south of the border, instead.

• Haha 5

Whilst this government flits between right wing authoritarianism at best & chaotic evil at worst I don’t know how I could ever be ambivalent about voting labour no matter how bland they are. 

Also I imagine the tactic is to establish trust/power and then gradually move left. (Starmer is literally on the board of the Fabian society)

• Like 2

I can understand Starmer trying to emulate Blair in getting the old fuckers on board but the reality is that that drift was happening before and during Blair's time as well - its about the link between people and unions and communities in a post industrial world as well as young people leaving these areas and leaving behind people who feel lost. Add in the freedom to be publicly racist and you have a huge problem which I think saluting the flag is only a start in fixing. 

As I've said before you can acknowledge what Blair did in terms of schools and hospitals etc. in these areas but unfortunately its still perceived with some justification that they were taken for granted and didn't receive enough support in terms of real investment. That perception will be hard to change. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Rees-Mogg’s sister currently doing the indy2 campaign a fantastic service on Politics Live with her ‘you’d have nothing if it weren’t for us’ argument to Scotland.

Always amazes me, if Scotland is such a HUGE drain on the rest of the UK, why the fuck are Westminster so desperate to keep hold of such a patently deep money pit !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJS said:

I can understand Starmer trying to emulate Blair in getting the old fuckers on board but the reality is that that drift was happening before and during Blair's time as well - its about the link between people and unions and communities in a post industrial world as well as young people leaving these areas and leaving behind people who feel lost. Add in the freedom to be publicly racist and you have a huge problem which I think saluting the flag is only a start in fixing. 

As I've said before you can acknowledge what Blair did in terms of schools and hospitals etc. in these areas but unfortunately its still perceived with some justification that they were taken for granted and didn't receive enough support in terms of real investment. That perception will be hard to change. 

Agreed but I still struggle to get my head around voting Tory as a fix. They’ve made things much fucking worse 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Whilst this government flits between right wing authoritarianism at best & chaotic evil at worst I don’t know how I could ever be ambivalent about voting labour no matter how bland they are. 

Also I imagine the tactic is to establish trust/power and then gradually move left. (Starmer is literally on the board of the Fabian society)

exactly. win power first - and to do so make some compromises along the way - then reveal your true colours with policies that help deliver social justice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Always amazes me, if Scotland is such a HUGE drain on the rest of the UK, why the fuck are Westminster so desperate to keep hold of such a patently deep money pit !!!

I'm like this for the north east getting blamed for a Tory govt or Brexit. Wish we had known how much power we wielded all those years we got the govt we didn't vote for. :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

exactly. win power first - and to do so make some compromises along the way - then reveal your true colours with policies that help deliver social justice. 

So you think that Labour will win power and then take us back into the EU?

16 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Would you settle for a Norway type deal? I would, tbh rejoining fully would be a disaster for at least 20 years. Half this country are thick as whale spunk brexiteers. They'd continue to be represented in the EU parliament because of PR and continue to disgrace us. Why would the EU even want us?

Norway however is perfect. All the benefits and no say. No Farage to embarrass us in Brussels. Also we could keep our precious fish. Its definitely what I would aim for if I was Starmer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Would you settle for a Norway type deal? I would, tbh rejoining fully would be a disaster for at least 20 years. Half this country are thick as whale spunk brexiteers. They'd continue to be represented in the EU parliament because of PR and continue to disgrace us. Why would the EU even want us?

Norway however is perfect. All the benefits and no say. No Farage to embarrass us in Brussels. Also we could keep our precious fish. Its definitely what I would aim for if I was Starmer.

It's also the option Farage used to champion, even if he denies that now, so that's something to point at if you're trying to get those voters on side.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Renton said:

I would tbf.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

probably not, but then no party capable of winning power would. so if those are preconditions for your vote, it looks like you've given up on democracy - well done, we can blame your for more tory rule just as we can blame brexit on CT. 

what starmer might do, as a remainer, is lay the foundations for a possible future return

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

probably not, but then no party capable of winning power would. so if those are preconditions for your vote, it looks like you've given up on democracy - well done, we can blame your for more tory rule just as we can blame brexit on CT. 

what starmer might do, as a remainer, is lay the foundations for a possible future return

Absolutely. 

14 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but i don't give a fuck who you blame - the idea that you think I can be shamed into voting labour based on this feeble logic is kind of hilarious.

Blame me if it helps you sleep at night though.

46 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but i don't give a fuck who you blame - the idea that you think I can be shamed into voting labour based on this feeble logic is kind of hilarious.

Blame me if it helps you sleep at night though.

i blame you and you alone for enabling another five years of tory rule. i hope you're proud of yourself 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

in case the sarcasm was lost again, i was poking fun. i don't blame you for anything

I'm struggling to see it in the initial post, especially since the two statements it's couched between are both quite possibly accurate. Yes Starmer may set the foundations for a return, and yes I have given up on democracy.

It's worth noting though that Starmer appears to me to be pragmatic above everything else. He isn't going to push us back towards the EU on principle, only if there are votes in it. Therefore it makes sense for me to hold my vote ransom if i ever want to see this happen.

Not that I actually matter at all, but you get the idea.

I stuck with him through a number of abstentions that made my stomach turn based on taking a pragmatic view myself, but if they stop being a pro-EU party then that really is the end of it for me.