Politics

Christmas Tree

Clever from Starmer (if indeed he had anything to do with it at all), it'll put a seed of doubt in the minds of the fanatics that maybe their conspiracy theories of purges aren't actually real.

Having said that, it's also just an accident waiting to happen on another day now.

To be honest, you know I support a very left wing agenda and hope Starmer at least embraces it to a reasonable degree but I'd be more than happy to see these one-man cultists fuck off permanently. 

I'm sure there'll be enough decent left wingers who stay. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NJS said:

To be honest, you know I support a very left wing agenda and hope Starmer at least embraces it to a reasonable degree but I'd be more than happy to see these one-man cultists fuck off permanently. 

I'm sure there'll be enough decent left wingers who stay. 

I agree, this is just a pointless sideshow now, and cult like attachments to anyone are utterly beside the point of what anyone is trying to achieve here. Corbyn is done, he's never going to come back or have another opportunity, they need to move on and find their next champion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

No need to reinstate the whip

It seems Starmer agreed with you. Now the Jewish community can be pissed that Corbyn was reinstated as a member, and the lefties can be pissed that he's still not welcomed back to sit as a Labour MP. Everyone wins! If you're a Tory, at least.

He should just have just thrown him out of the party full stop ffs.

Edited by Rayvin

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/18/labour-party-divided-corbyn-antisemitism

The EHRC found that one of the key ways in which Labour acted unlawfully was by politically interfering in the handling of complaints. Half the party now believes that the original decision to suspend Corbyn amounted to political interference; the other half thinks lifting the suspension was the result of political interference (specifically a “factionally aligned political committee”, according to the Jewish Labour Movement).

Either side can marshall convincing arguments, but this overlooks what is driving Labour’s internal crisis over antisemitism: the absence of trust. Instead of addressing this deeper issue, the charge of political interference has become a stick for members to beat each other with. The party is now more divided than ever, with Corbyn’s ordinary membership being treated as a separate issue to the question of whether the whip should be restored. Rather than moving on, Labour is stuck in a mess of its own making.

-------

There are no winners in this shambles except the Tories. It had to be one thing or the other, not this weak as piss halfway house.

Corbyn could fuck off and do the right thing but he doesn’t really think that’s the right thing because he thinks he’s the one that’s been victimised. 

• Like 2

Momentum sticking their oar in as well obviously. The entire thing is a fucking shambles. 

The tories simply cruise to power every time and this is why. 

People need to forget about Corbyn if labour are to ever be electable. 

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Corbyn could fuck off and do the right thing but he doesn’t really think that’s the right thing because he thinks he’s the one that’s been victimised. 

Yep, certainly he should have done that before now, not sure how effective it would be with it being left this late. He could come out and call off the hounds I guess with a full apology even if he doesn't think it's right but he's not going to do that and I'm not particularly convinced it would make any difference now, the left is out for blood.

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Momentum sticking their oar in as well obviously. The entire thing is a fucking shambles. 

The tories simply cruise to power every time and this is why. 

People need to forget about Corbyn if labour are to ever be electable. 

They're just not a broad church anymore, it's too fractured. We need PR to solve this because Labour is incapable. When the left had power the centre was shouting and screaming and now the shoe is on the other foot both ways. You could argue that a unifier, someone palatable to both sides, could maybe restore this. Burnham maybe. Feels like this is now a make or break situation for Starmer even this soon into his leadership - if he can't unify then he needs to purge, if he purges then he'll almost certainly lose next time out.

But beyond that, we desperately need PR. And it's worth noting that Farage is about to kick off Reform UK which will advocate for an English Parliament and PR. Labour should get out ahead of this or it's going to get torched in the heartlands once again.

Perversely he might be worth voting for if it delivers PR. An English Parliament is irrelevant since we'll basically have that soon by default.

Apparently support for Welsh independence is now at Scotland 2013 levels. It's going to be the north of England and London alone against the Tories at this rate.

The problem with PR is that those who want to have power don't get a majority and are forced to deal not with the nice people in the middle of politics, but generally with the raving lunatics on the extremes.