Politics

Christmas Tree

Just now, Renton said:

Goods are checked at the borders of Scotland with the EU, like the proposed plan in the WA. Container ports and airports. rUK will rejoin EEA at some point anyway. 

So one foot in and one foot out of the SM and CU. It isn't exactly frictionless and I'm no entirely sure it's something the EU would countenance.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So one foot in and one foot out of the SM and CU. It isn't exactly frictionless and I'm no entirely sure it's something the EU would countenance.

Its not ideal but I think the EU would definitely accept this as a political win. EFTA might be a better fit though. 

Oh, and I forgot, the large majority of fishing grounds in the UK are Scottish, so they get to keep the fish as well!

Edited by Renton

so...

indie scotland pre-brexit = poorer

indie scotland post-brexit = potentially could do better, but only if EU accept them back, which they may or may not 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

so...

indie scotland pre-brexit = poorer

indie scotland post-brexit = potentially could do better, but only if EU accept them back, which they may or may not 

EFTA and EEA like Norway? Iirc even Farage like Norway. 

4 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I think there will be a hard border.

can you explain why that would be a good thing? i admit i'm no expert here, but it sounds like a terrible idea

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

can you explain why that would be a good thing? i admit i'm no expert here, but it sounds like a terrible idea

I didn't say it would be a good thing. It's just what will have to happen to get back in the EU. That's the end target for an Independent Scotland.

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

The borders will be in container ports in Scotland. There can't be a hard border on the A1 or M74 for the same reasons as Ireland.

Do you think the EU will set up customs posts on the main routes from the Republic into NI to check lorries etc? 

Just now, Billy Whitehurst said:

No, that was my experience of living there for 12 years. I really didn’t like living there and would never live there again 

My parents like it, and still live there, people are different.

Your experience of living there is that the National Anthem is the worst in the world?

7 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Your experience of living there is that the National Anthem is the worst in the world?

No, read my post about the bigotry and the obsession with England as to why I didn’t like living there. I haven’t experienced that anywhere else I’ve lived. As I said, I only really experience that on the west coast and Glasgow area. I didn’t get much of that in Edinburgh or the east coast. 

I didn’t say the anthem was the worst, I said it was the pettiest. A national anthem based on a 700 year old battle is just mental. ‘Scotland the Brave’ was far more celebratory. ‘Flower of Scotland’ just sounds like you have a massive chip on your shoulder.

1 minute ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

No, read my post about the bigotry and the obsession with England as to why I didn’t like living there. I haven’t experienced that anywhere else I’ve lived. As I said, I only really experience that on the west coast and Glasgow area. I didn’t get much of that in Edinburgh or the east coast. 

I didn’t say the anthem was the worst, I said it was the pettiest. A national anthem based on a 700 year old battle is just mental. ‘Scotland the Brave’ was far more celebratory. ‘Flower of Scotland’ just sounds like you have a massive chip on your shoulder.

It's still not as petty as God Save the Queen and isn't in fact the Scottish National Anthem.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Its the taxpayer that’s been saving her. Sing that instead.

🎵

God save our gracious Queen,

God save our noble queen

'cos she's had a right time of it, lately.

🎶

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm just going on what i've read. scotland benefits from high per capita public spending, compared to other parts of the UK

London gets the lion's share of everything.

14 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Hardly. Its a beautiful song imo, so what if it references historic battles. Ffs, GStQ is supposed to a UK.anthem and talks about subjugated the Scots! It also sounds shit.

Those days are past now,
And in the past
They must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be the nation again,

Seems apt to me. But as said, isn't even an anthem anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Hardly. Its a beautiful song imo, so what if it references historic battles. Ffs, GStQ is supposed to a UK.anthem and talks about subjugated the Scots! It also sounds shit.

Seems apt to me. But as said, isn't even an anthem anyway. 

If they must remain in the past then they should stop banging the fuck on about it in the song.

You’ll get no defence of GStQ from me, she can get tae hersel tae fuck, as the Scotch might say.

17 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

London gets the lion's share of everything.

I agree with that. The amount spent on Infrastructure in London (particularly on transport) is completely unfair. The bill for HS2, just to shave 30 mins off the journey to London (or whatever it is) is criminal. That amount of money could make a huge difference to the areas that have traditionally been overlooked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I agree with that. The amount spent on Infrastructure in London (particularly on transport) is completely unfair. The bill for HS2, just to shave 30 mins off the journey to London (or whatever it is) is criminal. That amount of money could make a huge difference to the areas that have traditionally been overlooked.

Never mind HS2*, look at cross rail? Look at all the arts, historical stuff etc? 

*Had another letter from HS2 through the door and they're pausing the East line but carrying on to Manchester. Why the letter to me? Well if the East line which terminates at Leeds goes ahead they'll be using the facilities at chillingham road depot to maintain and clean the fleet so as it's close by I was part of a consultation. So I can pop round the corner and get on one of the trains if I want, provided I have experience as a fitter, electrician or as a cleaner. If I want to travel to London on it I'll have to travel to Yorkshire or Manchester unless I qualify as a train driver. :lol: Cheeky bastards sending me a letter about it.

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 2

It’s funny how every announcement of “help” for people unable to work through furlough chips a little bit off the “help”. 
80% of full wage, to 70%, to 67%. 

Because everything’s just getting cheaper and cheaper, isn’t it? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Never mind HS2*, look at cross rail? Look at all the arts, historical stuff etc? 

*Had another letter from HS2 through the door and they're pausing the East line but carrying on to Manchester. Why the letter to me? Well if the East line which terminates at Leeds goes ahead they'll be using the facilities at chillingham road depot to maintain and clean the fleet so as it's close by I was part of a consultation. So I can pop round the corner and get on one of the trains if I want, provided I have experience as a fitter, electrician or as a cleaner. If I want to travel to London on it I'll have to travel to Yorkshire or Manchester unless I qualify as a train driver. :lol: Cheeky bastards sending me a letter about it.

No, there will be direct trains from Newcastle to London Euston, only it won't be fully high speed until around York. That's why they are being stabled at Heaton. Did you think they were travelling 100 miles north for a bit of a clean?

So we will benefit,  but only if Leeds do. And its about capacity, not speed (once upon a time the trains were chocker, seems a long time ago). I know, I know, piss take away. Just seems odd to me people here would criticise HS2 when unlike crossrail we will benefit a lot imo. Or we can stick to third world trains and the megabus.