Politics

Christmas Tree

Why don’t we have two minutes of silence on our doorsteps every single day of the year?

Why do we hate the troops? Shameful & a sad indictment of the leftists that are running this country into the ground. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I won't wear a poppy any more.  Talk about virtue signalling. The generation who this stands for are nearly all dead, and the lessons we should have learnt have been consigned to the bin. 

Isn't that the point, i.e. the dead, I am not a poppy fascist, but I do and will always wear one (not this fucking early though) and hate how it's been weaponised by the cunts.

I wear mine in memory of my great uncle Gordon, who was killed in September 2015, at the battle of Loos, we have all his letters home from when he joined up right through to the telegrams of when he went missing, missing presumed killed and then letters from his mates describing how he supposedly died, both say he died painlessly/instantly, one said he was shot through the heart and one says he was shot in the head, the contradiction makes you wonder ! there's also letters from the mother of his young Lieutenant who was with him/went missing at same time asking my great grandmother if she's heard anything.

They're an emotional read, goes from "we'll give the Hun a bloody nose, can't wait until Charlie (my grandfather) can get out here and help" rhetoric - Charlie was 14 but had joined up"  through to descriptions of them having to help sort casualties out in shelled villages through to a completely different tone "I really hope Charlie doesn't have to come" and the letters are replaced by small cards with pre-printed "delete which not applicable" choices, I am fine, I have been wounded etc etc.

So I'll wear my poppy in the spirit in which it was intended.

Gordon has no known grave.

image.png.ed6e78ee25df75a19c69bfa3a1debbe5.png

Postscript, Charlie never did have to go, when Gordon was killed his mam told the army he was under age and he was discharged because they "officially" knew he was too young, we have photo's of him with his platoon, he's a fucking bairn.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 4

My mate in the army says he finds anything else disrespectful and I’m inclined to agree.

Especially when you see a faded pink poppy adorning an old transit van. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

My mate in the army says he finds anything else disrespectful and I’m inclined to agree.

Especially when you see a faded pink poppy adorning an old transit van. 

As a further aside, other grandfather "went through" as they called it (active service right from 1914 to 1918) was at the Somme and god know what else, wounded a couple of times and he HATED remembrance day, used to bring it back I guess, he would never ever talk about the war all I remember is him coming into the room one time when I was a nipper and the cenotaph thing was on the telly, he spun round and left and I heard him mutter, "I don't need this shit to remember my friends".

47 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

As a further aside, other grandfather "went through" as they called it (active service right from 1914 to 1918) was at the Somme and god know what else, wounded a couple of times and he HATED remembrance day, used to bring it back I guess, he would never ever talk about the war all I remember is him coming into the room one time when I was a nipper and the cenotaph thing was on the telly, he spun round and left and I heard him mutter, "I don't need this shit to remember my friends".

I'm glad I've never been in that situation that your granda was in but I think that be my default position as well. 

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm glad I've never been in that situation that your granda was in but I think that be my default position as well. 

I remember when I was a kid we went to Edinburgh castle and in the chapel there, there are (or were) books of remembrance, never forget looking over at him and he was stood over a book tears streaming down his face, I'm guessing it was his regiments book, mam just ushered me away sort of "come and see some this over here".

Strange how memories come back to me, god knows what his memories were :(

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Isn't that the point, i.e. the dead, I am not a poppy fascist, but I do and will always wear one (not this fucking early though) and hate how it's been weaponised by the cunts.

I wear mine in memory of my great uncle Gordon, who was killed in September 2015, at the battle of Loos, we have all his letters home from when he joined up right through to the telegrams of when he went missing, missing presumed killed and then letters from his mates describing how he supposedly died, both say he died painlessly/instantly, one said he was shot through the heart and one says he was shot in the head, the contradiction makes you wonder ! there's also letters from the mother of his young Lieutenant who was with him/went missing at same time asking my great grandmother if she's heard anything.

They're an emotional read, goes from "we'll give the Hun a bloody nose, can't wait until Charlie (my grandfather) can get out here and help" rhetoric - Charlie was 14 but had joined up"  through to descriptions of them having to help sort casualties out in shelled villages through to a completely different tone "I really hope Charlie doesn't have to come" and the letters are replaced by small cards with pre-printed "delete which not applicable" choices, I am fine, I have been wounded etc etc.

So I'll wear my poppy in the spirit in which it was intended.

Gordon has no known grave.

image.png.ed6e78ee25df75a19c69bfa3a1debbe5.png

Postscript, Charlie never did have to go, when Gordon was killed his mam told the army he was under age and he was discharged because they "officially" knew he was too young, we have photo's of him with his platoon, he's a fucking bairn.

Fair point and good post. My great grandfather was killed at Gallipoli. Blown up arse over tit by a Turkish shell, as in that great pogues song. As it happens I do attend a remembrance Sunday service to.show my respect and take my kids and explain it to them.From now on though I  do not wish to wear a poppy thanks to wankers who have hijacked it. Its a free country thanks to the men and women who died for it, in some ways not wearing one is therefore a sign of respect. ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

I remember when I was a kid we went to Edinburgh castle and in the chapel there, there are (or were) books of remembrance, never forget looking over at him and he was stood over a book tears streaming down his face, I'm guessing it was his regiments book, mam just ushered me away sort of "come and see some this over here".

Strange how memories come back to me, god knows what his memories were :(

I did the same for my great grandfather last year as it happens. Amazing place. 

• Like 2