Politics

Christmas Tree

He did his almost in tears act in the Commons then looked like he couldn’t remember who the fuck he was meant to be upset about the following day on GMTV. I mean if he wants to really own it he should recognise the fella and thousands of others might still be alive if he wasn’t so incompetent. Now imagine the shitstorm if a member of the shadow cabinet tried something like that 

I admit before I post this that I know nowt about politics.

It appears to me (given the above) that this point scoring between the different parts of labour are doing nothing but helping the tories. You can hate Corbyn or your can hate Starmer but ultimately in fighting is reductive. 

We need a (any) Labour government to win an election to make any changes and help people? 

I dont like the the idea that labour is of one people, it should be inclusive but at moment it should be inclusive of people who want the tories out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Remember when Matt Hancock cried last week because his "Step-Grandfather" died of COVID and he had now been personally touched by the awful effects of this disease?

Turns out the bloke he was talking about was (and bear with me) the man who married the woman who used to be married to the man that Hancock's Mother married after divorcing his Dad. I'd be amazed if he's even met the bloke!

8105F126-A0B0-47A9-87DA-AC1BAB3E3C99.jpeg

Can we also acknowledge that Matt Hancock’s Mam obviously loves it up her, too? 

9 hours ago, strawb said:

I admit before I post this that I know nowt about politics.

It appears to me (given the above) that this point scoring between the different parts of labour are doing nothing but helping the tories. You can hate Corbyn or your can hate Starmer but ultimately in fighting is reductive. 

We need a (any) Labour government to win an election to make any changes and help people? 

I dont like the the idea that labour is of one people, it should be inclusive but at moment it should be inclusive of people who want the tories out. 

You're absolutely right - unfortunately this has now been going on for 5 years and it doesn't seem to be a situation that Starmer is capable of fixing. In his defence, I'm not convinced anyone is. I'm increasingly starting to think it just isn't going to happen for Labour, in general.

There isn't actually that much common ground between the left and the centre anymore. If we had a proper electoral system this wouldn't be a problem, but under FPTP, it is. Maybe the way to heal this would be for Starmer to promise PR as the reward for the left falling into line. It would mean the end of Labour governing with a majority ever again if they won power that final time, but it would also mean the end of the Tories.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2018 at 22:13, Christmas Tree said:

told you repeatedly we will agree a cracking deal that will allow Nissan to continue to trade profitably with Zero tarrifs and no friction.

So so this is what’s going to happen and I suggest you bookmark it.

• Haha 3

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/14/keir-starmer-under-fire-failing-challenge-radio-caller-racism

"Keir Starmer under fire for failing to challenge radio caller's racism"

A woman called in worrying about white people being a minority by 2066 and talking about them being persecuted (i.e. great replacement theory) - Starmer's response wasn't terrible IMO, but didn't directly take it head on and failed to call it out for the racist view it is.

So I'm not bringing this up as a stick to beat him with believe it or not - he's playing the game he is because he needs these daft muppets on board and things like "the white race being replaced" is something that they are irrationally concerned about. However, I do think it's worth considering from the point of view of analysing how far from the more sane and informed groups of society he is going to have to travel to make this work. Is it worth it? What is left at the end? How much of this nonsense will we have to swallow just to get our broad church back?

Under fire from who? This appears to have happened yesterday but is the first I've heard of it. Also the three Labour MPs quoted in the article just all happen to be from the same side of the party.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Under fire from who? This appears to have happened yesterday but is the first I've heard of it. Also the three Labour MPs quoted in the article just all happen to be from the same side of the party.

Under fire from the Guardian itself, is what I'd take from this. And in fairness, this is exactly the sort of thing they'd get worked up about.

I've not really approached it from this angle, I was making a more general point about the voter base, but if we're looking at internal party politics, it seems that the Labour left are going to try and do to him what the Labour centre did to Corbyn. Great news for all concerned, I'm sure.

It does appear that the Guardian will effortlessly manage to annoy not just the right, but also every single faction within the centre and left, almost all the time.

Some might say this represents a valuable spread of opinions I guess. We need to hang on to the Guardian though because as terrible as it often is, I'm struggling to think of any other credible centre/left media sources besides the Independent.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/16/unicef-feed-hungry-children-uk-first-time-history

UNICEF providing food packages to hungry children in the UK - the first time they've had to do it in the 70 years they've been operating. What a pathetic nation we are.

@Christmas Tree  Is this poverty yet? You were supposed to let me know when we got here ;)

Edited by Rayvin
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/16/unicef-feed-hungry-children-uk-first-time-history

UNICEF providing food packages to hungry children in the UK - the first time they've had to do it in the 70 years they've been operating. What a pathetic nation we are.

@Christmas Tree  Is this poverty yet? You were supposed to let me know when we got here ;)

That’s beyond shameful. 

Absolutely boils my piss that fucking idiots like CT walk around with their heads up their arses, keeping these cunts in power. 

And it’s only going to get worse…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

That’s beyond shameful. 

Absolutely boils my piss that fucking idiots like CT walk around with their heads up their arses, keeping these cunts in power. 

And it’s only going to get worse…

CT's officially in poverty as well remember? Please don't be angry at the poor.