Politics

Christmas Tree

I’ll be honest here, if a bloke has aspirations to eventually become PM, it’s a bit nit-picky to criticise him for having the flag of his country in his office. 
He’s barely been in position long enough to draw breath, and now he’s the Devil Incarnate. 

This is why Labour allowed the Cunts back in to power- we’re so busy tearing our own to shreds, we take our eye off the real enemy. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ll be honest here, if a bloke has aspirations to eventually become PM, it’s a bit nit-picky to criticise him for having the flag of his country in his office. 
He’s barely been in position long enough to draw breath, and now he’s the Devil Incarnate. 

This is why Labour allowed the Cunts back in to power- we’re so busy tearing our own to shreds, we take our eye off the real enemy. 

Fair enough, I get this and Starmer would obviously always get my vote regardless as the far lesser of two evils. It would be nice to have someone to actively support for a change though, rather than anyone bu the tories. Hopefully he will up his game. 

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

I don't recall Blair doing it at all, despite those photos (which don't depict a huge union flag behind his desk).  I find it quite jarring with Starmer. Maybe that's just unconscious bias on my behalf. Anyway, can't see it winning any elections after Scotland breaks the union. No doubt he will switch to a flag of St George. 

He definitely did use the flag as a backdrop during speeches and party conferences. He had to reposition the party to appeal to flag-waving Middle Englanders. Just as Starmer has to do today if he’s going to win the type of seats back which Corbyn lost. 

I’m sorry like but the early/mid 90s were absolutely massively patriotic & the flag was everywhere, in music, in television, in print. 

Labour dined out on it too. “Cool Britannia” etc 

• Like 1

Actually aye you’re right , I’ve been a bit short sighted there :lol: 

(I think I’m just desperate for anything other than the shower of cunts that have ruled us for a decade)

8 hours ago, Renton said:

Aye, I remember Cool Brittania but it was in the context of europeanism and globalism, not nationalism as such. The 90s weren't nationalistic and isolationist like today. Maybe. 

E’s were good too 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Renton said:

Aye, I remember Cool Brittania but it was in the context of europeanism and globalism, not nationalism as such. The 90s weren't nationalistic and isolationist like today. Maybe. 

this is also true. it was a cool time to be british with britpop, art, films - the feeling that we were a progressive, and outward-looking country.

but using the union jack as a backdrop also spoke to the patriotic voter. i get why blair did it - labour was still associated with the anti-war, anti-nuke CND types of the 1980s. Starmer follows a leader who would rather stick up for russia than britain after they carried out a toxic weapon attack on british soil.

it might feel distasteful but he is being clever. you have to win this type of voter back if you want to govern. whether that means being "tough on crime, tough on the cause of crime", using the union jack, condemning terrorism, saying you'd be prepared to press the nuclear button...whatever.  

28 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

this is also true. it was a cool time to be british with britpop, art, films - the feeling that we were a progressive, and outward-looking country.

but using the union jack as a backdrop also spoke to the patriotic voter. i get why blair did it - labour was still associated with the anti-war, anti-nuke CND types of the 1980s. Starmer follows a leader who would rather stick up for russia than britain after they carried out a toxic weapon attack on british soil.

it might feel distasteful but he is being clever. you have to win this type of voter back if you want to govern. whether that means being "tough on crime, tough on the cause of crime", using the union jack, condemning terrorism, saying you'd be prepared to press the nuclear button...whatever.  

Britpop the brainless, cunty younger brother of shoegaze!

Left wing politics is a bit like supporting Newcastle, you support the team even though the owner and manager are cunts in the hope that one day it will be better.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Britpop was fucking shite like. Although there was some amazing music made in the 90s. 

the indie music of the early to mid 90s was loads better than the shite that followed iyam - travis, coldplay, snow patrol and all that dreary middle of the road stuff. but i'm probably biased because it's what i grew up with.

there was a lot of shite out there too, of course. for every suede verve or blur, you had a menswear, embrace or kula shaker

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

@Rayvin  talk that the government will ditch Holyrood elections slated for April(?) due to the pandemic, depriving SNP of increasing their mandate.. not sure how that works like but apparently Starmer also called for it in his bit on Marr yesterday.. 

Honestly I was thinking to myself that we don't have the technology in place to make voting feasible and safe at the moment so it wouldn't surprise me hugely.

A 6 month raincheck would be ok I think. 

It’s only fair we get to hear the opinions of the average 17 year old*.

*It’s been a while since I’ve been a 17 year old but I assume that these days they all have outspoken newspaper columnists for mums and government ministers for fathers.

Edited by ewerk